• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I carry a 17+1 round 9mm firearm using Federal Hi-Shok JHP every day, every where.

I am 100% confident and capable of taking down a threat if my life is on the line.
    Stop worrying about the media mass and what is better than another.

They will all put a hole in the BG and make them bleed. It's all about your aim and how well you shoot your firearm.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Have you ever dropped anyone? Just because you carry a .45 doesn't mean it gives you the power of God to stop someone in their tracks. Shot placement is key....by far.

I never said I had the power of God. It is fact that a 45 makes a bigger hole. the rest of it from what the guy is wearing to how much he weighs or anything else you can think of are parameters that are out of your control.

What is this assumption that one can't be accurate with a 45. When one compares different calibers to find which MAY stop an assailant the best you should assume they are hitting in the same spot. Otherwise, you could make a case for any projectile.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    look.......First, you should pick the weapon that you are comfortable with carrying, comfortable with its recoil, and can accurately fire......to be accurate you must practice...and 9mm is cheaper to fire on a consistent basis..

the notion that 9mm (or any self defense caliber) is innefective or less effective is completely IRRELEVANT to the caliber itself.....this is what I've tried to point out......it blows down to the specifics of your ammunition choice and your ACCURACY with your weapon.........my post was presenting this to inform you the best possible method at choosing the right ammunition for whatever caliber you prefer and to not let rumors of a caliber be your deciding factor...a bigger hole does NOT mean it's more effective..nor does more rounds into the target ..not meant to spark argument..........hopefully, all this has made sense....pick the wepaon you like, and then pick the best ammo for it for self-defense and practice away....

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Well I did go and ask for thoughts and opinions and you guys delivered. Ive decided on 9mm since its cheap to practice with and I can get more rounds in my mags.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Those are good reasons. It is actually something under your control. Better than inconclusive research.

Well I did go and ask for thoughts and opinions and you guys delivered. Ive decided on 9mm since its cheap to practice with and I can get more rounds in my mags.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN

I promise you won't be dissatisfied with that caliber choice. Some can knock it all they want...
    But I promise you none of them would still ever volunteer to stand on the bad side of a 9mm. ;)

And I personally chose 9mm for a few things... (And I only mention because it helped me decide)
    Follow-up shots/Low recoil - Phenomenal to shoot without a ton of kick.
    High capacity magazines - Lets face it, if you ever have to use it, chances are you won't be shoulders squared and aiming through your sights.
    I am probably going to miss (Knowing the possibility that I may be jumping, diving or fighting off someone in the heat)...
    I'd rather have more chances to hit the bad guy than hope my lesser amount of slightly larger round DOES.
    Ammo is significantly cheaper - Well, it just is. However, if you carry a good JHP - Expect to spend $1-2 per cartridge.

Hope that gives you a better idea of whether this best applies for you,

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    You are NOT wrong, but mistaken... the reason the .45 was invented, was the Marines, and the Army, were in the Philippines, fighting the Moro Indians... and the LITTLE .38 they were using, wasn't doing the job.. They requested the .45 caliber weapon, and were sent the old six shooter, and then JMB, started development of the 1911.....

The reason the 38 wasn't doing the job was that the moro Indians were high on hallucinogenic drugs. They needed a round that would put them off balance and knock them down which is probably something that should be brought into the discussion when you consider that there is often a connection between Alcohol and/or drugs and violent crime. Now I'm finding myself swinging in another direction. LOL
    Watch this video (From 1:45 if you dont want to watch the whole thing) by Ted Fearney who is a retired NZ Army Soldier and a bit of a history buff on all things WW2
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/nzww2buff?feature=uploademail_ch#p/u/13/XwTtDnmcl5A[/ame]

Last edited:

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    OP carry what you feel most comfortable with, shoot all three and decide, remember you can dress to cover your firearm just takes a little planning, or OC and join the club.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The reason the 38 wasn't doing the job was that the moro Indians were high on hallucinogenic drugs. They needed a round that would put them off balance and knock them down which is probably something that should be brought into the discussion when you consider that there is often a connection between Alcohol and/or drugs and violent crime. Now I'm finding myself swinging in another direction. LOL
    Watch this video (From 1:45 if you dont want to watch the whole thing) by Ted Fearney who is a retired NZ Army Soldier and a bit of a history buff on all things WW2http://www.youtube.com/user/nzww2buff?feature=uploademail_ch#p/u/13/XwTtDnmcl5A

here's a good read from Ayoob....
    http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob93.html

"knocking off balance" is another one of those "myths".....even a 12ga slug doesn't have such an effect and plenty of .45's have failed to stop an attacker in 1st round shots who were "hopped up" on some substance.....again, it's simply in the ammunition choice and trying to disrupt the CNS....

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Holy Cow! These caliber wars could go on forever...
    wouldn't you rather not only make the biggest hole possible, but make it with a round that's proven to create even more internal damage and/or consistently disrupt the CNS??
    To each their own. But these factors encourage me to stick with my EDC .45 :) http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

a handgun is a poor substitute for a rifle.
    Or a shotgun!

Do they make a IWB holster for those now?

Getting the rifle out of your waistband can present a bit of a problem though:n00b:
    Just boot carry like me and be super cool!! :rockwoot: :D

JokieBootCarry-1.jpg

:laugh:

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    Seems to me that, were there a "magic bullet," there would be no debate. That several common calibers are preferred, and that no one caliber is far and away chosen over another seems to indicate it's more important that a person carries than it is what caliber they choose to carry. Beyond that, there seems to be some sort of ego boost (for lack of a better term) for the individual touting one caliber over another. Really, don't take it personally if I don't carry the same caliber as you.

I wish I could remember the source of the data that suggests the majority of altercations between criminals and armed citizens end when the victim presents a firearm (with no shots actually fired). The data goes on to suggest that most altercations are ended without the perp being mortally wounded ....or even shot. Again, I really wish I had the reference (if anyone can recall anything such as this, please post it). In any event, the end result is that the actual caliber was far less important than the presence of a firearm by the victim. By a wide, huge, enormously vast margin, that trumps any caliber debate. Essentially, criminals, apparently, don't like to get hurt ...nor do they like the sight of their own blood.

When all is said and done, I hope more and more people choose to carry, open or concealed, and that they encourage others to do the same. For now, be glad (and proud) that we live in a land where we have that choice to use and exercise that right. Someday you might need me to watch your back ...I don't think you'll mind, then, what caliber I choose.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    If your going to carry, think about practicality. in my own opinion caliber isn't as important as being about to hit your target. there are many different opinions and "tactics" that other people prefer, but that may not work for you. do some research, hit the range, and see what suites you best. hope this helps.

Top Bottom