Best truck for the collapse of civilization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's interesting how naïve a lot folks are when it comes unrest isn't it? Otherwise intelligent people that think their plan is a good one because it's what they thought up?

Kinda like those who's SHTF "get home" plan consist of looting their way home.

:n00b:

Many forget that other people also get a vote

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Since this thread is in the preparedness section, I wonder how much fuel we all keep on hand for emergencies?

Even though your diesel truck might run on any number of fuels, do you have an amount of those various fuels on hand so you don't have to venture out into Mad Max land to try to find them? Trying to find fuel, even odd fuel, while others are in the same hunt as you?

:scratch:

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Since this thread is in the preparedness section, I wonder how much fuel we all keep on hand for emergencies?

Even though your diesel truck might run on any number of fuels, do you have an amount of those various fuels on hand so you don't have to venture out into Mad Max land to try to find them? Trying to find fuel, even odd fuel, while others are in the same hunt as you?

I got worried about this and bought a 300 gallon fuel tank about 4 years ago. I have yet to fill it up but if there's no electricity, there are no gas pumps and no atms. However, if I keep cash at the house I've discovered I just send up buying guns and trucks...

Sidebar, country mark said delivery is free if you buy at least 200 gallons I think. There's no discount for bulk purchase though. My goal was to buy when it hit 3.17/gal but money was too tight at that time.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I got worried about this and bought a 300 gallon fuel tank about 4 years ago. I have yet to fill it up but if there's no electricity, there are no gas pumps and no atms. However, if I keep cash at the house I've discovered I just send up buying guns and trucks...

Sidebar, country mark said delivery is free if you buy at least 200 gallons I think. There's no discount for bulk purchase though. My goal was to buy when it hit 3.17/gal but money was too tight at that time.
    Seems you need to loosen up the money.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    If you’re storing fuel, diesel is the only real long term option. With the e-content in most gasolines even in a perfectly sealed system it’ll be tough to keep it usable past 6-8 months. Diesel can change the filters and drain off the water and keep going

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

I keep a few 5 gallon metal gas cans. They have saved me more than once since the 'rona, as a lot of normal gas stations are no longer open 24/7.

I have messed up my rotation and discovered a couple of cans of three year old gas. I was concerned about using it, but it burnt fine. Wouldn't know, if I didn't know it was old.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Who would give a poop about parts when your ride is dead with the lack of fuel.
    And this is why I'm looking for an old FJ40 Landcruiser to plop a mechanically injected diesel into. You can virtually rebuild the entire truck on the trail with just 15 hand tools. No ecu's/programming required, no ignition boxes or digital dash etc. Just what is needed run and drive.
    1723132029011.png
    I would dig one the old Power Wagons too, but I have no tools/facilities to work on that heavy of machinery.
    1723131996384.png

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What kind of fuel mileage do the big heavy diesel vehicles get?

Same milaeage with pump diesel as kerosene, waiste oil or cooking oil?

Top Bottom