• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have developed a taste for Old Forester 100 proof.......Good bourbon for the money......

oldforeseter-signature100.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Has anyone tried backbone bourbon?

I've not tried the regular version but I had a bottle of backbone uncut, basically barrel proof. It was pretty tasty, but hot!! I liked it better with ice, probably because it diluted it a bit.

Now that you have me thinking about it, I think I still have a little left. Might have to try it out again tonight :)

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Busted into the Old Forester 115proof Prohibition Style bourbon. Not bad, not a favorite. The more I sip on it the more I'm reminded of Rowan's Creek......but it's been since last June since I had Rowan's so I may be off

Regular price is $59 or $69 I think....got it on sale for $45....so still counts

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I was pretty fond of it when it first came to market but they've priced themselves beyond their value for me.

I haven't bought it for a while, but how much do they want for it now?

side note: I found my bottle of backbone uncut last night :) along with a bottle of blanton's I forgot about :) :)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I haven't bought it for a while, but how much do they want for it now?

I don't recall but it's more than I'm willing to pay. Perhaps I'm fooling myself but I still prefer to buy bourbons which are created start to finish at a particular distillery with a name I'm familiar with, I'll pay a premium for them as I believe they're still being made the old fashioned way. That's not to say others aren't good, there are several I like which don't fall in to this category but I'm not willing to pay the same money as I would for something coming out of Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey or Jim Beam.

There's a lot of bourbons out there which get their start in Lawrenceburg, IN. Some are really good but I don't see them holding the same value.

Product Info | Backbone Bourbon

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Busted into the Old Forester 115proof Prohibition Style bourbon. Not bad, not a favorite. The more I sip on it the more I'm reminded of Rowan's Creek......but it's been since last June since I had Rowan's so I may be off

Regular price is $59 or $69 I think....got it on sale for $45....so still counts

Other than the Birthday Bourbon from Old Forester, I'd have to say that Prohibition Style is my favorite. They did have a flask size 75th Anniversary bourbon that was also very good, I think it was released for the repeal of prohibition? But I suppose the reason they make so many different types is because there are so many different consumers with different tastes.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't recall but it's more than I'm willing to pay. Perhaps I'm fooling myself but I still prefer to buy bourbons which are created start to finish at a particular distillery with a name I'm familiar with, I'll pay a premium for them as I believe they're still being made the old fashioned way. That's not to say others aren't good, there are several I like which don't fall in to this category but I'm not willing to pay the same money as I would for something coming out of Heaven Hill, Buffalo Trace, Wild Turkey or Jim Beam.

There's a lot of bourbons out there which get their start in Lawrenceburg, IN. Some are really good but I don't see them holding the same value.

Product Info | Backbone Bourbon

understood and agreed!!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A customer came in and asked me to do a transfer....I asked what they had been up to?

"Bourbon shopping over in Louisville..."

"Man...I am about out of Weller's Reserve...I haven't been able to find any in a month..."

He smiled and said, "I'll be right back.."

Came in and handed me a bottle of 1.75 and said, "Give me twenty dollars and do my transfer..."

I nearly wept....

IMG_5495.JPG

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    A customer came in and asked me to do a transfer....I asked what they had been up to?

"Bourbon shopping over in Louisville..."

"Man...I am about out of Weller's Reserve...I haven't been able to find any in a month..."

He smiled and said, "I'll be right back.."

Came in and handed me a bottle of 1.75 and said, "Give me twenty dollars and do my transfer..."

I nearly wept....

Sweet Lord....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sweet Lord....

These two have got the liquor delivery times down for Louisville...I swear I could not tell who was more pleased, them or me.....Aaron was like, "Damn Rick, that's your classic S&W just came in the shop gungasm face..."

"Yeah...You boys made my day..."

I had been sipping on the bottle I got right before Christmas....After a small tumbler of Weller's I would follow up with an Evan Williams....Needless to say last nights watching Deadwood there was no rationing of Weller's....The Evan Williams sat in the cabinet like a wallflower at a high school dance...

:)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    These two have got the liquor delivery times down for Louisville...I swear I could not tell who was more pleased, them or me.....Aaron was like, "Damn Rick, that's your classic S&W just came in the shop gungasm face..."

"Yeah...You boys made my day..."

I had been sipping on the bottle I got right before Christmas....After a small tumbler of Weller's I would follow up with an Evan Williams....Needless to say last nights watching Deadwood there was no rationing of Weller's....The Evan Williams sat in the cabinet like a wallflower at a high school dance...

:)
    I think we talked about it before, but in case we didn't, you need to do the Evan Williams tour over on Main St, it's a very nice presentation, followed by an even nicer tasting!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Sipping on some Yellow Rose Straight Rye Whiskey. While not technically a bourbon it is quite tasty. This is coming out of Texas and runs in the mid $30 range. Very nice neat with a great mouth and no burn on the back side. Small amount of spiciness but not anywhere as much as I have seen in other examples I have tried. Highly recommend this one if you like rye.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Couple weeks ago I had some Weller 12 for the first time and........I was extremely let down. I doubt the bottle had been sitting open very long (it was at a bourbon specialized bar). Didn't have a long finish, no bite or warmth, and no discernible flavor.

After that had some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (a 139 proof I think) and it was like what bourbon should be, lots of flavor, long finish, and even being high proof was very smooth. Just plain delicious.

Same night at a different bar had a double of George T Stagg (I forget the batch) for $25 which was a damn steal........especially since the Thomas Handy was $75 a glass :n00b:

Busted open a 1792 Full Proof Single Barrel Store pick and it's okay....definitely not a favorite but not bad either. It's good but was expecting more/better

Top Bottom