Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Fire ants! A scourge Hoosiers haven't had to learn how to deal with yet. Ugh!

I think the river attracts rednecks and hillbillies. :laugh:

I learned to coexist with them. The fire ants and I came to an understanding. I agreed not to mess with them as long as they agreed not to nest anywhere within 20 ft of the house. If they did, I Texas Two-stepped their asses.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I learned to coexist with them. The fire ants and I came to an understanding. I agreed not to mess with them as long as they agreed not to nest anywhere within 20 ft of the house. If they did, I Texas Two-stepped their asses.

I dunno...jabbing a stick in a 30"dia x 12-16" tall mound, just to **** them off has a certain fun factor to it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I dunno...jabbing a stick in a 30"dia x 12-16" tall mound, just to **** them off has a certain fun factor to it.

Not that this thread was really about anything...

When I first met fire ants, I waged war. I decided I'd drown their asses. Oh yeah. Tore up the north east corner of my lawn. It was fire-ant mound soup. Told my wife I was going to landscape there anyway. Dead little drown bastards all over. I was so proud. Looked over at the neighbor sitting over there on his porch; just chuckled at my jubilation. He had just told me to douse the mounds with a cup of gasoline, which I declined.

Within two days there was another mound about 30 feet from the war zone, what I called the "area of devastation". I looked over at Jiles (the neighbor). He nodded and smiled that smug "told ya" smile. This just ain't gonna happen. I fought with those damn things for months until I decided that this new fangled thing called Google was my only hope. So I fired up my modem, screeching away at an incredible 56K baud. And I googled for hours until I discoverd the Texas Two Step method.

I had found the Holy grail of research from Texas A&M that gave me the secret of fire-ant control. That secret is that you can't just kill them off. The best you can hope for is detante. In those informative pages I learned that all gasoline, or dousing them does is make them move. If you can't kill the queen, which is really damn hard to do, she'll just move and start over. And that ***** is too smart for gasoline or flooding.

I tried to tell Jiles about my newly gained vast knowledge of fire ants. As soon as I said Texas A&M, all he said was, "you know what a Texas twister and a Texas divorce have in common? Either way someone's losin' a trailer." And he sat back down on his front porch bench sipping his coke (which, oddly enough, was in a Pepsi can), acting as if he'd just said something very profound. I still don't know what the hell fire ant control has to do with tornados or divorce or trailers. I eventually concluded that he was just telling me he doesn't think much of Texas.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

When I first met fire ants, I waged war. I decided I'd drown their asses. Oh yeah. Tore up the north east corner of my lawn. It was fire-ant mound soup. Told my wife I was going to landscape there anyway. Dead little drown bastards all over. I was so proud. Looked over at the neighbor sitting over there on his porch; just chuckled at my jubilation. He had just told me to douse the mounds with a cup of gasoline, which I declined.

Within two days there was another mound about 30 feet from the war zone, what I called the "area of devastation". I looked over at Jiles (the neighbor). He nodded and smiled that smug "told ya" smile. This just ain't gonna happen. I fought with those damn things for months until I decided that this new fangled thing called Google was my only hope. So I fired up my modem, screeching away at an incredible 56K baud. And I googled for hours until I discoverd the Texas Two Step method.

I had found the Holy grail of research from Texas A&M that gave me the secret of fire-ant control. That secret is that you can't just kill them off. The best you can hope for is detante. In those informative pages I learned that all gasoline, or dousing them does is make them move. If you can't kill the queen, which is really damn hard to do, she'll just move and start over. And that ***** is too smart for gasoline or flooding.

I tried to tell Jiles about my newly gained vast knowledge of fire ants. As soon as I said Texas A&M, all he said was, "you know what a Texas twister and a Texas divorce have in common? Either way someone's losin' a trailer." And he sat back down on his front porch bench sipping his coke (which, oddly enough, was in a Pepsi can), acting as if he'd just said something very profound. I still don't know what the hell fire ant control has to do with tornados or divorce or trailers. I eventually concluded that he was just telling me he doesn't think much of Texas.

I'm surprised he didn't say something about if it weren't for Tennessee, there'd be no Texas. :D

When my mom had a place down there, there was a certain bait-type poison that was pretty effective. It must have been dangerous to blind cave fish or something because, all of a sudden one year I went out to buy more and couldn't get it. The new stuff must have been made of unicorn farts because it was useless.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm surprised he didn't say something about if it weren't for Tennessee, there'd be no Texas. :D

When my mom had a place down there, there was a certain bait-type poison that was pretty effective. It must have been dangerous to blind cave fish or something because, all of a sudden one year I went out to buy more and couldn't get it. The new stuff must have been made of unicorn farts because it was useless.

A friend if mine was in private practice. He was a bug/varmint killing machine.
    The chems he used got weaker and weaker over the years so that even when applied directly to the invading vermin they could still crawl of and hide.
    He has since retired and laments the loss of the magic.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A friend if mine was in private practice. He was a bug/varmint killing machine.
    The chems he used got weaker and weaker over the years so that even when applied directly to the invading vermin they could still crawl of and hide.
    He has since retired and laments the loss of the magic.

Fire ants are a real problem down there. It's one thing when you get a sting or two on your sandle-clad foot and quite another when they come into your house. I hope they never adapt to cold winters (or whatever it is that's keeping them south of here).

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I lived in Texas 9 years and fought a war with those damned things as well as harvester ants. This stuff Ortho Orthene 12 oz. Fire Ant Killer-0282210 - The Home Depot always did the trick. Sprinkle some on the mound, get a stick and get them all riled up and in a couple of days all dead. Of course my neighbors weren't as proficient at exterminating as I was, so it was a constant fight as they moved back into the yard.

I actually hated the harvester ants more. They could strip rose bushes of their leaves in days and went after trees as well. Easy to find though. All you had to do was follow the line of walking leaf bits to their mound.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013

She's still reading these forums. She says "hi." But there is a picture somewhere on INGO where she and I appear.

Cathy:
    10671373_10152834920998561_6392588144083711985_n.jpg

Me:
    10660216_10152782685643561_2926642567132869927_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    And regarding chicken pot pies, I'm Pennsylvania Dutch. Our pot pies are a stew-like dish that mostly consist of homemade noodles, potatoes, meat (ham, chicken, turkey, et cetera) and a little parsley. Why would I ruin it by putting peas in it?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hey threadjackers! this is about fire ants! And Tennessee. And good ol' boy neighbors. And 'Murica. Yeah.

Fire ants are a real problem down there. It's one thing when you get a sting or two on your sandle-clad foot and quite another when they come into your house. I hope they never adapt to cold winters (or whatever it is that's keeping them south of here).

We had them in our house. It was built on a slab and they nested somewhere under the shower. We tried lots of things to try to get rid of them. It got way out of hand. Finally I had enough of that. I had some Suspend SC that I used in the garage. I sprayed it everywhere I saw fire ants. When it was done there was nothing but dead ants everywhere. The bathroom floor was stained concrete and the floor looked like it was carpeted with dead ants. I don't think it got to the queen because a few days later there was a new mound outside the house.

This was when I was waging all out war, before I learned about the Texas two-step method and the nature of fire ants. Heck, I never told my wife this but I probably chased them under my slab by my war tactics. But after I settled for detente, I never had any issues with them in the house.

Meh, Indiana gets bed bugs instead.

See above. Bed bugs aren't particular to Indiana, but I'd rather have neither.

With fire ants in my yard, I will say I never had too much trouble with other bugs around the house. I also reached detente with the black widow spiders in my garage. I rarely saw them but knew where they were, in return they kept the garage relatively free from other bugs. The only problem was when my wife saw one it was pretty hard convincing her it wasn't what she thought it was. I mean she had internet pictures!

I lived in Texas 9 years and fought a war with those damned things as well as harvester ants. This stuff Ortho Orthene 12 oz. Fire Ant Killer-0282210 - The Home Depot always did the trick. Sprinkle some on the mound, get a stick and get them all riled up and in a couple of days all dead. Of course my neighbors weren't as proficient at exterminating as I was, so it was a constant fight as they moved back into the yard.

I actually hated the harvester ants more. They could strip rose bushes of their leaves in days and went after trees as well. Easy to find though. All you had to do was follow the line of walking leaf bits to their mound.

First sign of trouble, the queen splits. They probably just moved. You'd stand a chance by setting out baits without disturbing the mound. Something time released would be most effective because if the queen sees drones dying she'll move. Sneeky little *****es.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom