• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dooshie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Indy
    theses are the best bees for gardens. they pollinate better than honey bees. they fumble when they land and spread the goodness that they are carrying better than the honey bee. so if you own a garden make them a house and your garden will do a lot better than you neighbors cuz of theses pesky little buggers

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    theses are the best bees for gardens. they pollinate better than honey bees. they fumble when they land and spread the goodness that they are carrying better than the honey bee. so if you own a garden make them a house and your garden will do a lot better than you neighbors cuz of theses pesky little buggers
    I have several for sale if you're interested...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Probably pollinating, there are hundreds of them on our red bud tree when it blooms. I've seen them on the creeping Charlie that grows in the yard. I saw one with pollen on his legs going into a hole the other day. The males will fly at you when you swing and miss, they will fly towards you if you wave your hand at them. They aren't social like a bumble bee, they fight with each other, bumble bees and honey bees have a pecking order per say.

I'm going to go buy one of those electric fly swatters at harbor freight and see how those work. My only fear is missing and crushing it against a porch post!
    The males are the ones that just hover around and act territorial right? The ones I saw were definitely flying with purpose, not hovering at all, it was challenging to get them because of that. Typically when I swat at one that is "hovering" they fly away if I miss them. These did not fly away, they pursued me if I missed. That being said, not sure what they could be pollinating, my yard is "that yard" with very few weeds, just thick, luscious grass!

Carpenter bees won't hurt you if you step on them. They don't sting. They bite. They can't do that if they are in two pieces.
    I meant "step on them to make sure they are dead". Sometimes, when swatting them with the tennis racket, if it doesn't dismember them they are just stunned and after a few seconds they get up and fly away. Therefore, it becomes necessary to pursue and step on them to ensure death. My question about using fishing line on the racket was in regards to ensuring a dismembering of them; would it work?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The males are the ones that just hover around and act territorial right? The ones I saw were definitely flying with purpose, not hovering at all, it was challenging to get them because of that. Typically when I swat at one that is "hovering" they fly away if I miss them. These did not fly away, they pursued me if I missed. That being said, not sure what they could be pollinating, my yard is "that yard" with very few weeds, just thick, luscious grass!

I meant "step on them to make sure they are dead". Sometimes, when swatting them with the tennis racket, if it doesn't dismember them they are just stunned and after a few seconds they get up and fly away. Therefore, it becomes necessary to pursue and step on them to ensure death. My question about using fishing line on the racket was in regards to ensuring a dismembering of them; would it work?

Sounds dispatching stunned carpenter bees sounds like a good task for a Spyderco.

I've had to use a knife on ticks before when they would not stay crushed. Those little bastiches are tough. Well, they're tough until you cut them in half.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    These are great traps you can build yourself for cheap. I did several, and friends have done them and they work well. I just used treated 2 x 4's. You can't actively hunt them and win that game. Traps get them all the time even when you are gone. Hopefully it will do it before they do lots of damage. Even if you kill a few, they may be back next year. These traps were easy to make, and a good investment for future use.

Carpenter Bee Traps (UPGRADED)

Thanks for the post and the link, we are literally swarmed with these bees and tyring of swatting them. Ill be building these next weekend.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I used an old tennis racket to kill 2 that were always hanging out at my kids' play set. It was quick and easy.

Thanks for the tip

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    They've invaded the roof trusses of my getaway cabin. Normally, I leave all of Mother Nature's creatures alone, but in this case I'm declaring war.

Thanks to the upthread links, I made my trap yesterday .... and decided to name it ! :D

IMG_20160511_142328618_HDR-M.jpg

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    They've invaded the roof trusses of my getaway cabin. Normally, I leave all of Mother Nature's creatures alone, but in this case I'm declaring war.

Thanks to the upthread links, I made my trap yesterday .... and decided to name it ! :D

Awesome! Seems like a nice, inviting type of place!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You need another trap right beside it for the relatives of the dying bee to stay.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ticks can only be killed with fire. Same can be said of anything with 8 legs.

Sounds dispatching stunned carpenter bees sounds like a good task for a Spyderco.

I've had to use a knife on ticks before when they would not stay crushed. Those little bastiches are tough. Well, they're tough until you cut them in half.

Top Bottom