• ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    How can you say caliber does not matter? A 45 makes a hole that is one and half times larger than a 9mm (before expansion, after expansion the difference will be more) and weighs almost twice as much. I know for sure with glocks and most likely with other that the .40 and 9mm are on the same platform. The only difference is the caliber.

For sure I would rather have a 9mm in the chest than a 45 in the wall. However, I would rather have a 45 in the chest than a 9mm in the chest!!
    one and a half? a 9mm is .35. a 45 is .45. the difference is .10. by your numbers the 45 would be .875. that has to be somewhere near shotgun territory. small artillary? lets compare m9 to 1911. 8 rounds of 45, is going to make a unexpanded holes of 3.60 total. m9 holds 15. so 15x.35 which equals 5.25 total. which number is bigger. just for fun guys. thought you might enjoy the stupid numbers.:ingo:

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I just bought a Ruger SR9c. They have one in .40, don't know what the designation is off the top of my head.

Awesome carry options. It comes with a ten round mag and a 17 round mag. The 17 extends the grip so it's just like a full sized pistol. The 10 comes with a flat floor plate or a finger extension that really works.

As a bonus, the trigger is outstanding.

First, good choice in sidearm. I too carry an SR9c, I am looking forward to outfitting it with a Crimson Trace to see how I like it with a laser. Love the trigger too.

Shot in the dark here, but I am going to guess that it's SR40c. :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    How can you say caliber does not matter? A 45 makes a hole that is one and half times larger than a 9mm (before expansion, after expansion the difference will be more) and weighs almost twice as much. I know for sure with glocks and most likely with other that the .40 and 9mm are on the same platform. The only difference is the caliber.

For sure I would rather have a 9mm in the chest than a 45 in the wall. However, I would rather have a 45 in the chest than a 9mm in the chest!!

reference my post on page 1 of this thread....works cited clearly reference that hole size does not equal faster incapacitation

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    That is comparing diameter. Yon need to compare area.

k
    one and a half? a 9mm is .35. a 45 is .45. the difference is .10. by your numbers the 45 would be .875. that has to be somewhere near shotgun territory. small artillary? lets compare m9 to 1911. 8 rounds of 45, is going to make a unexpanded holes of 3.60 total. m9 holds 15. so 15x.35 which equals 5.25 total. which number is bigger. just for fun guys. thought you might enjoy the stupid numbers.:ingo:

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    ^^ second that.

Plus it's about how quickly they go down, not about how many bullets you can put in them over the course of 15 seconds. Otherwise get that kel tec pistol that shoots 30 rounds of 22mag. But I don't know of anyone using it as a self defense gun.

On the 1st shot 45 is most likely to bring them down.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    ^^ second that.

Plus it's about how quickly they go down, not about how many bullets you can put in them over the course of 15 seconds. Otherwise get that kel tec pistol that shoots 30 rounds of 22mag. But I don't know of anyone using it as a self defense gun.

On the 1st shot 45 is most likely to bring them down.

not necessarily...also reference my post on page one.......

caliber makes NO DIFFERENCE.....specific ballistics of your choice in ammo DOES as does accuracy

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here

Where did I say it doesn't matter? Did you not see what my EDC is?! Of course I'd rather use .45 but also I'm very comfortable with shooting it first and foremost.I started on the G17. But I shot the G30 and was more accurate and proficient with it, so I got the G30 for my EDC. I chose it not because of caliber, but how well I've shot with it.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    my first post pointed out that size of the round (caliber) does not determine or play a significant role in a "one shot drop" scenario....these occurances are reported as involving every caliber from .38/.380 up to .45....and there effectiveness at obtaining such a result is based on characteristics of the choice in ammunition design..NOT the caliber (size) of the round..........will they both put holes in someone that bleeds? ...YES....will they both create an instant stop? it's possible.............does the size of the round mean an instant drop? absolutely NOT............does the ballistics of certain ammunition design attribute to obtaining and instant drop? according to Ayoob and his researching organization(s), thousands of shooting reports and coroner's reports...YES.....also supported by leading/expert neurologists

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I just don't believe that there has never been a time where one caliber out performed the others.

For me I rather make the biggest hole possible

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    How about everybody just carries the gun that they feel can shoot the most accurate. If you like .45s but can't hit **** your priorities are messed up.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I just don't believe that there has never been a time where one caliber out performed the others.

For me I rather make the biggest hole possible

I understand your theory...but wouldn't you rather not only make the biggest hole possible, but make it with a round that's proven to create even more internal damage and/or consistently disrupt the CNS?? as I pointed out...even with a larger hole, once an attack has begun the criminal has elevated the amount of oxygen going to his brain/body as well as adrenaline..and so, simply making a bigger hole, even stopping his heart will allow him to continue his attack for up to 14 seconds.......whereas if you effectively disrupt the CNS, he's going to stop on impact

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Too much fighting! I just can't decide!

9mm = less expense, more capacity, less recoil
    .45 = bigger bullet, bigger hole

Wow both are good points. Since I couldn't make up my mind I just standardized on. 40 S&W. And people say it is a cartridge that answer a question that wasn't asked.

Good thing the OP original question was specifically about that cartridge.

Top Bottom