• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The suggestion was not made from the perspective of rights but from that of tactics.

A person who is:

Is going to go farther toward promoting RKBA in a positive fashion than someone who is

However strongly one believes about RKBA, one has to focus on tactics and strategies that can actually succeed.

The long term goal is a complete return to the actual meaning of the 2nd Amendment. However, it won't happen all at once any more than we got where we are now all at once. Think tactically and in terms of both not giving ground (or minimizing lost ground), and in making small, achievable steps.

Well in that case, we want to make sure everyone carrying also has a fresh "high and tight"...as we can't have anyone with hair touching their ears. And everyone needs to make sure they shave their face, we can't have no ZZ-top beards, you will look like you're Muslim and that will make us all look bad as well. :rolleyes: If we all look clean cut while carrying, then that will always be expected of those exercising their right and anything else just won't be acceptable.

I agree with everything except the well dressed part....gun carrying individuals are everyday people and I don't see what the problem is with showing such..

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, I'm going to keep looking through Indy's code and see if Indy would be the place for this. I'd pick another city, but Indy is in the middle and makes it an even-steven drive for those from Ft. Wayne and those from Evansville.

Could someone check Greenwood and Carmel's firearms policies too? I'm looking through Indy's right now.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Unless I read something wrong, looks like there are no ordinances about openly carrying a rifle or shotgun around downtown. I'll keep looking.

Chapter 451 WEAPONS*

Sec. 451-1. Sharp objects or instruments on the person.

Sec. 451-2. Firearms generally.

Sec. 451-3. Discharge of weapons across public ways.

Sec. 451-4. Display of dangerous weapons.

Sec. 451-5. Unlawful disposition of dangerous weapons.

Sec. 451-6. Possession and discharge of weapons on property of the department of waterworks.

<A id=TOC.1 name=TOC.1>
    Sec. 451-1. Sharp objects or instruments on the person.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry around or have in his manual possession or control any ice pick or similar kind of sharp instrument, other than ordinary pocketknives, and such instruments described in subsection (b) of this section, unless the object is a necessary instrument of his lawful trade or occupation or for lawful use in his home, and is actually being carried and intended to be used for use in the performance of such trade or occupation, or for use in his home.

(b) It shall be unlawful for any person to wear or carry in any public street or place, elevator, public vehicle or place of assemblage any hatpin, ornament or sharp or pointed object, which has an exposed point or edge of more than one-half ( 1/2) inch, unless the point or edge is protected with a guard so as to cover it and prevent injury to any person coming in contact therewith.

(Code 1975, § 20-186)

<A id=TOC.2 name=TOC.2>
    Sec. 451-2. Firearms generally.
    (a) Within the police special service district, it shall be unlawful for any person to fire off, shoot at another person or otherwise use any dangerous weapon for any purpose other than in defense of his life or the life of another person, or the protection of his property or property entrusted to him by another person, or for practice at a range under the supervision and operation of a governmental entity, or without the prior written approval of the department of public safety.

(b) This section shall not apply to the United States Army, Navy or other armed forces, the National Guard, or to any duly constituted and authorized law enforcement and peace officer of any governmental unit, or to manufacturers and to repair facilities for testing purposes within a private range.

(Code 1975, § 20-187)

<A id=TOC.3 name=TOC.3>
    Sec. 451-3. Discharge of weapons across public ways.
    It shall be unlawful to shoot across or upon any public street or place, or toward a public way from any private premises, any bullet, pellet, missile or object impelled from any gun, pistol or weapon operated by means of any explosive charge, or by springs, air pressure or other means, or impelled from a slingshot, or any other device having force directed by the user thereof.

(Code 1975, § 20-188)

<A id=TOC.4 name=TOC.4>
    Sec. 451-4. Display of dangerous weapons.
    No pistol, revolver or other dangerous weapon of a similar character, which may be concealed and carried upon the person, shall be displayed for sale where it can be seen in or through any window of any structure fronting on any street or alley in the city.

(Code 1975, § 20-189)

<A id=TOC.5 name=TOC.5>
    Sec. 451-5. Unlawful disposition of dangerous weapons.
    No person shall sell, give, barter, exchange, lend or otherwise dispose of, or place in the possession of any known or suspected habitual user of narcotics or any known or suspected criminal or a person with criminal purpose, any type of machine gun, sawed-off shotgun, pistol or revolver, or ammunition therefor, or any knucks, billy, sandbag, dagger, dirk, bowie knife or stiletto, or any spring gun, sword cane or any other dangerous weapon of any similar character, which may be carried or concealed on or about the person and which are commonly used and fit to be used unlawfully to inflict harm on or to any person; or any tools, devices or jimmies commonly used for burglary. However, ordinary pocketknives with blades not exceeding five (5) inches in length and so known and sold in legitimate trade shall not be included in the terms of this section, and the provisions of this section shall not apply to any military forces, peace officers or other persons so excepted by law for the possession, use or disposal of any such things.

(Code 1975, § 20-190)

<A id=TOC.6 name=TOC.6>
    Sec. 451-6. Possession and discharge of weapons on property of the department of waterworks.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the board of directors of the department of waterworks, to discharge any firearms or have possession of any firearms or other explosive devices, or to endanger others by the use of any weapon, article or device, along or upon any reservoir owned, controlled or leased by the department of waterworks located in Marion County.

(b) The possession of a handgun by a person licensed to carry a handgun under IC 35-47-2 or by a person exempted from those licensing requirements by IC 35-47-2 shall not be unlawful under this section.

(c) The discharge of a firearm in protection of life or property as permitted by IC 35-41-3-2 shall not be unlawful under this section.

(d) Traditional fireworks celebrations and similar activities approved by the board of directors are not prohibited by this section.

(G.O. 106, 2005, § 1; G.O. 14, 2009, § 1)

Editor's note: G.O. 106, 2005, § 1, adopted Oct. 31, 2005, provided for the inclusion of a new section 451-3. Inasmuch as § 451-3 was not specifically repealed, the provisions of G.O. 106, 2005 have been redesignated as § 451-6 at the discretion of the editor.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sec. 631-108. Discharging firearms.
    It shall be unlawful for any person, unless authorized by resolution of the board of parks and recreation, to discharge any firearms or have possession of any firearms or other explosive devices, or to endanger others by the use of any weapon, article or device, within any park, playground or on any property controlled or leased by the department of parks and recreation, or on which a concession has been granted by it.

(Code 1975, § 22-8)

Cross references: Weapons, ch. 451.

Stay away from the parks with guns....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I'd start with Modoc and work our way up in population.
    smile.gif

Around the turn of the century, the land from Modoc to Winchester (20 miles? Less? More?) was completely owned by black people, with the black school in some little town there along highway 27 that I can't remember the name of. Now I am not sure that a single black lives anywhere in that stretch.

Just a little history fact that I picked up while going to Winchester High School.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    When I first came to INGO I was strictly a CC guy that did not like Glocks. Well I still don't like Glocks (personal thing nothing wrong with them) but I have started to OC more and more.

I usually decide which is easier. If it is going to be a hassle to CC then I will just OC.

Anyways, I would be down for some OC action. I don't have an AR yet, but I do have an Ak and my XDM.

Let's make it happen. Should we start out with just a dinner somewhere? or pick a rally?

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok. My friend's dad was the surveyor for the county. He went through many records and found some references to rivers being swallowed up by underground caves in and around the area you talk about. These were Indian legends. You just caused me to recall that. I have no references to this, just what he told me.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Well in that case, we want to make sure everyone carrying also has a fresh "high and tight"...as we can't have anyone with hair touching their ears. And everyone needs to make sure they shave their face, we can't have no ZZ-top beards, you will look like you're Muslim and that will make us all look bad as well. :rolleyes: If we all look clean cut while carrying, then that will always be expected of those exercising their right and anything else just won't be acceptable.

I agree with everything except the well dressed part....gun carrying individuals are everyday people and I don't see what the problem is with showing such..

"If we all look clean cut while carrying, then that will always be expected of those exercising their right and anything else just won't be acceptable." Sorry but that's called a "non-sequitor," literally "it does not follow." Nobody is suggesting that only people who are "well-dressed," "clean cut," "articulate," etc. should be allowed to OC. However, what is being suggested is that when one is going to be the "public face" of RKBA, that we benefit more from someone who is all those things than from someone who isn't.

I don't know if you're religious, but most of the folk I know and knew who are would certainly never say that God is only for the GQ crowd. However those same people would also "dress up" for church.

If someone wants to show up at an event that's likely to draw media attention, carrying openly, dressed in worn-out jeans and a torn T-shirt, going off on an angry rant at every question or comment from the reporters, with underarm odor and halitosis, well, that's their right and I would be the last to say otherwise.

But I'm not sure there are enough well-dressed, soft-spoken, articulate, courteous, and so on individuals out there to counter the damage that person would do in the public mind to RKBA.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

Fine. Butt head. :D

When I first came to INGO I was strictly a CC guy that did not like Glocks. Well I still don't like Glocks (personal thing nothing wrong with them) but I have started to OC more and more.

I usually decide which is easier. If it is going to be a hassle to CC then I will just OC.

Anyways, I would be down for some OC action. I don't have an AR yet, but I do have an Ak and my XDM.

Let's make it happen. Should we start out with just a dinner somewhere? or pick a rally?

Working on a new thread for this now. Kinda hard while doing laundry too. :p

Ok. My friend's dad was the surveyor for the county. He went through many records and found some references to rivers being swallowed up by underground caves in and around the area you talk about. These were Indian legends. You just caused me to recall that. I have no references to this, just what he told me.

WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?!!?! Sorry for yelling. You's a strange little man... :D

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I agree about looking 'nice'.

Problem is, dressing up IS SEEN by some libs as what bible-toting folk do.
    Dressing like libs, on the otherhand, might be a different take on it.

Tie-dyed shirts, sandals, tank tops with underarm hair... and the MEN can dress like that, too! :)

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    When trying to sell something to the public, putting your best foot forward is key.
    While I will defend anyone who exercises their right, I think that when we start this process, perception is important. After they get acclimated to seeing well dressed citizens carrying, it will be easier for the sheep to see casual dressed citizens exercising their right to carry and so on and so on until it becomes "Normal" to see any citizen carrying.
    I think if we show up at events carrying we will have more impact than if we try to have a march of our own. I'm guessing coverage would be nil for us at an organized march.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I agree about looking 'nice'.

Problem is, dressing up IS SEEN by some libs as what bible-toting folk do.
    Dressing like libs, on the otherhand, might be a different take on it.

Tie-dyed shirts, sandals, tank tops with underarm hair... and the MEN can dress like that, too! :)

It doesn't have to be a suit and tie to be "nice." Clean and neat is as much as I'd ask for (and it's a request, no more).

And if things slip a little, that's no big deal. I'm the last person that would expect perfection out of anyone.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    When trying to sell something to the public, putting your best foot forward is key.
    While I will defend anyone who exercises their right, I think that when we start this process, perception is important. After they get acclimated to seeing well dressed citizens carrying, it will be easier for the sheep to see casual dressed citizens exercising their right to carry and so on and so on until it becomes "Normal" to see any citizen carrying.
    I think if we show up at events carrying we will have more impact than if we try to have a march of our own. I'm guessing coverage would be nil for us at an organized march.

And you guys need to get your wives involved. I think people might take on a new perspective if they see women carrying too.

What do you think the reaction would be if a nice clean cut soccer-mom type of woman were seen carrying an AR15 at an Obama event? :popcorn:

Top Bottom