bump counts on WTS Threads, why do people allow them to get so high?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I have noticed trend, at least what I think is a trend, in post counts as a result of bumps increase. Is this typical of times without a gun scare? It seems that it's counter productive for the seller to allow them to get so high. What are your thoughts??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is their stuff to sell. If I am selling the price sometimes has to be adjusted to the market. If it does not move then back in the safe.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Because it's better than creating a whole new ad. The whole reason ads get bumped is because very few people who are just browsing look past 2-3 pages of ads, AND a fair number of people can't seem to be bothered to close their ads when it is sold, or at least mark it as sold, so bumping makes sense in a high traffic site. Guns that aren't common, or not an excessively great deal may take a while to sell and there's nothing wrong with that, new buyers are always coming along. As far as post counts go, I didn't think that any posts in the classifieds and the welcome section counted towards overall post counts. I just bumped an ad I have and it didn't increase my post count. Not that post count means a damn thing past the initial 50.

Spasmo used to go through and clean out excess pages of bumps for folks, something I appreciated.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've noticed that lately too. IF an ad has 5 pages of bumps, you can bet the price is out of line. I won't even open the ad at that point.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    The eternal optimist? If bump #84 didn't do it, maybe #85 will!

The OP asked if it was counterproductive. At what point do you delete the post - wait a week, then post a "fresh" posting? Like taking your house off the market for a month so buyers can't tell it's been on the market for 422 days?

Just thoughts from me, someone who rarely -if ever- spends time in the classifieds.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've never really given the number of bumps much thought. Some folks are better at bumping their ads on a timely fashion than others, some are asking too much money, or whatever. If it's something I am interested in, the number of bumps has no bearing on whether I check out the listing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've noticed that lately too. IF an ad has 5 pages of bumps, you can bet the price is out of line. I won't even open the ad at that point.

I'm kind of the same way. If it's something I've been watching, I might check the last post to see if it says, "price drop" or something to that effect, then go back and check the original price. If it hasn't dropped and it's more than I'm willing to pay, I move on, rather than going through all 5 pages of bumps.

This happens in "real life" too. I was just at the Bargersville flea market this morning and saw the same Swedish Mauser carbine that I saw a month or so ago. Price was too high then (IMHO) and it was still the same today. Guess some folks are just stubborn, or maybe they're just not in any hurry to sell. :dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I view the classifieds as my opportunity to market my product. I try to post good pictures and a price that gives the buyer the opportunity to save some money, while not making me lose much. The problem lies in people trying to MAKE money on a product that can be purchased new at the same price or even for less money. If I don't get a bite after four or five bumps, I close the ad.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If I put a gun for sale & I don't get the money I want, then it doesn't get sold, I'm not going to give my gun away

I'm not sure what you mean by giving your gun away. If you purchase a G17 for $535, should you believe you can put 100 rounds through it and post the "like new" G17 for $530 and get it? I have to ask, what is really giving away your gun?

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :):.......
    An' when ya see sumthin's had......?......I dunno :dunno: over 1000 views,with no takers ?.....:):......ought'a tell ya you too da*n high,LOL!...:):
    'Knives' section's good x'ample o' that,hahahahahaha......some real doozy's in 'at thing,hahahaha....:):

deanald2pt0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    NW Indy
    I personally think they should limit bumps to 48 or 72 hours instead of the current 24 hours. That way newer stuff isn't constantly being bumped off the 1st page because somebody keeps bumping there overpriced item. IDK, that might not change anything either.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Increased bump time might help. Also if you're trying to sell your gun for a hundred more that everybody else, you'll probably need to be bump crazy. Most buyers do their homework.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy

And I'm the opposite. I look for those old multi page ads to see if there has been a price drop, then if I am interested in buying, pm'ing what I believe to be a reasonable offer, and if the seller takes it, great, if not, nothing lost.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I'm not sure what you mean by giving your gun away. If you purchase a G17 for $535, should you believe you can put 100 rounds through it and post the "like new" G17 for $530 and get it? I have to ask, what is really giving away your gun?
    Que I buy quality collectors guns, That way my money will always be there, I don't put guns for sale, that I know I won't get the money I'm asking.

Top Bottom