Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    You don't actually have to reject God, though. Merely being skeptical earns the same punishment as a murderer or a rapist.

Wrong. Questioning or being skeptical are not damnable sins. Letting your questioning or skepticism separate you from him is where the problem lies. Even murderers and rapist can repent and receive salvation if they are true in their hearts. It's not actions it's faith, and true faith makes you strive to stop the bad actions and live as a proper example. It's really quite simple.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Exactly. When us Christians don't respect marriage any more than we have (by achieving a 50+% divorce rate), we really haven't lead with our actions...how can we expect the non-religious to respect it?

You do know the old worn out and false 50% divorce rate is actually a bit lower than that doncha? It's somewhere around 30%.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Wrong. Questioning or being skeptical are not damnable sins. Letting your questioning or skepticism separate you from him is where the problem lies. Even murderers and rapist can repent and receive salvation if they are true in their hearts. It's not actions it's faith, and true faith makes you strive to stop the bad actions and live as a proper example. It's really quite simple.
    Actually, I left the part about murderers being forgiven on purpose, but since you bring it up; I can understand giving a truly repentant individual a second chance, but apparently I'm not worth a first chance. As I said before, if there's a God, I'm clearly a write-off in his or her book.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Actually, I left the part about murderers being forgiven on purpose, but since you bring it up; I can understand giving a truly repentant individual a second chance, but apparently I'm not worth a first chance. As I said before, if there's a God, I'm clearly a write-off in his or her book.

Why are you a write off? Let yourself see and you will.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's been a few months since I heard the source, but I think it was a government agency of some sort. Maybe the Census Bureau?

If I had to hazard a guess...with so few younger folks opting for getting married in the first place, it might make sense that the ones that do tend to be more compatible. (just a hypothesis).

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana

No you most certainly are not, He died for you, He loves you, & if you'll have Him, He will most certainly have you.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

You are approaching this from a reversed paradigm. While in our reckoning some people are 'good' and other are not, and it is commonly thought that Hell is a punishment for being evil, this is not really the case. No one is adequate to be deemed good enough by God's standard, therefore all start life condemned to Hell. Those who come to faith are saved from this fate by the grace of God on account of having the faith to believe in and accept His salvation from the eternal death to which they, no matter how good or bad, were facing in the first place.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I see a lot of biblical citations now on INGO, which is refreshing.

Why isn't the other side coming back with anything more than 'feelings'? Nothing from Karl M., or the Great Helmsman, Derrida, Adorno, Marcuse?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The issue is that you perceive reasonable skepticism as a possibility in God's paradigm, which there is not....

Of course there is. The bible isn't a book by God...it is a book about God, written by men.

The bible is full of contradictions, inaccuracies, mistakes, and impossibilities. When taken at face value, the contents of that book are ridiculous.

The story itself is so fractured and incongruent that it has spawned hundreds of different sects in two completely different religions. The Jewish/Christian problem is a very real one for (especially Christian) believers, and one worth expanding on: if the Jews are right, and Jesus is not the Messiah...most of INGO are Idolaters against the God of Abraham.

Nevertheless, God is both able and willing to save any who will confess their sins, repent, and turn to Christ for their salvation.

The Hulk only gets stronger and more impervious to damage as he gets angrier...that's the great thing about fiction, you can give the characters any attribute you want.

deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    You are approaching this from a reversed paradigm. While in our reckoning some people are 'good' and other are not, and it is commonly thought that Hell is a punishment for being evil, this is not really the case. No one is adequate to be deemed good enough by God's standard, therefore all start life condemned to Hell. Those who come to faith are saved from this fate by the grace of God on account of having the faith to believe in and accept His salvation from the eternal death to which they, no matter how good or bad, were facing in the first place.

I don't want any part of a God who demands worship and obedience for salvation but fails to provide good evidence of his existence. A God who punishes finite thought crimes with infinite suffering. I'm glad he doesn't exist. Whoever first came up with the concept of Hell was brilliant though. Not only will we punish you in this life for acting up, you'll be punished forever. That's a great way to keep people in line.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The bible is full of contradictions, inaccuracies, mistakes, and impossibilities. When taken at face value, the contents of that book are ridiculous.

I've heard this before from lots of skeptics / non believers. So, give us INGO Believers your top 2 "contradictions" & let's see if we can prove said contradictions false or true.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Then why create a species so flawed that it has to be condemned from conception?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Then why create a species so flawed that it has to be condemned from conception?

If you read the book, the species was not created flawed in this way. There was one and only one rule, and it was broken. The result was introducing sin to humanity. Previous to this, man did not know how to engage in wrong-doing.

caverjamie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Dubois Co.
    I don't want any part of a God who demands worship and obedience for salvation but fails to provide good evidence of his existence.

I guess this has drifted off topic quite a bit. However, I have wondered about something to myself before that is related to this comment. One possible reason he hasn't provided proof of his existence is that God does not exist. Personally I don't believe that - from my perspective, I see abundant evidence that points to an intelligent creator. But I can't prove that to you or anyone else. Additionally, what kind of evidence would be sufficient? Wouldn't that depend on the particular person?

Anyways, a second possible reason for the lack of "proof" is that - if this all knowing, all powerful creator really has all those attributes, he would have an understanding far beyond our ability to comprehend. I've wondered - what if everything has been set up the way it has - because it needs to be that way for a particular reason that we are unable to understand from our perspective. I mean - if God just appeared to everyone personally and said - read my book and let me know if you want to follow me or if you'd rather follow that jerk down there. Who would refuse him? Well, some probably... But what if there is some reason you need to make the choice yourself based on faith alone - who knows! I'm just thinking out loud...

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've wondered - what if everything has been set up the way it has - because it needs to be that way for a particular reason that we are unable to understand from our perspective.
    So otherwise-virtuous nonbelievers are just collateral damage. I'm not sure that's any better.

Top Bottom