• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    I don't want to go small,which for me is 9mm, or large,45. So I'm thinking a 40 in a medium size that will conceal well. Sig and Glock are my options. Thoughts? opinions?

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here
    Why are you worried about caliber? Carry what is comfortable to you. I carry a glock 30 .45 and I think its perfect.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    with the huge selection of modern SD rounds, the caliber itself is becoming less and less important. If you like the 9mm, do it. There are plenty of 9mm JHPs out there.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    agreed....don't be so concerned with caliber....."power" relies on two things....your accuracy and ammo choice...NOT caliber...........9mm you can hide a little better and afford to practice a LOT more with it...which is what you want with your every day carry pistol

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Location Location Location

It's more important to get good shot placement with a smaller caliber than to miss with a larger one.

I can't even count how many selfdefense stories I have heard/read where the person has effectively defended themselves with a .38 or .22

I am of the mindset of finding what is comfortable for you to carry AND able to to deliver effective shots with. If you are better with a 9mm, and suck with a .45, well I would be carrying the 9. Just my opinion.

CtWest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Here

It's more important to get good shot placement with a smaller caliber than to miss with a larger one.

I can't even count how many selfdefense stories I have heard/read where the person has effectively defended themselves with a .38 or .22

I am of the mindset of finding what is comfortable for you to carry AND able to to deliver effective shots with. If you are better with a 9mm, and suck with a .45, well I would be carrying the 9. Just my opinion.

+1

Comfortablility with what you're carrying is huge, and knowing how to shoot and how good you are at shooting it. Also, how you plan on carrying OC or CC or my personal preference buttescotch....

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Dropping capability springs to mind but I know that's an old debate that rages on.

"dropping capability" and "stopping power" is more or less a "myth"....they will all effectively stop an attacker provided that you are proficient enough with your weapon to hit what you aim at in a high stress situation.......look into research by Masaad Ayoob and his cronies.....they continually research actual field reports and coroner's reports of shootings involving police, civilians, and even some military and he sheds light on the two general "beliefs" surrounding wound ballistics...consisting of "jello junkies" (lab rats that study damage caused by specific ammunition to ballistics gel)...and the other side of the fence you have "street researchers" (such as Masaad) where they study from actual proven results on human bodies and in the old days, live fire testing at slaughter houses...........the FBI approved loads list is based on jello junky theories of gel penetration...and personally, the best choice you can make for ammo would be cross referencing lists between Masaad's research with the FBI approved load list.......

the theory for jello junkies is basically "the larger the hole, the more blood loss, the faster the drop"..which can/does work but because of the adrenaline and elevated oxygen to the brain they can maintain consciousness and physical ability for about 14 seconds after the shot, EVEN if the heart stops on impact....however, this theory does not account for the disruption of the central nervous system (CNS) which has been proven to play a MAJOR factor in the "stopping" of a person, BUT there is no way to test it's effects or what causes it....but based off the field reports Masaad lays out these are usually the "one shot drops" and usually display the characteristics described in the below paragraph

you will find that there are round from several different calibers including 9mm, .40, and .45.........based off Masaad's research you will also find that typically, the "type" of ammunition which is the most effective at stopping a person instantly is that of a MEDIUM weight bullet, with a relatively HIGH velocity...and since he's released such research more and more ammo is coming out that fit these criteria... look for these along the lines of 9mm= 115Gr JHP @ 1150/1200fps or more, .40=135Gr HP @ 1300fps, .45=185Gr @ 1140fps.......of course there are other rounds which have solid proven results but ones with these characteristics seem to have less negative points about them......one I recall Masaad specifically referencing a coroner's report in which the coroner asked the officer "what sort of explosive ammunition were you using?"

Last edited:

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Not being a jerk by asking: But have you ever compared a 9x19mm and .40 S&W side by side? The difference isn't all that bad.

My preferred order of round is: .45 ACP : 40 S&W : 9mm. But I'd just as happily reach for the 9mm as I would the .45 ACP, it is after all more affective than my fist.

Scratcher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    In a house
    Not being a jerk by asking: But have you ever compared a 9x19mm and .40 S&W side by side? The difference isn't all that bad.

My preferred order of round is: .45 ACP : 40 S&W : 9mm. But I'd just as happily reach for the 9mm as I would the .45 ACP, it is after all more affective than my fist.

I've never fired anything above 9mm in a pistol

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Go with what feels best to you. What you are most comfortable with and shoot the best.
    I love the .40 and have been carrying it for a few years now. The .40 is my main caliber. My EDC is my G27, I also have the G23 and will soon have the G22 as well.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville

100% with you.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I have a buddy who fired my Bersa Thunder 40 Cal and he loved it so much, he's looking for the Compact version in a 9mm. I carry my 40 from time to time and because it's the 4" barrel, it tends to poke out from under my shirt on occasion. For me, it's really not a big deal cause--well cause I really don't care if someone knows I'm carrying or not. HA!

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, people have given you a lot to think about regarding caliber selection, and I won't pile on (for the record, I have handguns, and carry, in all three calibers referenced and think they are all fine for SD), so in answer to your original question, I think the SIG P229 in .40S&W would be a fine choice to consider, and it can be converted to 9mm with a barrel change, if you desire. My carry weapon in .40S&W is a S&W 4006, and it's a fine weapon, but it weighs an ever loving ton and requires a good belt and holster to be comfortable all day. Speaking of which, no matter what you choose, don't shirk on the belt or holster (most importantly the belt, IMHO), as the right belt/holster combo makes carrying a full sized stainless 1911 as easy as as a mid sized 9mm.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I just bought a Ruger SR9c. They have one in .40, don't know what the designation is off the top of my head.

Awesome carry options. It comes with a ten round mag and a 17 round mag. The 17 extends the grip so it's just like a full sized pistol. The 10 comes with a flat floor plate or a finger extension that really works.

As a bonus, the trigger is outstanding.

MeatyBacchus

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    What in the world are you talking about???

Until there is an explanation, this comment will have to stand as the most nonsensical statement of the day.

What trouble would that be?

ISP dropped the G22 due to reliability issues with an attached light -

Glocks in .40 tend to have a good amount of issues besides that.

Sigs in .40 also have reliability issues, I know of at least one department around Indy that had to switch.

.40 Caliber in general is known to be harder on the guns, harder for new shooters to learn, and give more issues to most handguns when compared to the same in 9MM or .45.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't want to go small,which for me is 9mm, or large,45. So I'm thinking a 40 in a medium size that will conceal well. Sig and Glock are my options. Thoughts? opinions?

OP the .40 is a fine round. Some people complain that it has more recoil then 9mm or. 45. I can't disagree but it is certainly not an uncomfortable cartridge to shoot. The. 40 in a medium sized service pistol is a very versatile gun. What you are asking about would be the Glock 23 and Sig Sauer P229. Either of which I would be proud to carry. Depending on your location I have both a glock and sig you could try.

Top Bottom