• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    are you wanting tradition hawks or are you wanting the newer full tang micarta handled hawks. if it's the latter there is a lot of companies out there really making some killer hawks. I have a couple favorites though and none of them are cheap. in no particular order. RMJ tactical, Omnivore bladeworks, Jk hand made knives. if you could find one a swamp rat crash axe. If you have a lot of money winkler makes some killer blades too.

here are some of my jk hawks

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0383.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    RMJ Tactical, American Tomahawk Company, and Winkler are the big 3 for tactical hawks, but the Winkler is pretty pricey for what it is.

The Glax is a cool hawk too.

Like Grunt Soldier said, the Crash Axe is awesome if you can find one.

Also, Swamp Rat knives is coming out with the War Hawk sometime this year, it's bretty BA too. It made its debut at Blade last year and has yet to be released.

img0841f.jpg

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    That swamp rat war hawk is bad ass. I love the option on the handle to choke up on it. That is a sweet set up. I too really like the RMJ hawks also and have used grunts JK hawks and they are amazing hawks and cheaper than most of the others he suggested. Around $200 I believe. The RMJ is gonna run from $300-$500 depending on which one but will have a pretty good wait time of a 6 weeks or more.

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I recently got the SOG tactical hawk as a stocking stuffer. It has done great at clearing small and medium branches/brush. It is also pretty fun to throw.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the sog hawks (especially the clearance ones that were at walmart for 20 bucks) are hella good value for the money. I have 2 of them and really enjoy them.

The JK hawks I posted were all in 01 steel.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Well the way I see it the "tactical" tomahawk has three uses listed in order of likelihood=

Breeching vehicles and structures
    Bushcraft
    CQB

If you just want one that you can hurt people with then get anything, as a matter of fact just get a decent roofing hammer since they are better made that a lot of the crap out there.

If you want one just for bushcraft you are probably better off just getting a Gransfords Brooks hatchet.

If you want to breech structures and vehicles the only one for me is the RMJ Shrike. I have a class certified through the University of Iowa on Breeching for First Responders. Our primary tool is the shrike because it allows any first responder to carry one on his person and not have to get back to their vehicle after realizing they need it.

Can you do this with the other hawks out there? Define your needs and choose your tool, not the other way around- George

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Well the way I see it the "tactical" tomahawk has three uses listed in order of likelihood=

Breeching vehicles and structures
    Bushcraft
    CQB

If you just want one that you can hurt people with then get anything, as a matter of fact just get a decent roofing hammer since they are better made that a lot of the crap out there.

If you want one just for bushcraft you are probably better off just getting a Gransfords Brooks hatchet.

If you want to breech structures and vehicles the only one for me is the RMJ Shrike. I have a class certified through the University of Iowa on Breeching for First Responders. Our primary tool is the shrike because it allows any first responder to carry one on his person and not have to get back to their vehicle after realizing they need it.

Can you do this with the other hawks out there? Define your needs and choose your tool, not the other way around- George

I bet I can do that with my JK hawks or the swamp rat crash axe :) don't get me wrong I love the RMJ shrike but there are definitely plenty of hawks out that can do that stuff also IMO

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You can do that with about any $20 Hawk, or Hatchet...

Not really that impressive, and damn sure does not need anything near as expensive as a RMJ Shrike...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    OK, please do it and post pics.:rolleyes:
    Actually I just got through cutting the windshield out of a Chrysler Minivan using a $3 Harbor Freight Automatic Center Punch and a $5 Folding Pruning Saw. I had the front window out before the Jaws were set up. I'll check and see if the Department Photographer had time to take pictures this time or if she was to busy dragging line to put the car out.

I would almost bet that with just the $3 Center punch and my boot I can take a front window out faster than you did with that hawk...

I'll damn sure get you pics the next time we have a Training Event.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I agree that it is easy to take a windshield out, what is not easy is doing it in such a way that limits the debris that enter the passenger compartment and onto the victims.

As far as the center punch and pruning saw go, can you go from taking out the windshield and use them to pop the trunk or hood? How about going through some sheet rock or cinder block? How about popping a door lock? How about getting through the window that is reinforced with wire? I have no interest in carrying around a golf bag full of different tools.

Again, a hammer makes an awesome tool for hitting people. Just sucks for rescue and bushcraft. Most of the hawks out there fall into the same category.

When it comes to any edged weapon, a tool knife will make a good weapon, the same is not true for a self defense knife being used as a tool.- George

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I agree that it is easy to take a windshield out, what is not easy is doing it in such a way that limits the debris that enter the passenger compartment and onto the victims.
    Mainly just a matter of technique and practice...
    As far as the center punch and pruning saw go, can you go from taking out the windshield and use them to pop the trunk or hood? How about going through some sheet rock or cinder block? How about popping a door lock? How about getting through the window that is reinforced with wire? I have no interest in carrying around a golf bag full of different tools.
    I have a big Red Toolbox on wheels with cool lights all around it. Why would I want to limit myself to one tool?! Generally While I am removing the Windshield and Windows that need to be gone for Patient or Medic Safety, someone else is removing the Battery Cables, Someone is prepping the Jaws or other tools to rip the car open like a tuna can.
    Sheet Rock or Cinder Walls, I have an Axe or Halogen, or a Pike.
    I have found my Halogen works great on Doors, Locks, and Windows. And My little $5 Dollar Pruning Saw will cut right through most Wire Reinforced Windows just fine.
    Again, a hammer makes an awesome tool for hitting people. Just sucks for rescue and bushcraft. Most of the hawks out there fall into the same category.

When it comes to any edged weapon, a tool knife will make a good weapon, the same is not true for a self defense knife being used as a tool.- George
    While a Hawk might work for Rescue, I am generally under a time crunch. I'll use the right tool and do it in half the time. I have tried to pry doors open with bars and axes on wrecked cars, usually doesn't work well...

Top Bottom