Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:24 AM
    Subject: Fw: ADVISORY Blackhawk SERPA Holster

FYI - FLETC and many OIGs have discontinued the use of the Blackhawk SERPA

Subject: FW: Officer Safety Bulletin: Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System Holster

A CITP student accidentally discharged his weapon into his thigh at FLETC/Glynco last week. He had purchased a Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster and was using it for the first time. In October of this year, an agent shot himself in the buttocks during a staff qualification at FLETC Cheltenham using a Blackhawk SERPA. USAF OSI has prohibited their personnel from purchasing or carrying this holster.

The below notice was disseminated last week to all 1811s in HHS OIG, and they have given me permission to share it with the IG community's 1811 population.

SPECIAL BULLETIN
    National Training and Emergency Operations Branch
    Officer Safety Bulletin

Good Afternoon,

In our efforts to continually stay abreast of issues relating to officer safety, the National Training and Emergency Operations Branch (NTEOB) routinely evaluates the law enforcement equipment issued to or carried by OI personnel.

Recently, one such piece of equipment, the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster, has come under scrutiny due to safety concerns involving the design of its retention safety device. There have been several recent documented cases, involving law enforcement and civilian personnel, where unintentional discharges have occurred while weapons were being drawn from this holster. Many of these unintentional discharges have resulted in gunshot injuries to the officers/agents involved.

The SERPA is one of the only holster system designed to use the trigger finger to release the retention safety device. This method of releasing the safety device is contrary to our training methods and techniques, which emphasize attacking the holster from the "top down." In addition, this retention system is completely different from the standard thumb-break holsters currently issued by OI. While it is true that one of the Cardinal Rules of firearms safety was violated by the individual placing his or her finger on the trigger before they were ready to shoot, we believe that the design of the SERPA holster facilitates this action by engaging the trigger finger well before the individual is prepared to shoot.

In light of these events and in accordance with OI policy, specifically Part 2, Section 2, Subsection IV B, NTEOB is suspending all use of the Blackhawk SERPA Auto Lock System holster by OI agents acting in an official, on-duty capacity. NTEOB will thoroughly research and evaluate the safety and effectiveness of this holster system and report on its findings.

In the meantime, those agents who may be affected by this safety bulletin should be directed to utilize their standard agency-issued holster to secure their weapon on their person. As a reminder, new standard issue holsters were previously issued to all OI 1811s. This is the recommended holster system. Should agents wish to purchase a holster, they should be informed that all holsters have to be approved by National Firearms Coordinator/NTEOB, as per policy.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and cooperation.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    They put their finger on trigger, then blame holster?

I think the big point that most instructors are trying to make is that it puts the finger near the trigger and uses the trigger finger to disengage the mechanism. The only job your trigger finger should have during the deployment of your weapon is to pull the trigger.

I agree with everyone that says it's all about training, but I feel like it's kind of setting people up for failure.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    In October of this year, an agent shot himself in the buttocks during a staff qualification at FLETC Cheltenham using a Blackhawk SERPA. USAF OSI has prohibited their personnel from purchasing or carrying this holster.

How does one shoot himself in the butt?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    ...and was using it for the first time ...

He went live fire with a new piece of kit? It must be the holster.

My opinion is that the holster exposed a training deficiency and it was easier to blame the holster.

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I saw this on M4C and I saw the 2 day old thread here too.

I've taken a closer look at mine and still don't see how you shoot yourself with one of these. I understand it's making a trigger finger do something it shouldn't argument but...

Maybe they are a little different for other guns but mine's for a Walther P99. The release button puts your finger way up on the slide of the gun. Even mistakenly yanking the gun out using the tip of your finger on the release button doesn't put your finger into the trigger guard. It puts your finger tip onto the slide.

I think it's your confused brain saying "I gotta get on the trigger, wait I pushed something, I must be on a trigger!!!!" that causes the AD. Chill stupid brain, chill!!! Your sights aren't on target yet, don't move finger!

I've also seen the pebble in the release button causing it to jam issue too.

My conclusion? Buy a Safariland ALS if you can. If you stick with the Serpa then hopefully you have something that can be kept uncocked with a longer hard trigger pull like my P99 and you don't get down into the gravel or dirt. Light triggered guns? Forget it.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    :eek: I had better get rid of all my Blackhawk holsters, and go back to the widowmakers that the Army was issuing before I get shot!!!

Geez, I would not know how to act having anything other than a Blackhawk serpa.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    They put their finger on trigger, then blame holster?
    Yeah it's not the holster it's the lack of a thumbprint scanner safety on the grip, that surely would have prevented this, or perhaps a plumb weight safety that prevents a firearm from firing if not perfectly level. clearly a gun that is capable of sending the bullet is to blame for all NDs. Because we know that in a training situation one could never unload their firearm to practice before introducing ammunition to new equipment.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There are thousands, or tens of thousands in use. Gonna have something happen sooner or later. I still don't see blaming the holster.

Bane_FTW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Wabash County
    Video of a ND with a thumb driven retention holster.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYvAxLX6OzE[/ame]

Wait.. I think he did that with a Serpa actually if you watch the video closely.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Training fail.

In the third paragraph of the ban order they state that the reason for the AD/ND is a flaw in their training technique. To wit: (This method of releasing the safety device is contrary to our training methods and techniques, which emphasize attacking the holster from the "top down.") :rolleyes:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    What I take from that is only people smart enought to safely handle a handgun should use Serpa's. Dumbass people who are not smart enough to keep their fingers off of the trigger until ready probably should go with another holster. :draw:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    OMG!!! I have them for my 24/7 .45 and my XDm .40. :rolleyes:

Actually, both place my trigger finger well above the guard and trigger as I draw.
    As others have said, it takes deliberate movement to place the finger into a firing position. I've not had a problem and HOPE (meaning I practice unloaded draw to maintain muscle memory) I never do.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Oh Great! I'm already carrying a gun that will go KABOOM (Glock) and now I have a holster that will make it go KABOOM easier! :):

I have been using the Blackhawk Serpa holster for over 2 years now and I don't have any problems drawing...it's pretty simple, keep your dam* finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

Top Bottom