• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This is absolutely incorrect. By getting a PhD those people have, in fact, earned the title doctor (capital D if you want, I don't capitalize it unless using the MD/OD/PhD/JD/etcD). It would be stolen valor to immediately start calling themselves professor or whatever other title that they haven't actually earned. If you want to distinguish, then you can choose to specify the type of doctoral qualification. You're literally arguing semantics.

You have the right to condescend towards others, but as a matter of qualifications and title, you're incorrect. Just because most PhDs don't have a god-complex or feel the need to constantly insert credentials into conversation doesn't actually mean that they're unworthy because some schmuck on the internet wants to run them down.
    Struck a nerve, I see :@ya:

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Struck a nerve, I see :@ya:
    No, I just think it's a bit silly to try to redefine the categories. Else, people with pilot's licenses who are flying planes aren't pilots, and if they pilot a slightly smaller plane, then they're also not pilots. And somehow nurse practitioners are doctors, and MDs who aren't practicing are nothing.

Only the profoundly insecure or overweening insist on being addressed as 'doctor' outside of a professional academic setting, unless they are in fact a medical doctor and not just a Ph.D

Even in a professional academic setting (at least in engineering and the sciences up until I retired in 2019) it would be looked upon askance
    I think we largely agree on the cultural aspect, but in terms of "stolen valor" ********, it's not stolen at all. It's earned. Do medical doctors stand around and call each other doctor? If they do, that'd be a bit embarrassing IMO. I've never been friends with an MD, but I don't imagine I'd call that person doctor outside of a professional medical setting. In an academic setting, there's a differentiation between training & occupational titles - doctor & professor. The fact that academic culture is different from medicine doesn't make those people not trained and not have earned their titles, even if demanding that people call you doctor is the fastest way to point out the most tedious person in the room. [<- Yep, I guess I'm going to leave that open for INGO.]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Am I the only one who remembers Biden's pupils being massively dilated during one of the debates?

He could literally drop his pants on the white house lawn in full view of the public and media, work one off while sniffing a dirty diaper and CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NCS and ABC would completely ignore it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Am I the only one who remembers Biden's pupils being massively dilated during one of the debates?

From the article:
    "I am curious that one of the side effects of Adderall is dilated pupils."

I suggested Adderall earlier in the thread. I didn't know about the dilated pupils side effect, but that would make sense if it was that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    No, I just think it's a bit silly to try to redefine the categories. Else, people with pilot's licenses who are flying planes aren't pilots, and if they pilot a slightly smaller plane, then they're also not pilots. And somehow nurse practitioners are doctors, and MDs who aren't practicing are nothing.

I think we largely agree on the cultural aspect, but in terms of "stolen valor" ********, it's not stolen at all. It's earned. Do medical doctors stand around and call each other doctor? If they do, that'd be a bit embarrassing IMO. I've never been friends with an MD, but I don't imagine I'd call that person doctor outside of a professional medical setting. In an academic setting, there's a differentiation between training & occupational titles - doctor & professor. The fact that academic culture is different from medicine doesn't make those people not trained and not have earned their titles, even if demanding that people call you doctor is the fastest way to point out the most tedious person in the room. [<- Yep, I guess I'm going to leave that open for INGO.]
    But it seems you ignore the common definition of 'doctor' What people overwhelmingly mean when they reference a 'doctor' is someone who is a medical doctor

There is a kernel of truth in the joke where someone is hurt and the call goes out 'Is there a doctor in the house?' and the person who answers is a 'doctor' of literature is some such. The joke turns on just how inappropriate to the need someone such as that answering in the affirmative is

Similarly, to assert merely having an Ph.D should somehow entitle you to be addressed as 'doctor' by the general public is also specious, it is an impersonation unless you set the bar for the title very low - the same as asserting any but the most minimal equivalence between a 172 pilot and a 777 pilot. There is a huge difference in training, ability and experience there. I stand by the stolen valor claim, as the 'doctor' Jill Biden of the world want to be thought of as something they are not, much as someone claiming fraudulent service in the armed forces

Last edited:

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    But it seems you ignore the common definition of 'doctor' What people overwhelmingly mean when they reference a 'doctor' is someone who is a medical doctor
    Sure, but I'm not sure the public's misuse of terms is a solid foundation.

There is a kernel of truth in the joke where someone is hurt and the call goes out 'Is there a doctor in the house?' and the person who answers is a 'doctor' of literature is some such. The joke turns on just how inappropriate to the need someone such as that answering in the affirmative is
    There are all sorts of jokes with kernels of truth, "What do you call a guy who graduates last in his class in medical school? Doctor." Coincidentally, that joke seems to align with degree => title.

Similarly, to assert merely having an Ph.D should somehow entitle you to be addressed as 'doctor' by the general public is also specious, it is an impersonation unless you set the bar for the title very low - the same as asserting any but the most minimal equivalence between a 172 pilot and a 777 pilot. There is a huge difference in training, ability and experience there. I stand by the stolen valor claim, as the 'doctor' Jill Biden of the world want to be thought of as something they are not, much as someone claiming fraudulent service in the armed forces
    It's not specious at all, it's not an impersonation whatsoever for PhDs to claim they are doctors, and it's certainly not equivalent to stolen valor. A person saying "I have a title that indicates this set of qualifications" when that person actually has the qualifications for the title is not the same at all to a person who was never in the armed forces claiming to be a soldier, or a mess hall cook claiming to be a medal of honor recipient. Combat vet => vet, but not the other way. One involves lying, the other doesn't. PhD literally has doctor in the name - of course it's not a lie. It's uncouth in academic culture to go around talking about it all the time, but bad manners isn't the same as lying.

More specific to Jill Biden, and to the general topic of the thread, I don't think I've heard anyone claim that she's a medical doctor in real life. I've seen commenters talk about how she's the first First Lady to maintain an academic position while still serving as First Lady (not a direct quote, and I don't have a reference since I never imagined it'd be of any importance to actually save for later use). One could argue that it better suits the agenda to have her be an academic over a medical doctor given that the Biden voter base is college-educated folks. A wife giving her husband a pill doesn't mean she's playing medical doctor. I'm not a fan of the Bidens, the Clintons, the Bushs, or any of them, but we don't need to make stuff up.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    The one on the right reminds me of the kid playing dueling banjos in Deliverance.

1658113093832.png

Edit: ha ha, someone beat me to it already:

1658113368053.png

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sure, but I'm not sure the public's misuse of terms is a solid foundation.

There are all sorts of jokes with kernels of truth, "What do you call a guy who graduates last in his class in medical school? Doctor." Coincidentally, that joke seems to align with degree => title.

It's not specious at all, it's not an impersonation whatsoever for PhDs to claim they are doctors, and it's certainly not equivalent to stolen valor. A person saying "I have a title that indicates this set of qualifications" when that person actually has the qualifications for the title is not the same at all to a person who was never in the armed forces claiming to be a soldier, or a mess hall cook claiming to be a medal of honor recipient. Combat vet => vet, but not the other way. One involves lying, the other doesn't. PhD literally has doctor in the name - of course it's not a lie. It's uncouth in academic culture to go around talking about it all the time, but bad manners isn't the same as lying.

More specific to Jill Biden, and to the general topic of the thread, I don't think I've heard anyone claim that she's a medical doctor in real life. I've seen commenters talk about how she's the first First Lady to maintain an academic position while still serving as First Lady (not a direct quote, and I don't have a reference since I never imagined it'd be of any importance to actually save for later use). One could argue that it better suits the agenda to have her be an academic over a medical doctor given that the Biden voter base is college-educated folks. A wife giving her husband a pill doesn't mean she's playing medical doctor. I'm not a fan of the Bidens, the Clintons, the Bushs, or any of them, but we don't need to make stuff up.

Nor is a PhD the only doctorate available! Jill Biden, wife of former vice president Joe Biden, got flak for persistently calling herself “Dr. Biden” after she received a doctorate in education. Graduates of American law schools receive a J.D. (juris doctor) but no sane person refers to a lawyer as “doctor.” Those who become doctors of canonical law in the Catholic Church receive impressive hats as part of their regalia, but I am not persuaded that this magnificent haberdashery entitles them to an everyday honorific.

Reserving the everyday use of “doctor” for those in the medical profession may slight some deserving PhD-holders, but it is consistent with common use. It may be reasonable to address exceptional scholars as “doctor” outside of their academic and professional sphere, but this courtesy should not be expected, let alone demanded, by everyone with a doctoral degree.

Either way, non-medical doctors will not gain any respect by insisting on their academic titles outside of the traditional academic and professional realms in which they are used. These attempts to force status distinctions are unlikely to succeed, and they will probably produce more resentment than respect.

Top Bottom