Best truck for the collapse of civilization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If there are any Amish reading any of these 10,000 end of the world threads speculating about nonsense Ill bet they are chuckling out loud.
    Dont kid yourself.
    All the Amish where my family's farm is in St Mary's co Maryland burn either gas or diesel.
    It's tough to run a sawmill, machine shop, buggy shop, butcher shop, retail business, motor repair shop, bakery and so on with out either compressed air or generator for electricity.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Dont kid yourself.
    All the Amish where my family's farm is in St Mary's co Maryland burn either gas or diesel.
    It's tough to run a sawmill, machine shop, buggy shop, butcher shop, retail business, motor repair shop, bakery and so on with out either compressed air or generator for electricity.
    No matter what happens with the world falling apart the gov will just take more control of everything and regulate out to the masses as they have been doing for decades and accelerated during covid. If I was young and really thought there would be some sort future the way guys here fantasize about I would be trying to date an Amish woman and take my chances there rather then figuring out what truck to get or the best guns for the daily fire fights I would fantasize about getting in and surviving.

Ill bet those Amish still have all the equipment they had 100 years ago stashed away to go back to the old ways and can get by with a fraction of the diesel one would need to drive around in a bug out truck before someone shoots you.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Since you asked specifically about a truck, I assume the question is regarding the ability to transport large or heavy items over a significant distance in a relatively short period of time. The need for something like that is significantly reduced under most 3rd world living conditions (or worse), but the need does still exist. I'd say anything that has a mechanically injected diesel and a manual transmission. I was especially fond of the fords with the 6.9/7.3 IDI and a ZF5 transmission. Methanol would be easier to make long term, but the odds of having a functional ignition system (ie spark plugs) are not good. Methanol is one component used to convert vegetable oil to biodiesel, but it would be more effective to use it to just thin vegetable oil or motor oil down so you can use it straight, just don't ever mix motor oil and vegetable oil. They don't play well together in a fuel system. Also make sure to keep some extra fuel pumps and injectors on the shelf. Used motor oil is abrasive and will wear the pump out prematurely, and vegetable oil will plasticize over time when it's in contact with steel, which will render the injectors and fuel pumps useless. Ideally, if you're prepping for SHTF, you fill several barrels with 1,000 gal of pump diesel and bury them so the UV doesn't break down the fuel, and people don't know you have it. Leave it buried for the first month or two. By then the population will be significantly less, and the mass movement of people between population centers will have likely died down a lot.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    See if you can make that small block chevy run on kerosene, motor oil, cooking oil and endless amounts of other fuels that will combust in a injector pump diesel.
    It will be tough to get gasoline when the refinery's have shut down.
    If you cook wood like you're trying to make shine, you get methanol which should power most older gas engines. The big question is why did the poo hit the oscillating device? That will determine the duration of the emergency, and what kinds of systems may not be operable any more, which could preclude the use of most gas engines built in the past +40 years.

Grinderman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2024
    Cloverdale
    Possible with a centrifugal supercharger, although it would require a really nimble ECU to handle the wild swings in the fuel curve.

Now, please explain to me how that would work on a Roots type blower, which is what Max's cruiser had.
    I can't see how it would work with a roots type blower. Their designed to pump air at the same rpm as the engine. And there is no free flow of intake air when not engaged. Centrifugal, yeah. Ol' Mad Max had some artistic license going on there I would bet.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If you cook wood like you're trying to make shine, you get methanol which should power most older gas engines. The big question is why did the poo hit the oscillating device? That will determine the duration of the emergency, and what kinds of systems may not be operable any more, which could preclude the use of most gas engines built in the past +40 years.
    All of my 4 wheel rides except one 4x4 truck burn diesel. The only reason we would cook wood is for the methanol to be used with transesterification with making a bio diesel.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My Amish neighbor is gonna be pi$$ed when he can't buy gas for the 300HP outboard motor on his $80K bassboat. :D
    I text pictures home to to all the yoders that I grew up around of the Amish, Minnis and german baptist moms, dads, grandmas and grandpas betting on the horses at Andersons racetrack.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I can't see how it would work with a roots type blower. Their designed to pump air at the same rpm as the engine. And there is no free flow of intake air when not engaged. Centrifugal, yeah. Ol' Mad Max had some artistic license going on there I would bet.
    With an air bypass, a few of Mercedes engines use root compressers.
    They have an electric clutch.
    And a Roots can be underdriven or 1 to 1 or overdriven. Just a pulley change.

Grinderman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2024
    Cloverdale
    With an air bypass, a few of Mercedes engines use root compressers.
    They have an electric clutch.
    And a Roots can be underdriven or 1 to 1 or overdriven. Just a pulley change.
    Huh, guess ya learn something new everyday. I'll have to check it out. After some investigation though, the Weiand 6-71 blower on the Mad Max Ford wasn't even real for most of the filming. Eventually it was replaced with a real unit and to simulate it starting with the switch, they just filmed it while starting the engine. It was on the Internet so it must be true!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I believe in leading by example so I'll start, though I know very little....
    Im saying a lifted diesel; NOT a 6.0 or 6.4 Powerstroke.
    Thats as far as I can go with my limited knowledge/experience.
    Something like this...which is not overly lifted?
    2001 Ford Excursion XLT 4x4 with a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel...
    My only concern is finding oil supplies for fuel after stocked supplies run out?

uoTkenf.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom