• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Mainly just a matter of technique and practice...

I have a big Red Toolbox on wheels with cool lights all around it. Why would I want to limit myself to one tool?! Generally While I am removing the Windshield and Windows that need to be gone for Patient or Medic Safety, someone else is removing the Battery Cables, Someone is prepping the Jaws or other tools to rip the car open like a tuna can.
    Sheet Rock or Cinder Walls, I have an Axe or Halogen, or a Pike.
    I have found my Halogen works great on Doors, Locks, and Windows. And My little $5 Dollar Pruning Saw will cut right through most Wire Reinforced Windows just fine.

While a Hawk might work for Rescue, I am generally under a time crunch. I'll use the right tool and do it in half the time. I have tried to pry doors open with bars and axes on wrecked cars, usually doesn't work well...

While a Hawk might work for Rescue, I am generally under a time crunch. I'll use the right tool and do it in half the time. I have tried to pry doors open with bars and axes on wrecked cars, usually doesn't work well...[/QUOTE]

your illustrating the point he is making: less tools for more jobs. usually the right tool for the job is best. but not always available. especially when its one or two guys, not an entire truck. through technique, you can do more with less.

most guys try to do more with less without learning how to do it.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    How do you get that big red toolbox down into a ditch to a wreck or into the interior of a industrial building? And I have pried doors with the Shrike and it works because it is designed to do so, not to just hit people with.

The OP wanted to know what the best "tactical" hawk was. I have given my opinion and why.- George

- George

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The thread was asking about a hawk not a way bunch of various tools to do each individual task. A hawk is a good all around breaching and rescue tool. Never a bad thing to have in an emergency situation.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    How do you get that big red toolbox down into a ditch to a wreck or into the interior of a industrial building? And I have pried doors with the Shrike and it works because it is designed to do so, not to just hit people with.

The OP wanted to know what the best "tactical" hawk was. I have given my opinion and why.- George

- George

Agreed :thumbsup:. No doubt that the right tool for the job makes things much easier, but if say a LEO is the first person to respond to the scene of an accident, it's harder to fit a tool box inside of a duty bag than a say a hawk. One makes due with what is available to them in the event of an emergency.

I don't keep an array of tools in my vehicle, but I do have a VTAC hawk under the seat. I'm amazed how often I reach for it.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

- George
    The Tactical Hawk has been in the Fire Service in one version or another for close to 20 years or better. We used to call them Crash Axes and there are a TON of different variations of it. I am well familiar with what they can and cannot do with a wrecked car, as well what they can and cannot do inside of a building. I have used them. :popcorn:

As far as how do I take my Big Red Toolbox into a ditch to a wrecked car, we have and do if it is required. I have yet to see a Tactical Hawk that will peel open a wrecked car. Maybe it can in some of the lower speed collisions seen by City Departments. And as far as inside of an Industrial Building, I'll take an Axe and a Hooligan Bar any day over any of the Tactical Hawks I have seen or used. The Truck is going to be there before I go into any building on fire. So as I am putting on my SCBA, I'll take the 2 extra seconds and grab a better tool(s) than a "Tactical" Hawk.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    your illustrating the point he is making: less tools for more jobs. usually the right tool for the job is best. but not always available. especially when its one or two guys, not an entire truck. through technique, you can do more with less.

most guys try to do more with less without learning how to do it.
    I see it from the other side...

I think he is trying to sell snake oil to the masses. I would love to see him pry the door of a car that has been in a 50+MPH wreck with a hawk.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Who is selling snake oil? This thread is about the best tactical hawk. Let's try to keep on topic.

And as far as any edged weapons made by Spittin Weasel (Smith & Wesson) I would stay far away. The only thing they have to do with Smith & Wesson is the name stamped on them.

Like I said, most of the hawks out there are great for killing zombies, as great as a roofing hammer anyway, and least a roofing hammer has another legitimate use.

Just like with everything else, get educated, get trained, then go shopping. Skills, not gear= ability.- George

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Not to interupt but what is the thread about? oh ya "Best Tactical hawk" well I Think The best tactical hawk is a freaking blackhawk helo it will turn even magic red trucks of wonder into smoldering craters, but I think the thread is about tactical tomahawks. If you want to play rock paper scissors about apples to oranges sure a fire truck is cool but that has nothing to do with the thread. Oh and I like RMJ tomahawks and think some fireman needs to quit sucking big red toolbox fumes and stay on topic :)

Last edited:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Maybe so

I have used the newest one made by S&W to cut down a Pine tree I had in the yard. The trunk was about 8 inches across. No I haven't used it to cut into a car or anything like that but it is thick enough and comfortable enough that it serves its purpose. And yes I know that it isn't made by Smith just has their name on it.

I must prefer my old Hand Forged Hawk that I have had for almost 30 years now. The only thing I have to do with it is replace the handle once in awhile and sharpen it. It just keeps on going and going.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    :hijack: I too thought this thread was about tactical hawks. I guess George is full of ****, and I need to buy a fire truck.
    Do I think George is full of ****, no more than I am.

Do I think you guys are to fixated on the word Tactical, yes.
    Can a Tomahawk do lots of things, yes they can.

Can they pry car doors open on wrecked cars, not so much.
    Why would you need to, and why would you want to use a Tomahawk to do that with?!

Don't get me wrong I have several 'Hawks, one in every Vehicle and a couple laying around. I use them often for all manner of tasks. I also have 2-6' tanker bars in the toolboxes of the pickups as well, for when I need to pry something, I remember in school someone old said something about a fulcrum point and a long lever and moving something big.

Top Bottom