• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I agree that it sounds pretentious, but it's not inaccurate. Also agreed that bickering with the general public is not likely to get them to give more respect - I've not yet gotten the PhD, but I can't imagine myself stomping my feet in real life, or good grief, posting to twitter demanding people use the title.

Going to have to call BS on calling MDs as Dr out of respect for their service. That sounds pretty after-the-fact to me. I think it's far more likely that people just saw that every town needed medical doctors, needed lawyers, but most don't have research laboratories, so there's simply not as much familiarity with it (I mean, the general public pictures scientists standing around with lab coats and beakers, but that's not really representative of most labs).
    In terms of jargon for lawyers, JDs also have the term esquire that got adopted into the legal profession somehow, and lawyer is a professional title. I suppose my argument is that the Dr. shouldn't "travel" for MDs into regular life, but if a person who's an MD, PhD, JD, or any of the other Ds what's to slap a title before their name (especially when introducing him/her self), it's their prerogative. It's simply not a lie, even if it makes our skin crawl. Why does it make our skin crawl? Because inserting it in order to posture oneself over others is gross, just like the referenced Lydia did to her sisters.

Edited just to add: I think I've gotten enough of my hair-splitting out on this.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think it's far more likely that people just saw that every town needed medical doctors, needed lawyers, but most don't have research laboratories, so there's simply not as much familiarity with it (I mean, the general public pictures scientists standing around with lab coats and beakers, but that's not really representative of most labs).
    I will grant that even in the 50's when Marty time traveled there, Emmett Brown was known to everyone as 'Doc Brown', although I'm not sure if it is ever mentioned if he actually has a graduate degree or from what IoHL

If he does not, would not the honorific have been bestowed because of his service :@ya:

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    ; Americans are easily impressed; you put the word "Dr." in front of a person's name and all of a sudden they're 'qualified'. Jill Biden holds a Doctor in Education (Ed.D.).
    Even that is a stretch. Her doctoral dissertation is pretty bad. There's a link to it at the start of the story.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I am so shocked!
    'His staff, supervised by Dr. Jill, his wife, was giving him pills before every public appearance. Checking the time, and at the certain hour giving him a dose of something,' said Carlson.

'Before taking the medications, this person said Biden was 'Like a small child.' You could not communicate with him, he changed completely because he was on drugs and he clearly still is on drugs,' the pundit alleged.

He needs more pills double the dose....

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom