• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Pump Seven dust into the hole. Works great on hornets too. Carry it into the hive and kills them all.

I took an empty dish-washing liquid bottle, enlarged the hole in the spout slightly and inserted a piece of aquarium tubing that extends to near the bottom of the bottle. Then I filled the bottle half-full of sevin dust. You can stick the tubing deep inside the carpenter bee holes and give a few pumps on the bottle and fill the hole with sevin. It works no matter what the angle of the hole.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I took an empty dish-washing liquid bottle, enlarged the hole in the spout slightly and inserted a piece of aquarium tubing that extends to near the bottom of the bottle. Then I filled the bottle half-full of sevin dust. You can stick the tubing deep inside the carpenter bee holes and give a few pumps on the bottle and fill the hole with sevin. It works no matter what the angle of the hole.

I'm going to try this, except I am going to fill my bottle half empty. Cuz I am a pessimist.
    Also going to make some traps this weekend.
    They used to only be in the barn... now I find them buzzing around the house a lot. Damn males chasing everything around them... tells me there are nests they are guarding.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I cut a 2×4 length wise and the bee had drilled almost 3 feet. As long as you can put it in the opening that it crawls out it works. Bee creative!

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    My son and I ended up with seven in a short time. He loved it.
    image_zpsgpab9y8j.jpeg
    [/

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Lol... on a nice evening this week, while my daughter was playing outside there were a lot of them doing something in the grass (hovering, then landing in the grass). It was the perfect opportunity so I grabbed the tennis racket. At one point I missed one and it immediately came after me (typically the males flee when threatened, would this indicate it's a female?). In self defense I began wildly swinging the racket until I made contact, I quickly chased the black blob hurtling across the sky until I realized there were 2 blobs. I had successfully dismembered the bee mid-air with the tennis racket. Which gave me an idea. Our bee-wacking racket is in such bad shape it is no longer used for tennis. It could really go for a re-stringing. What if I were to re-string it with a monofilament fishing line? Thinner, less visible, and easier to "slice" through the bees which would eliminate the need to find where they land and step on them.

Thoughts?
    Carpenter bees won't hurt you if you step on them. They don't sting. They bite. They can't do that if they are in two pieces.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Now that's quality time with the kids! My only concern with letting my boy play around is that he'll do it with a bumble bee and get stung.

That is a nice mess there you have.. almost enough to eat. I did the same with my granddaughter's trying to teach them not to be afraid of bee's.. respectful but not afraid. They love to finish them off. Sort of bee paste when the carnage is over. :dunno:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I've had lots of carpenter bees making their home in the wooden swing set in my backyard. WD-40 sprayed into the holes in the evening will kill any that are in there. They will crawl out and fall to the ground. They are usually in the holes in the evening, that's a good time to attack. A badminton racket works and is fun. If I lived in the country, I'd try my luck with a .22 revolver and shot shells. I haven't tried Sevin dust yet, but that's my next step. I'm down to just a couple of bees hanging around, but I want to get some dust in there to kill the larvae. I like the idea of an empty dishwashing liquid bottle and aquarium tubing to puff the dust in there, that beats buying an applicator bulb.

Rhinestone Pete

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Greenwood, IN
    I've used a product called Delta Dust. Works great and lots of dead Carpenter Bees. I bought mine on ebay with the a duster. Just a puff in each hole and the next day you'll be amazed at how many there really are. Plus, if another bee enters the hole, it dies too. The product stays active for several months.

Top Bottom