• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    OP the .40 is a fine round. Some people complain that it has more recoil then 9mm or. 45. I can't disagree but it is certainly not an uncomfortable cartridge to shoot. The. 40 in a medium sized service pistol is a very versatile gun. What you are asking about would be the Glock 23 and Sig Sauer P229. Either of which I would be proud to carry. Depending on your location I have both a glock and sig you could try.
    Thanks for the kind offer but your 70 miles from me:(

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    So many options but after reading these helpful responses I might just stay with 9 milly in a medium pistol like the 229

If I were starting over with a first handgun that would definitely be a gun on my short list. That or a Walther P99.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    What in the world are you talking about???

Until there is an explanation, this comment will have to stand as the most nonsensical statement of the day.

^^^^Agreed.^^^^ What are you talking about....since when has .40 been an unreliable round. Glock is VERY widely issued in .40 to police agcenys all over. Dont think they would be doing that if this was fact. Maybe the ISP need to learn to shoot better or take care of their gun better lol. IMPD just bought all new glocks in .40. (P.S. I own G19 and G27 both are equally reliable. I use to own a G30 and it was also reliable.)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    What in the world are you talking about???

Until there is an explanation, this comment will have to stand as the most nonsensical statement of the day.

Actually this qoute below would be "the most nonsensical statement of the day" Anyone that thinks the 9mm is not an effective stopping round I dare to volunteer to be shot with one. I don't want to get shot with a .22

Dropping capability springs to mind but I know that's an old debate that rages on.

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Actually this qoute below would be "the most nonsensical statement of the day" Anyone that thinks the 9mm is not an effective stopping round I dare to volunteer to be shot with one. I don't want to get shot with a .22
    I think it depends where the rounds are placed. If its not through the mouth the "point and shoot" message can still get to the trigger finger from the brain and rounds are coming your way even after you have put a couple into his midriff. I think the argument is that the force of the bigger round actually pushes the assailant off balance.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    How tall are you? The reason I ask is that I'm 6'0", 210# and carry either a full size Springfield 1911 or XDm .40 as my EDC with no problems and well concealed. Untucked button-down shirts or sport coats, and I'm good to go.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I can't cite proof but in Korea and Vietnam both there are stories of the .45 not stopping attackers. I totally agree on shot placement being a big factor. but lets face it, most of us in a situation where we have to shoot someone are going to be point shooting- aiming center mass .

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    I can't cite proof but in Korea and Vietnam both there are stories of the .45 not stopping attackers. I totally agree on shot placement being a big factor. but lets face it, most of us in a situation where we have to shoot someone are going to be point shooting- aiming center mass .

When I say not stopping the attacker I meant not stopping the actual attack. Of course 9mm will stop and kill. Its that delay between the rounds entering the body and actual death that is crucial.Sometimes theres enough time for them to react. As a retired Soldier I only ever used 7.62 from an FN FAL and 9mm from a sterling. The 7.62 speaks for itself as its like an elephant running into you with a pointed object and the 9mm from a sub machine gun is usually emptying at least half a dozen rounds into its target until it drops.

Of course I have never used a pistol in combat but I know that when it is used in 9milly there's usually more than a few rounds from a few people going into the target in a combat situation.

Fishe39392

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I know it's been said time and time again on this site, but really you have to find what platform works best for you.
    Remember, whatever you carry could save your life someday so you want to be absolutely certain of your weapon. Everyone has their favorite handgun and caliber and that's what they'll swear by, but opinions gained on the interwebz are just that..opinions.

See if you can't get with some people who'll let you shoot what they have, or see of there's a place nearby that will let you rent guns to try out. Don't "compromise" or settle on anything.

I shot many different handguns, in all calibers and several different combinations of makes/models. This ultimately lead ME to the .40 Glock platform. While I did OK with some of the others, the Glock in .40 just felt natural to me and I shot it near flawlessly. After the first magazine I knew this was the platform for me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    5' 10" 190lbs

Scratcher for what it is worth and directly related to your question. I am also 5'10" tall and 190 lbs. I have no problem carrying a Glock 23. That is one of those unreliable and problematic Glocks chambered in .40 S&W. :rolleyes:

I have several pistols chambered in .40 S&W and have not had any problems with any of them. I have owned several Glocks in .40 S&W and did not have any trouble with any of them. I do have a Walther P99 that had a couple failures to feed when I first got it. Turned out Walther used the same followers in the 9mm and .40 magazines. Phone call and problem resolved.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You are NOT wrong, but mistaken... the reason the .45 was invented, was the Marines, and the Army, were in the Philippines, fighting the Moro Indians... and the LITTLE .38 they were using, wasn't doing the job.. They requested the .45 caliber weapon, and were sent the old six shooter, and then JMB, started development of the 1911.....

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You are NOT wrong, but mistaken... the reason the .45 was invented, was the Marines, and the Army, were in the Philippines, fighting the Moro Indians... and the LITTLE .38 they were using, wasn't doing the job.. They requested the .45 caliber weapon, and were sent the old six shooter, and then JMB, started development of the 1911.....

Yes I know this story also, But I've also heard of people being hit with a .45 and not going down. My point being that 9mm or .45 doesnt matter shot placement does. And I still say anyone Who does not believe the 9mm is effective should volunteer to be a test subject

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Holy Cow! These caliber wars could go on forever...
    Honestly, it doesn't matter much which you chose - 9, 40 or 45 are all very effective if you use a decent modern HP. My personal perference is the 9 since I'm not made of money and I can afford more rounds for practice / pistol proficiency, and it has the least amount of recoil (quicker follow-up shots if needed), and you can fit more rounds in the magazine compared to 40 and 45 in same sized pistols. Three good reasons to start off with a 9mm if that is your only / primary HD/EDC weapon.
    ---
    GB!

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Why are you worried about caliber? Carry what is comfortable to you. I carry a glock 30 .45 and I think its perfect.

It is true you should find a carry gun comfortable. I like your choice in a 45. A 45 makes a hole that is one and half times larger than a 9mm (before expansion, after expansion the difference will be more) and weighs almost twice as much. I know for sure with glocks and most likely with other that the .40 and 9mm are on the same platform. The only difference is the caliber.

For sure I would rather have a 9mm in the chest than a 45 in the wall. However, I would rather have a 45 in the chest than a 9mm in the chest!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom