Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey threadjackers! this is about fire ants! And Tennessee. And good ol' boy neighbors. And 'Murica. Yeah.

We had them in our house. It was built on a slab and they nested somewhere under the shower. We tried lots of things to try to get rid of them. It got way out of hand. Finally I had enough of that. I had some Suspend SC that I used in the garage. I sprayed it everywhere I saw fire ants. When it was done there was nothing but dead ants everywhere. The bathroom floor was stained concrete and the floor looked like it was carpeted with dead ants. I don't think it got to the queen because a few days later there was a new mound outside the house.

This was when I was waging all out war, before I learned about the Texas two-step method and the nature of fire ants. Heck, I never told my wife this but I probably chased them under my slab by my war tactics. But after I settled for detente, I never had any issues with them in the house.

See above. Bed bugs aren't particular to Indiana, but I'd rather have neither.

With fire ants in my yard, I will say I never had too much trouble with other bugs around the house. I also reached detente with the black widow spiders in my garage. I rarely saw them but knew where they were, in return they kept the garage relatively free from other bugs. The only problem was when my wife saw one it was pretty hard convincing her it wasn't what she thought it was. I mean she had internet pictures!

First sign of trouble, the queen splits. They probably just moved. You'd stand a chance by setting out baits without disturbing the mound. Something time released would be most effective because if the queen sees drones dying she'll move. Sneeky little *****es.

There are ways to kill them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hey threadjackers! this is about fire ants! And Tennessee. And good ol' boy neighbors. And 'Murica. Yeah.

We had them in our house. It was built on a slab and they nested somewhere under the shower. We tried lots of things to try to get rid of them. It got way out of hand. Finally I had enough of that. I had some Suspend SC that I used in the garage. I sprayed it everywhere I saw fire ants. When it was done there was nothing but dead ants everywhere. The bathroom floor was stained concrete and the floor looked like it was carpeted with dead ants. I don't think it got to the queen because a few days later there was a new mound outside the house.

This was when I was waging all out war, before I learned about the Texas two-step method and the nature of fire ants. Heck, I never told my wife this but I probably chased them under my slab by my war tactics. But after I settled for detente, I never had any issues with them in the house.

See above. Bed bugs aren't particular to Indiana, but I'd rather have neither.

With fire ants in my yard, I will say I never had too much trouble with other bugs around the house. I also reached detente with the black widow spiders in my garage. I rarely saw them but knew where they were, in return they kept the garage relatively free from other bugs. The only problem was when my wife saw one it was pretty hard convincing her it wasn't what she thought it was. I mean she had internet pictures!

First sign of trouble, the queen splits. They probably just moved. You'd stand a chance by setting out baits without disturbing the mound. Something time released would be most effective because if the queen sees drones dying she'll move. Sneeky little *****es.
    Well, if they moved it was somewhere else. I would find three or four mounds at a time. Hit them all with that stuff and soon all gone. Well until they moved back from the neighbors yards. San Antonio is home to lots of them.

And that is bait. They feed it to the queen and she dies along with them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Savages. I am surrounded by savages.

Wicks Pizza in Louisville is shut up good. Greater's ice cream is shut up good. My <cringe/> mother-in-law's chilli is shut up good. Waffle fries from Back Yard Burger is, arguably, shut up good, at least until the gastrointestinal distress kicks in. It's one of those things where you're certain it'll be worth it until the fries are gone and it happens.

But, "Shut up" good is where you must tell people to shut the hell up so you can concentrate all your sensing power on your sense of taste, to allow each taste bud to build that masterful flavor imagery, much like each pixel on a top-line Sony 4k does for your eyes.

Chick-fil-A, eh, okay, I guess, but not shut up good.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wicks Pizza in Louisville is shut up good. Greater's ice cream is shut up good. My <cringe/> mother-in-law's chilli is shut up good. Waffle fries from Back Yard Burger is, arguably, shut up good, at least until the gastrointestinal distress kicks in. It's one of those things where you're certain it'll be worth it until the fries are gone and it happens.

But, "Shut up" good is where you must tell people to shut the hell up so you can concentrate all your sensing power on your sense of taste, to allow each taste bud to build that masterful flavor imagery, much like each pixel on a top-line Sony 4k does for your eyes.

Chick-fil-A, eh, okay, I guess, but not shut up good.

You are dead to me. DEAD.

On a related note, the Piggy Mac Grilled Cheese sandwich at Scotty's Brewhouse may be the best commercially produced sandwich known to mankind. Add bacon to it and all doubts are eliminated.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

On a related note, the Piggy Mac Grilled Cheese sandwich at Scotty's Brewhouse may be the best commercially produced sandwich known to mankind. Add bacon to it and all doubts are eliminated.

I may have to take your word for it. Don't live in the area. I've never heard of Scotty's Brewhouse.

But speaking of grilled cheeze. Panera makes a pretty damn good egg-n-cheeze if you get it on asiago foccaccia bread. You can get it with bacon if you like. It qualifies as "shut up" good.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

I thought about ordering that yesterday when I was there with the in-laws, but went with a burger instead. The MIL got it and said it was good though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom