• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    And you guys need to get your wives involved. I think people might take on a new perspective if they see women carrying too.

What do you think the reaction would be if a nice clean cut soccer-mom type of woman were seen carrying an AR15 at an Obama event? :popcorn:

Good point. And how about kids with her? Just a thought.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I woke up to this article and couldn't be happier. A clean cut, shirt-and-tie-and-glasses wearing dude chewing gum with a rifle slung over his shoulder... couldn't get anymore low-key yet POWERFUL than that.

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick :moon:.... and I'm alllll out of bubblegum." :lmfao:

Blessings,
    Bill

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Dangit..melens beat me posting that video by 3 minutes. That should give us a lot to chew on.

Honestly he seems like a good guy. I disagree with his hard-line Libertarianism, but I'm all for his carrying to events like this. Since he's black people can't just blow up on him like they could on a white guy....

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    You must have missed the part where I said "I agree with everything except the well dressed part...."
    To include the additional Redneck references for your argument are items that I already agreed with you on.
    Plus I think you are confusing the difference between well dressed and not so well dressed...or maybe I am confusing it. :)
    I agree that a torn t-shirt and worn-out jeans would not be appropriate...unless you are shopping at Walmart, who wears that kind of clothing in public anyway. :):
    What I didn't see a problem with is if someone were to wear even a printed t-shirt and jeans that were not worn out shouldn't be a problem at such an event.

Kind of joking, but not really...we could create a list of items that would not be acceptable and should not be worn...kinda like that cable program "What Not to Wear" :D

If someone wants to show up at an event that's likely to draw media attention, carrying openly, dressed in worn-out jeans and a torn T-shirt, going off on an angry rant at every question or comment from the reporters, with underarm odor and halitosis, well, that's their right and I would be the last to say otherwise.

But I'm not sure there are enough well-dressed, soft-spoken, articulate, courteous, and so on individuals out there to counter the damage that person would do in the public mind to RKBA.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Dangit..melens beat me posting that video by 3 minutes. That should give us a lot to chew on.

Honestly he seems like a good guy. I disagree with his hard-line Libertarianism, but I'm all for his carrying to events like this. Since he's black people can't just blow up on him like they could on a white guy....

I don't agree with everything he said either, but that's the beauty of it. Coming together under the same banner for a common cause.

And why can't they bash him like they would you or me? Why does race matter?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    You must have missed the part where I said "I agree with everything except the well dressed part...."
    To include the additional Redneck references for your argument are items that I already agreed with you on.
    Plus I think you are confusing the difference between well dressed and not so well dressed...or maybe I am confusing it. :)
    I agree that a torn t-shirt and worn-out jeans would not be appropriate...unless you are shopping at Walmart, who wears that kind of clothing in public anyway. :):
    What I didn't see a problem with is if someone were to wear even a printed t-shirt and jeans that were not worn out shouldn't be a problem at such an event.

Kind of joking, but not really...we could create a list of items that would not be acceptable and should not be worn...kinda like that cable program "What Not to Wear" :D

If you'd look a little farther down, you'd see that my definition for "well-dressed" pretty much just means "neat." It doesn't have to be a suit and tie.

And, just out of curiosity, why is "well dressed" such a bugaboo with you when an individual certainly has more control over how they dress then about, say, whether or not they "suffer fools gladly" (something one has to be very well able to do if one is going to be interviewed by the media). Attire is a lot easier to change than personality.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't agree with everything he said either, but that's the beauty of it. Coming together under the same banner for a common cause.

And why can't they bash him like they would you or me? Why does race matter?
    Because when white people carry guns we are accused of being hillbillies, bubbas and uneducated jerks. The media jumped all over the guy from NH with a handgun, but not so with this black "gentleman" sporting the AR15. Blame the media if you don't like the double standard.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home

Baby Steps. We know how the media spins stuff and at least at first we should give them as little to "spin" as possible. They love stereotypes and I have no doubt would have no problem using them. If something like this is done or continues to be done it can and should evolve in my opinion. Heck eventually if we do it right I'll be able to walk around in my speedo and cowboy hat with an AR and have no one think twice! But until that point we should tread lightly, there is something good here, very good and we should be careful not to get in such a hurry to make a change or difference that we push too much too soon. Kinda like trying to explain and make your mother comfortable with guns (just an example from my own experience) you have to start with baby steps and with things that will be less threatening and more comfortable with her. A reporter is going to be more comfortable interviewing a guy (or gal) dressed like him who isn't wearing a glock t-shirt. Stereotypes suck and I hate how the media especially plays with information, but we are lucky enough to know they do. So we can do as much as possible to reduce any ability they have to spin what we are doing. Whatever we do we need to do together and somewhat united, it's true, there are strength in numbers!

Top Bottom