bump counts on WTS Threads, why do people allow them to get so high?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I sort it all out by getting a daily update of new posts in a couple places I really want to be awarw of. Much easier to scan an email for new threads than sort through the forums. Occasionally I follow an item individually. I can tell by the first post if I'm interested. If not the thread is not looked at again.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I sort it all out by getting a daily update of new posts in a couple places I really want to be awarw of. Much easier to scan an email for new threads than sort through the forums. Occasionally I follow an item individually. I can tell by the first post if I'm interested. If not the thread is not looked at again.

This was another one of my thoughts. Agree or not, this is what I do. It seems easier to just look for the 0-3 post threads for me anyway.:dunno:

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    I view the classifieds as my opportunity to market my product. I try to post good pictures and a price that gives the buyer the opportunity to save some money, while not making me lose much. The problem lies in people trying to MAKE money on a product that can be purchased new at the same price or even for less money. If I don't get a bite after four or five bumps, I close the ad.

Thank You! :rockwoot:

I'm not saying that you can't let them get so high, I just believe that if it's on INGO, AR15, HKPro, Etc it's all the same. You get more activity/views trying to sell with less than 5-6 posts.....+20 just seems lazy:n00b:. I'm really just trying to help and not offend, I PROMISE! :twocents::ingo:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Even if I am interested in the gun but think the price is way out of the ball park, I give up looking at the ad. If they haven't gotten a clue and made the price more reasonable within 5-6 bumps, I give up looking at it.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sometimes it only takes a few hours for an ad to get moved off the first page and within a day it may be on the third page, mostly due to bumps. If you want people to see your ad, you gotta' bump it now and then. However, if the item is priced reasonably, it's gonna' sell pretty quickly.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    On the Classifieds here, I've seen military surplus type firearms offered for a FAIR market price that don't sell right away.

To say that it's always JUST because the price is too high is a pretty simplistic and not always accurate explanation.

Oftentimes, I've seen these firearms for sale for a long time before they sell.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    On the Classifieds here, I've seen military surplus type firearms offered for a FAIR market price that don't sell right away.

To say that it's always JUST because the price is too high is a pretty simplistic and not always accurate explanation.

Oftetimes, I've seen these firearms for sale for a long time before they sell.

Repped.

Yeah, some people are asking stupid prices for their stuff. But there's a lot of things for which there is also a very limited market and those things tend to be slow to sell regardless.

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy

Oftentimes, I've seen these firearms for sale for a long time before they sell.

As you can see from my commitment in these previous posts I agree.

1. Prices (believe it or not, Indiana has pretty good prices on firearms compared to many states not KY or OK)
    2. Limited Forum Audience (this really effects the sellers of rear guns)
    3. PICS.....did I say pics?
    4. Selling out of Season (example:hunting guns in the Spring)

At the end of the day, it just seems like high post counts don't help. Maybe, submitting a new thread or including something to educate us like cutting and pasting additional descriptions from the manufactures. (me needing educated as much as the next guy if not more)

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    As you can see from my commitment in these previous posts I agree.

1. Prices (believe it or not, Indiana has pretty good prices on firearms compared to many states not KY or OK)
    2. Limited Forum Audience (this really effects the sellers of rear guns)
    3. PICS.....did I say pics?
    4. Selling out of Season (example:hunting guns in the Spring)

Another one I would add

5. Distance from seller.

There have been guns on here I am definitely interested in purchasing, but as soon as I saw where the seller was located, I knew it wouldn't work out. I live almost as far north as you can get and still be in Indiana. I have to pass on some good deals because if I factor in the price of gas and my time to get to the seller, the used pricing savings are gone. Even if the seller was willing to ship the item, by the time I paid for that, and the FFL, I would be in the same boat.

Last edited:

MJ06IU

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Indy
    Another one I would add

5. Distance from seller.

There have been guns on here I am definitely interested in purchasing, but as soon as I saw where the seller was located, I knew it wouldn't work out. I live almost as far north as you can get and still be in Indiana. I have to pass on some good deals because if I factor in the price of gas and my time to get to the seller, the used pricing savings are gone. Even if the seller was willing to ship the item, by the time I paid for that, and the FFL, I would be in the same boat.

That makes since, it just isn't a big deal for me because my work takes me almost all over the state. If I had to factor in gas I might not travel more than 50-75 each way..... Does anyone know if we can ship firearms within the state to another resident without a FFL involved? Pretty sure that we can, however I've never done it because I'd want to be home if a firearm was being delivered to my house.....I'm just Sayin! ;)

Good Point seeker1321!

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    I don't mind them actually. I am new to guns so when I am looking for a gun I.E. a G19 Gen4(a gun that I wish I could have bought used from this site, unfortunately didn't know about it at the time) I type it into the search bar and the 5 page bumps offer me very quick insight as to what an unreasonable price is and I can go from there. From that point I can read the ones that sold very quickly and I can see " ok that guy bought one for 150 bucks less than the other guy I should wait for a deal closer to that...."

Just my :twocents:bcuz if those guys didnt exist, all I would have to go by is the guys that are trying to sell their gun for crazy money!

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    Some people just don't need to sell for a low price and can wait it out. Theres always someone looking to pay your price. You just have to be patient..

Top Bottom