BREAKING NEWS - CAR SMASHES INTO BARRIER AT U.S. CAPITOL COMPLEX; SHOTS REPORTEDLY FIRED

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Now the family of the scumbag is claiming "depression and possible mental illness" were likely the cause for his actions. So there's their "hook" for additional gun restrictions. Probably be using this for additional background checks and waiting period legislation.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Now the family of the scumbag is claiming "depression and possible mental illness" were likely the cause for his actions. So there's their "hook" for additional gun restrictions. Probably be using this for additional background checks and waiting period legislation.
    In general, do you believe people that do such things are sane?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Didn't the assailant use a knife?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    In general, do you believe people that do such things are sane?
    Should that be an excuse. Those that aren't killed should be tried for their actual crimes, be found guilty but insane, and receive the same punishment as those not insane while any rehabilitation of their mental state takes place in prison

I seem to recall we (rightfully) think that the wealthy and privileged (can you say Hunter Biden) should not be given a pass because of their mental angst. Neither should anyone else

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Didn't the assailant use a knife?
    Yes, but they have already prefaced it with " it would have been so much worse if he would have used a gun".

Never let an opportunity go to waste.
    Yes to Oak, and yes to Jay. Also, a piece I saw that featured security photos of him purchasing the knife quoted the shopkeeper that sold him the knife as saying (paraphrasing), "There was nothing that would have been raised any red flags about the purchase." Same type of thing that's been said in recent shootings where the shooter obtained his gun legally. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Should that be an excuse. Those that aren't killed should be tried for their actual crimes, be found guilty but insane, and receive the same punishment as those not insane while any rehabilitation of their mental state takes place in prison

I seem to recall we (rightfully) think that the wealthy and privileged (can you say Hunter Biden) should not be given a pass because of their mental angst. Neither should anyone else
    Did he ever insinuate that it should be an excuse or not tried for their crimes. If so I didn't see it. From various reports IMO yes the man was probably "insane", I have no problem with what happened and if he would have survived would have no problem with him being punished for it. About the only difference between your and mine point of view is possibly the rehabilitation should take place in prison. Although most mental institution for those who have been found guilty but insane from my understand are pretty much prison. In fact there has been an officer on here who stated that after being in both, most people would prefer prison. One change I would like to see would be if they are "cured" then they get sent to prison to finish their sentence, if they are cured before it would have concluded. From my understanding that if you commit a crime and are found guilty but insane and the sentence could have been 50 yrs and they are "cured" in 10 they are simply let out. Nah, let them finish the next 40.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Under that rationale, you would WANT the mental rehab facility to be worse than prison, else no one would ever want to be cured. It starts to trend Dickensian pretty quickly

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Under that rationale, you would WANT the mental rehab facility to be worse than prison, else no one would ever want to be cured. It starts to trend Dickensian pretty quickly
    As I said an officer on this board who has been in both has stated that the criminal rehab facilities are worse. And yep it can trend Dickensian I would assume. I can't recall exactly but I think a good bit of it wasn't necessarily mistreatment of those confined, but more along the lines of "freedoms" they had. Much less freedom to move about, much closer watched. In my misspent youth I unfortunately spent a short bit of time in a county lockup, other than during lights out we were free to move about. Go to the day room, play cards/chess/etc, even visit other cells, (very) occasional walk by of the guards. I've visited people in mental hospitals, and actually in retrospect it was about the same with perhaps a bit more supervision at least in common areas. I'm going to guess that those confined to a criminal mental rehab don't have those same privileges.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm waiting for the media to be outraged by the attack on the Iowa State Capital.

Bunch of people shot down in Texas too, but only 1 fatality. Not "mass murdery" enough, though the article did manage to draw a line to Biden anyhow.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm waiting for the media to be outraged by the attack on the Iowa State Capital.

One thing about that article, they compare it to Jan 6 at the US capitol. Did those at the US capitol have a permit to protest outside and inside?
    "Rally organizers showed reporters a copy of the state permit they obtained to hold a rally outside the Capitol and in the building'ssRotunda."
    https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-bills-black-lives-matter-protest/7128326002/

Top Bottom