Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Here's a deal I'd gladly take: If the death penalty is now, after all of these years cruel and unusual punishment and therefore unconstitutional, then surely jabbing some scissors into the skull (or the other gruesome methods) of an innocent, unborn child surely must be as well.

:+1:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    How the 1942 case of a one footed chicken thief laid the foundation for marriage equality.

This is a really interesting read on the basis of the courts reasoning and ruling on marriage equality. Ignore the source, just read the article by a Constitutional law professor.

Gay marriage Supreme Court ruling: How Skinner v. Oklahoma laid the foundation for Obergefell v. Hodges.
    It pretty much boils down to. "everyone should have a right to marry or no one should have a right to marry" Although I don't know how this reasoning from the ruling in the case of the chicken thief could be applicable to same sex marriage.

Justice William O. Douglas held that the Oklahoma law denied Equal Protection, not because it discriminated against certain crimes but because it deprived some citizens but not others of the fundamental right of procreation. “We are dealing here with legislation which involves one of the basic civil rights of man,” wrote Douglas. “Marriage and procreation are fundamental to the very existence and survival of the race.”

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Here's a deal I'd gladly take: If the death penalty is now, after all of these years cruel and unusual punishment and therefore unconstitutional, then surely jabbing some scissors into the skull (or the other gruesome methods) of an innocent, unborn child surely must be as well.

Ill take that deal in a heartbeat.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The Bible also says that I should suffer for all eternity, for not being certain whether or not there is a god. Given that my uncertainty isn't harming anybody, yet merits infinite punishment, I have difficulty regarding it as a source of moral authority.

Whether or not you are hurting someone is a great test for determining if government should outlaw something. As a principle to live in obedience to God, it is only one of many. Disobedience of any of them is damning. Of course, God knows that the standard is impossible, that's why He sent Christ to take the guilt and give you the choice of justification by grace through faith.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Whether or not you are hurting someone is a great test for determining if government should outlaw something. As a principle to live in obedience to God, it is only one of many. Disobedience of any of them is damning. Of course, God knows that the standard is impossible, that's why He sent Christ to take the guilt and give you the choice of justification by grace through faith.

It's still God's decision to send me to Hell. Hence, if he is willing to condemn me to an eternity of infinite suffering for something that didn't harm anyone, then how can he be just?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's still God's decision to send me to Hell. Hence, if he is willing to condemn me to an eternity of infinite suffering for something that didn't harm anyone, then how can he be just?

You've got it all wrong. He doesn't want to...it's your choice. You're making the decision, using the free will He gave you.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The choice to work or go broke was as well. So was the choice of eating or starving. You also choose to hurt people multiple times throughout your life, so really, this is a straw man. God is just giving you the choice to escape punishment for the things you have done. I'm glad to have the choice, frankly. I wouldn't have given me mercy.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The choice to work or go broke was as well. So was the choice of eating or starving. You also choose to hurt people multiple times throughout your life, so really, this is a straw man. God is just giving you the choice to escape punishment for the things you have done. I'm glad to have the choice, frankly. I wouldn't have given me mercy.

What, specifically, have I done that merits infinite punishment?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, are you infinitely good?
    Not a terrific dichotomy. If you're not infinity good you deserve infinite punishment. So you're created for the purpose of needing someone to stand in your place. There doesn't seem to be a point to that.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I didn't claim to be. I asked what specific act (or combination thereof) means I deserve to be tortured for all of infinity.

The fact that a person is not infinitely good precludes them from entering an infinitely good place in the presence of an infinitely holy God. So, rather than leave it at that, which rules out all of humanity, God offers mercy. We either choose that mercy or not. Don't ask me to judge your actions, I have no grounds to judge. I'm as bad or worse than you.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Not a terrific dichotomy. If you're not infinity good you deserve infinite punishment. So you're created for the purpose of needing someone to stand in your place. There doesn't seem to be a point to that.

We weren't created to need someone else to stand in our place. But when we decided to sin, the necessity arose.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I didn't ask for the choice in the first place; it was forced on me. How is that free will?

That's up to you to decide, in your heart. Nobody's going to make that decision for you. Nobody can. It's up to you to seek it out and open your heart to the holy spirit. If you are honest and ready to accept it, it will fill your heart and you'll know a truly great feeling.

But you don't have to. You can choose to not believe and think you're being forced into some arbitrary decision...but you're not. It's all on you.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    The fact that a person is not infinitely good precludes them from entering an infinitely good place in the presence of an infinitely holy God. So, rather than leave it at that, which rules out all of humanity, God offers mercy. We either choose that mercy or not. Don't ask me to judge your actions, I have no grounds to judge. I'm as bad or worse than you.

But that mercy is predicated upon belief. The only entity capable of providing proof is the same entity doing the condemning.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    That's up to you to decide, in your heart. Nobody's going to make that decision for you. Nobody can. It's up to you to seek it out and open your heart to the holy spirit. If you are honest and ready to accept it, it will fill your heart and you'll know a truly great feeling.

But you don't have to. You can choose to not believe and think you're being forced into some arbitrary decision...but you're not. It's all on you.

Think about it logically for a moment. Is it okay to torture someone for not having an open enough heart?

Top Bottom