Best truck for the collapse of civilization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The problem with horses are, they have higher maintenance needs that my 7.3 dually sitting in the driveway on a solar charger.

Horses aren't stuck traveling in places a dually will fit. Point: Horse

Duallys aren't afraid of snakes and won't nope right off if they think they see one. Point: Dually

A mommy and a daddy dually won't make an S-10. Point: Horse

Duallys won't sneak into the veggies or escape if the gate is open. Point: Dually

If you're drunk a good horse will stay under you and get you home. Duallys just find the nearest ditch.

I think we have a clear winner, here.

Bitcoin919

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2022
    West Side
    Something like this...which is not overly lifted?
    2001 Ford Excursion XLT 4x4 with a 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel...
    My only concern is finding oil supplies for fuel after stocked supplies run out?

uoTkenf.jpg
    Trucking companies and other companies with work truck fleets, will be more often than not, abandoned - if we're talking post collapse. Those kinds of places should be gold mines for diesel fuel that one could siphon. Seems reasonable enough one could find oil and other fluids there as well.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    All of my 4 wheel rides except one 4x4 truck burn diesel. The only reason we would cook wood is for the methanol to be used with transesterification with making a bio diesel.
    The biggest advantages to diesel in a societal reset is that industrial and agricultural equipment uses it, and if you protect it it doesn't go bad like pump gas does. That said, biodiesel take a noticeable amount of power to produce, and vegetable oil would be hard to find. The various supplies of diesel, and their alternatives would be gone and not easily replaced within a few months. So whether you start off with a lot or a little, it's going to be nearly a lifetime supply because you're never going to be able to get any more.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Definitely not an EV and I would use whatever vehicle runs. I have no preference; hence, I'll drive what's in front of me...as long as it's an automatic. Can't drive a manual (i'm sorry)

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    The one with the biggest bed and highest towing capacity, so whoever caps you can haul away your giant loop-drop stash of goodies, because let’s be real, most of us wouldn’t make it longer than a few weeks anyway… :lmfao:

IMG_6012.jpeg

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Watched an episode of Dirty Civilians recently where they had electric bikes.... think you could still peddle them anyway. They were quiet and pretty quick. It wouldn't take much to set up a small solar system to recharge them I'm guessing. A small pull behind trailer would let you move more equipment.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Watched an episode of Dirty Civilians recently where they had electric bikes.... think you could still peddle them anyway. They were quiet and pretty quick. It wouldn't take much to set up a small solar system to recharge them I'm guessing. A small pull behind trailer would let you move more equipment.

I seen their video also. They are always interesting and have enough solid content that they are believable.

I would like to see some YouTubers wring this EB theory out.

The actual gear to solar charge the bike and actually doing it with daily use over time.

The same with pedaling them when out of power or the event of electronics failure. Is it realistic to think you could pedal a dead EB ten miles? Flat ground, hilly roads, fire trails?

Last edited:

BackFromDC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    Maybe a M274 Mule? Those are pretty simple from what I've heard...but I also heard they don't drive very well. I've been trying to find one to restore with a friend for novelties sake.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well we don't need to go back to horses.. but there is one type of vehicle that will run on stuff you can dig out of the ground, or cut down.

Some sort of Steam Vehicle you could probably keep running for a long time once the liquid fuels run out.

Sadly Steam wagons are not the most common thing around here like they are in england, but there are a few Steam Tractors around..

Top Bottom