Best truck for the collapse of civilization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I got worried about this and bought a 300 gallon fuel tank about 4 years ago. I have yet to fill it up but if there's no electricity, there are no gas pumps and no atms. However, if I keep cash at the house I've discovered I just send up buying guns and trucks...

Sidebar, country mark said delivery is free if you buy at least 200 gallons I think. There's no discount for bulk purchase though. My goal was to buy when it hit 3.17/gal but money was too tight at that time.
    Buy the ethanol free from countrymark…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you’re storing fuel, diesel is the only real long term option. With the e-content in most gasolines even in a perfectly sealed system it’ll be tough to keep it usable past 6-8 months. Diesel can change the filters and drain off the water and keep going

Better to err on the short side, but I've stored gasoline for 2+years and it still ran vehicles and equipment just fine. I didn't actually mean to, but sometimes you end up on the other side of the planet for longer than you thought you would.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Better to err on the short side, but I've stored gasoline for 2+years and it still ran vehicles and equipment just fine. I didn't actually mean to, but sometimes you end up on the other side of the planet for longer than you thought you would.
    Non ethanol fuel stored in a sealed environment will hang for long time.
    Look at Coleman's white gas in gallon cans, it has no use by date.
    Diesel with good additives like Biobore, diesel kept in a good environment will be good for years and years.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Shibumiseeker did a very informative practical experiment that he posted about a few years ago. The gist was that gasoline stored in 55 gal drums did last (for him) for at least a couple of years with no problems.

I bought a 55 gal drum to keep full at my place, pulling from it and topping off as needed. I haven’t filled it yet, since I’m just now getting the out-building re-sided and roofed where I plan to keep it (aways from the house). Now I have 8 5-gal plastic cans that are numbered do that I can rotate.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just landed in the classy's today. Sweet looking chevy, with a bad-assed cow catcher...

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    M35A2 or 3...... all mechanical. Needs no electrical. Runs on anything petroleum based. Emp proof. Push start it or roll it down a hill. Will run over or through most anything and takes a crescent wrench and screwdriver to fix..

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    I know where several Mack dump trucks are parked, with keys in the ignition,full tanks of fuel, at all times.
    I'll go pick one up.
    100 gallon tank and at least 10 Mpg not loaded. So that'll get me 1000 miles on 1 tank!
    Plus I have a good chance at running over, or thru what might be in my way.
    Plus plus I know how to work on them better than gas engines.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Had a similar conversation with some pals the other day about zombie trucks. Y'all got the wrong idea. Car/truck doesn't matter. You need a sail boat .

Go take over a house by a lake. Spend your time on a sailboat in the middle of the lake. Fish and chill. When not on the water raid near by houses. For supplies. Then find a electric bike to get around and get some solar panels or windmills or what ever.....

What's more important is how do you build a still or what ever you need dto make bourbon...

If you're reading this and youre up will you bring me a bourbon?

Mike Maddox

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Otterbein
    Had a similar conversation with some pals the other day about zombie trucks. Y'all got the wrong idea. Car/truck doesn't matter. You need a sail boat .

Go take over a house by a lake. Spend your time on a sailboat in the middle of the lake. Fish and chill. When not on the water raid near by houses. For supplies. Then find a electric bike to get around and get some solar panels or windmills or what ever.....

What's more important is how do you build a still or what ever you need dto make bourbon...

If you're reading this and youre up will you bring me a bourbon?

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    In Iraq the mad lads in Motor-T had a truck souped up from parts taken from damaged vehicles. I always thought it looked like it had that apocalypse vibe.
    089.JPG

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Ever seen a setup like that for a blower?
    Sure have.
    Ogura and Eaton offer optional electric clutches on superchargers.
    What's the thought behind wanting to turn it on or off?
    For the same reasons a/c compressors have them. It improves the flexibility of a supercharged engine as to turn it off when it's not needed.
    Like when idling or to improve fuel economy.

Possible with a centrifugal supercharger, although it would require a really nimble ECU to handle the wild swings in the fuel curve.

Now, please explain to me how that would work on a Roots type blower, which is what Max's cruiser had.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    See if you can make that small block chevy run on kerosene, motor oil, cooking oil and endless amounts of other fuels that will combust in a injector pump diesel.
    It will be tough to get gasoline when the refinery's have shut down.
    Everything has a pro or a con. I think a pro of the small block is easy parts. You think multiple sources of fuel is a pro. Mij thinks he is going to raise corn for ethanol. Some want a monster truck others a gray man vehicle. A case can be made for or against any of these.
    Who would give a poop about parts when your ride is dead with the lack of fuel.
    You honestly believe that having a vehicle an engine that can burn dozens and dozens of different fuels versus an engine that can only burn gasoline isn't a pro...

Short of a nuclear exchange, there will be about a 3~4 year supply in the ground, available to those who know how to get it.
    Of course this will vary according to your actual usage, how much you barter away, and how long you can keep it viable.
    As close as the corner down the block, or more successfully, at exurb stations. It will involve risk, but it'll give you a time cushion to come up with something more suitable , such as a multi fueled vehicle (probably a horse).

Dardbr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 17, 2022
    Battleground
    Assuming complete and total collapse it's not really going to matter. If you can actually survive more than a year you're going to be living past the expiration point of most diesel and gasoline left on the planet.

You could maybe go longer if you had your own personal fuel stockpile that was temperature controlled and treated with stabilizing agents, but that would only work for so long. There are other factors like climate and location that will result in fuels degrading slower or quicker. Cold, dry areas will prolong the lifespan of fuels where as hot and moist climates will degrade them much faster.

This will probably be the least liked answer on this sub, but your best bet is probably some sort of electric vehicle assuming you have an infinite budget. Solar panels have been increasing in quality and decreasing in price exponentially the last decade so you could probably find units today that would reliably last you around 10-15 years with minimal maintenance that would allow you charge a vehicle for short trips. Assuming you don't have a catastrophic failure of the battery in your vehicle then it would probably last just as long as the panels themselves if you can do the maintenance yourself.

But that's all assuming you aren't raided and they arent stolen/destroyed. Your best bet is probably to prepare for life without any vehicle that needs a motor or engine.

Needless to say, the collapse of modern society on a global scale would most likely not be survivable for your average person.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Possible with a centrifugal supercharger, although it would require a really nimble ECU to handle the wild swings in the fuel curve.

Now, please explain to me how that would work on a Roots type blower, which is what Max's cruiser had.
    With an air bypass that opens when the blower is not turning.
    As I recall some Mercedes run Roots and they can have electric clutches.
    Like on the 1.8 Kompressors it freewheels when the clutch is disengaged.

TAB30-06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2023
    Otterbein
    B
    What good is a truck without working fuel pumps?

You won't be hauling much cause no one else will have fuel ether, right?

The supply chain will stop. Did we not learn anything from the scamdemic?

Wouldn't one be a LOT better off with a quick little fuel efficient car? Motorcycle? Fast e-bike?
    But then where would I stow my shopping bags of gasoline?

butwhat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    West of Morrocco
    What good is a truck without working fuel pumps?

You won't be hauling much cause no one else will have fuel ether, right?

The supply chain will stop. Did we not learn anything from the scamdemic?

Wouldn't one be a LOT better off with a quick little fuel efficient car? Motorcycle? Fast e-bike?
    Is that why ULSD has such a short shelf life?

So they can control us?

We're going from a 500 gallon tank to a 300 gallon diesel tank because the "not so new diesel" doesn't store well especially if blended with bio.

We just don't use enough fuel to run the risk of putting bad fuel in our newer diesels.

For some reason ULSD doesn't seem as friendly to being mixed with bio as the old diesel.

ULSD is also not brass friendly. I use all stainless or steel fittings now.

There's diesel available that has a long shelf life, but not around here. Shipping was cost prohibitive.

Need a plastics to fuel plant.
    Gasification
    Who has time for that?

For a vehicle, I'd pick an older diesel. Moog. International, Vietnam era multi fuel 6x6

Top Bottom