• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    Absolutely love Blackhawk Serpa holsters. Was shown by another instructor where a piece of stick jammed in the locking mechanism can cause it to malfunction. I do not see myself rolling around on the ground while trying to draw my firearm. Could happen, but I will still wear a Serpa and will continue to purchase them.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Is it just me or is the Serpa debate becoming like the gay rights debates in this country?

It's not good enough to tolerate a Serpa and not say anything. If you don't like it you will be berated for your fouled opinion. It's as if no one has the right to not like the Serpa, you're plain wrong if you don't believe it's the best thing going and the debates won't end until everyone claims that they love the Serpa.

Lol

Who has been berated?

Who said it was the "best"?

Who said that disliking it was wrong?

How you got those 3 things from this discussion is beyond me...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I wasn't referring to this thread alone. It's an observation gathered from several threads across several different gun forums.

It's become the latest Ford vs Chevy, Remington vs Savage, Glock vs 1911 debate and I find it entertaining how emotional some get about this particular topic.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I own several SERPA holsters and the release button is directly over the SLIDE not the trigger, you don't need to mash down the button either you only need to brush your index finger across it as you are drawing witch will leave the trigger finger resting i=on the slide pointing to the "business end" of the gun

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    So why do those that choose the Serpa carry with them?
    Job requirement?
    Personal retention - ie jumping jacks and falls?
    CQC retention?
    OC?

LongRangeBushy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2011
    Wabash County
    Im with RabbleRouser-- My index finger is only slide and in no way ever requires enough pressure to actually stay on the frame long enough or hard enough to enter the Trigger guard at anytime..... Likewise i appreciate both sides of the issue and repeat healthy discussionand experience is how we learn....... At the risk of being rude or bashed by the masses one can only wonder how many negative comments come from non users that pick up on a different opinion and run with it... For me I just know i have a lot of training with a Serpa and in various forms of stress training and with good training my only complaint about the serpa is that under stress i tend to completely miss the release by riding my index finger too high on the slide. Never had an issue that after the draw my index finger was bent enough to enter the trigger guard... I say train with what you like and train hard.. it always comes down to personal preferrences .

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I own several SERPA holsters and the release button is directly over the SLIDE not the trigger, you don't need to mash down the button either you only need to brush your index finger across it as you are drawing witch will leave the trigger finger resting i=on the slide pointing to the "business end" of the gun

Yes. Under perfect, non-stress environments, your finger gently brushes the release mechanism and ends up on the slide.

Now, go under a stress environment and attempt to draw. Your movements are violent, fast and aggressive. Not much gentle anything. Especially if you miss the mechanism or pull up before you've disengaged the retention. Now the gun won't come out of the holster and many users will mash down the button on the side. That's where you end up with issues.

Yes, under perfect environments with no dirt or sand in the mechanism and with enough training and practice, the SERPA works. I would just prefer to put my training time into something other that operating my holster. With my holsters, I grip the gun and pull and I'm on my way.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It also depends on once the gun is "broken loose" if you angle the gun (which is bad IMO)

If you rotate the gun muzzle to the front with the finger still dragging the holster I can see where it would naturally fall into the trigger guard (especially on the fast draw type)

IMHO the draw needs to be practiced until you wear one holster out. Then it might be muscle memort NOT to do those things. You only fall back on your training when you are rushed. That and muscle memory.

You hear of guys who just "reacted" well there you go.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I can see the finger problem. And, when the adrenaline dump happens, fine motor skills go, sensors in the finger shut down, and the brain operates on a simpler level.

That being said, there are thousands or tens of thousands of these things in use. I would think you'd need data of discharges from different holsters. Otherwise, you're drawing a conclusion to fit your version of events based on what you "prefer", not reality.

Philabuster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Laporte, IN
    I can see the finger problem. And, when the adrenaline dump happens, fine motor skills go, sensors in the finger shut down, and the brain operates on a simpler level.

If this is such a problem over the use of a holster, it would be a compelling argument that one should never lay their hand on a loaded weapon at all during moments of stress. I just don't buy it.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    They need to look at those accidental discharges are from someone new to the Serpa platform and their firearm. Training is key to using it properly and safely.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Sooo....

I as a Combatant who has used the Serpa for YEARS in actual Combat actions should have already shot myself, so I am apparently one of the luckiest Mother ****ers walking....

Or maybe it is Divine intervention...

God Does love Fools, Drunks, and the US Military. And I have been at least 2 of those 3 most of my life...

Joseph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    cambridge city
    As a serpa user I have to say it takes some getting used to. I did quite a few drill with it before I carried it regularly, how about some dry fire drills before you use it. I can see both sides but honestly you would think by now you would here some stories about someone shooting theirself while defending themselves tether than during training.

Top Bottom