When she's ten feet tall

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think this is the right one, if not, Wish you were here?View attachment 211826

0fe.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Over here in Europe we don't use the word "doctor" unless they have a doctorate in medicine.

Even our minister of health here in France (who is a physician) is not called "doctor" by journalists and doesn't call himself "doctor".
    He's only referred as "mister" since he's not currently acting as a physician but as a politician.

Calling the First Lady "Dr. Jill" seems weird to me.
    In my experience other than those with a MD, the only ones with a PhD that want to be called Dr. are those in education. I don't think I've heard of any others refer to themselves or want to be called Dr. With one exception and that would be those with a PhD in veterinary medicine. Which is still a medical Dr. just not for humans.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my experience other than those with a MD, the only ones with a PhD that want to be called Dr. are those in education. I don't think I've heard of any others refer to themselves or want to be called Dr. With one exception and that would be those with a PhD in veterinary medicine. Which is still a medical Dr. just not for humans.
    What about doctor Phil, the TV guy? He's not a physician or even a licensed therapist. :dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The leader of the free world is hopped up on goof balls.......think about that.
    I'm not sure that position is currently filled.

I mean, I've teared up more than once watching basketball or football teams including mentally or physically challenged kids in a game, allowing them to not only participate but to score or whatever the goal of the game is. It is absolutely wonderful to watch but I think doing it with the office of the POTUS has gone on long enough.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Since we're on the "who's a real doctor" side show, the word "doctor" basically means "qualified to teach/train." So a Doctor of medicine is a person qualified to teach a person to practice medicine, a PhD is a person trained in research who is capable of performing independent research and training others to perform research/work in that field. It's not improper to be called a doctor with a PhD. That said, most researchers are pretty skeptical of education researchers - it's usually a question of "what do you actually do?" There are a few people who do things like track eye motion and correlate it with timings and what students write down/think aloud, but the field is a lot of "trust us, we're helping you teach better." It's a bit of an irony that many of these education research people are often among the worst at lecturing & presenting. I'm not in physics education, but the few conversations I've had with them make me pretty skeptical of the field - I think most of them don't understand students, even in optional or major-specific advanced courses. They also leverage all these various metrics, but never actually make any changes in how they assign grades. Why would students care if it doesn't affect how they're graded. They also sometimes introduce really complex-looking mathematical machinery for things that could be done in a simpler and straight-forward manner, or claim that just writing things down to organize thoughts is white supremacist.

As a person who's taught many "future doctors," I don't think we should put MDs on too high of a pedestal.

Also, as mentioned before, most PhDs aren't so insecure as to demand people call them doctors all the time. To be fair, I can imagine that when campaigning, the word doctor might help instill some confidence that the person is educated - especially among the trust-the-experts / stay-in-your-lane crowd.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Tucker programming.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Over here in Europe we don't use the word "doctor" unless they have a doctorate in medicine.

Even our minister of health here in France (who is a physician) is not called "doctor" by journalists and doesn't call himself "doctor".
    He's only referred as "mister" since he's not currently acting as a physician but as a politician.

Calling the First Lady "Dr. Jill" seems weird to me.
    Only the profoundly insecure or overweening insist on being addressed as 'doctor' outside of a professional academic setting, unless they are in fact a medical doctor and not just a Ph.D

Even in a professional academic setting (at least in engineering and the sciences up until I retired in 2019) it would be looked upon askance

It is academically somewhat akin to stolen valor

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Since we're on the "who's a real doctor" side show, the word "doctor" basically means "qualified to teach/train." So a Doctor of medicine is a person qualified to teach a person to practice medicine, a PhD is a person trained in research who is capable of performing independent research and training others to perform research/work in that field. It's not improper to be called a doctor with a PhD. That said, most researchers are pretty skeptical of education researchers - it's usually a question of "what do you actually do?" There are a few people who do things like track eye motion and correlate it with timings and what students write down/think aloud, but the field is a lot of "trust us, we're helping you teach better." It's a bit of an irony that many of these education research people are often among the worst at lecturing & presenting. I'm not in physics education, but the few conversations I've had with them make me pretty skeptical of the field - I think most of them don't understand students, even in optional or major-specific advanced courses. They also leverage all these various metrics, but never actually make any changes in how they assign grades. Why would students care if it doesn't affect how they're graded. They also sometimes introduce really complex-looking mathematical machinery for things that could be done in a simpler and straight-forward manner, or claim that just writing things down to organize thoughts is white supremacist.

As a person who's taught many "future doctors," I don't think we should put MDs on too high of a pedestal.

Also, as mentioned before, most PhDs aren't so insecure as to demand people call them doctors all the time. To be fair, I can imagine that when campaigning, the word doctor might help instill some confidence that the person is educated - especially among the trust-the-experts / stay-in-your-lane crowd.

I'm not quite so sanguine. Both the person commanding a 172 and commanding a Boeing 777 are qualified to be called 'pilot-in-command', but there is a vast difference in the responsibility that goes with the designation, especially responsibility for the lives and safety of others. The same is true with Doctor and 'doctor'

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Ron White's funnier.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I'm not quite so sanguine. Both the person commanding a 172 and commanding a Boeing 777 are qualified to be called 'pilot-in-command', but there is a vast difference in the responsibility that goes with the designation, especially responsibility for the lives and safety of others. The same is true with Doctor and 'doctor'
    I think you're splitting hairs because you want to. Both are in fact pilots. If you want additional qualifications of status, introduce additional jargon (e.g. a commercial/professional pilot). A pediatrician is a medical doctor and could reasonably be cut out in your no-true-doctor fallacy that you're working on.

It is academically somewhat akin to stolen valor
    This is absolutely incorrect. By getting a PhD those people have, in fact, earned the title doctor (capital D if you want, I don't capitalize it unless using the MD/OD/PhD/JD/etcD). It would be stolen valor to immediately start calling themselves professor or whatever other title that they haven't actually earned. If you want to distinguish, then you can choose to specify the type of doctoral qualification. You're literally arguing semantics.

You have the right to condescend towards others, but as a matter of qualifications and title, you're incorrect. Just because most PhDs don't have a god-complex or feel the need to constantly insert credentials into conversation doesn't actually mean that they're unworthy because some schmuck on the internet wants to run them down.

Ron White's funnier.

Okay... And?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Having worked in an Alzheimer's ward, I would think both the patients and the family would say yes, especially since POTUS hasn't died and old people fall fairly often without the help. I recall one woman who was essentially trapped in the day after her husband died. She woke up every day to the raw pain of having lost a spouse because it was fresh every single day. Yes, I think both her and her family would have jumped at the chance to take a pill to give her some hours of relief.

But nobody is given that option because your anti-dementia pill is a fantasy you want to believe in for political purposes.

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-dementia/treatments/medications-for-memory

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    I have no time for those that must correct and insist you address them by title. They have told me immediately by their action, that it’s about them. It puts me in a mind to intentionally use the wrong title just to see if they will go off the deep end.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    But nobody is given that option because your anti-dementia pill is a fantasy you want to believe in for political purposes.

It isn't magic, and isn't anti-dementia.

It's anti-psychotic.

You're talking to someone who has been around these medications and seen their effects, and trying to tell me it doesn't exist, lol.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom