Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Elijah Craig
    Ridgemont Reserve 1792
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Larceney
    Four Roses Small Batch (or Single Barrel)

All good choices as well.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cygnus,

Two newer bourbons, each from there own distillery, not sourced (not that there is anything wrong with that), easily found under $50, one rye based and one wheat based, both are smooooooth and delicious any way you pour them:

Jim Beam Signature Craft 12 year old
    Larceny from Heaven Hill (Makers 46 is a close 2nd)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Larceny is a pretty nice bourbon.

Its a "wheated" bourbon, made with corn & wheat instead of the more traditional corn & rye. Maker's Mark bourbons are also "wheated" bourbons, as is top rated Pappy Van Winkle.

Elijah Craig
    Ridgemont Reserve 1792
    Evan Williams Single Barrel
    Larceney
    Four Roses Small Batch (or Single Barrel)

All good choices as well.
    I'm not a big fan of the Evan Williams Single Barrel, it is too "hot" for me to drink straight. On ice its pretty good stuff.

The Ridgemont Reserve 1792 is pretty good, fairly easy to drink, but its just not as good as many of the others that are available.

Four Roses makes some good stuff.

Elijah Craig is good stuff too.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Got a little bit of WOODFORD RESERVE and its time to take a break from preparations for tomorrow's dinner so I decided to pour and once into a glass and compare it to the BIB & TUCKER.

The color of both of these is virtually the same, a light amber.

Let's just say, based on taste, there is no comparison. Now I've said before that I'm really not a fan of the WOODFORD RESERVE bourbon, its too spicy and burns too much. Just a "hot" bourbon overall. But I'm trying to be objective with my comparisons. So I take a sip of the WOODFORD RESERVE and it is just as I remember it. HOT, SPICY and, in my personal opinion, somewhat harsh to drink, especially neat. A second sip . . . repeat of the first sip. Mouth is tingling, peppery spices predominate, plenty of burn, which unfortunately lingers for a bit too long.

A sip of water to calm the burn and to clear the palate.

By contrast the BIB & TUCKER is sweet to the tongue, has a bit of peppery end in the back of the mouth, and finishes with some warmth in the belly but not a really hot burn. Its smooth, but has pleasant flavors that transition. Its easy to drink. It tastes good.

I have confirmed, again and again, that I am not a fan of the WOODFORD RESERVE. I know its very popular and that many people like it. I don't. That is just my taste. I've kept it for guests, but honestly when this bottle is finally gone (another 2 or 3 ounces) I doubt that I will replace it.

For this test the clear winner is BIB & TUCKER because, as I stated from the onset, there really is no comparison between these 2 brands, both of which are under $50/bottle.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Had 16 people over at the house for a Thanksgiving dinner/party.

Finished off the last of the WOODFORD RESERVE as a mixer making Manhattens. Its a good 'mixer' grade bourbon, but even the Manhattens were a bit hot. But its gone, and good riddence too.

Finished up the party with somem short glasses of JEFFERSON'S OCEAN, neat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Last night was a quite night at the house, relaxing after spending the middle part of the day in Chicago seeing the Christmas musical production of THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS with the family. We had great seats, about 8 rows back from the orchestra pit and nearly dead center of the stage.

Poured about 1.5 ounces of "OYO Bourbon Whiskey Michelone Reserve" and dropped a single ice cube in the glass.

I've had OYO before, didn't like it neat, but liked it plenty with a cube melting in the glass so I went right to the ice tray and picked out a smaller cube to drop in the glass.

The OYO Bourbon is generally priced just a few dollars over $50 per bottle, sometimes can be found on sale for just under $50.

The single cube really tamed the harshness of the OYO Bourbon down into a very pleasant drink. The characteristics of wheated bourbons really now shines, this becomes a very smooth drink, with just a hint of alcohol tingle finish in the mouth, and a bit of warmth in the belly but no longer is there a burning fire that rivals an old fashioned pot belly stove. The flavors really sharpen up but don't become harsh; can something be both smooth but sharp? Mellow but with disctinct traces of spice? This one seems to do it.

Honestly, as stated earlier, I really do NOT like OYO Bourbon straight up. Its can be a mean drink when you try it neat. But mellow it out with a bit of ice or water and all of a sudden this becomes a very nice well balanced bourbon that is intersting to the tongue, no longer harsh, but still offers some body. Ice not only saves this bourbon from the trash heap, it redeems it and makes it a VERY GOOD, perhaps not great, bourbon.

For those interested in Indiana bourbons, this one might qualify. It is produced by MIDDLE WEST SPIRITS out of Ohio. Its a blend of their Wheat Whiskey and bourbon, but they don't seem to actually produce bourbon, so it is believed by me that their bourbon comes from MGP in Lawerenceburg, IN, then blending into the OYO Wheat Whiskey. This makes for a bouron that is a 4 grain bourbon containing CORN, WHEAT, RYE and 2 ROW BARLEY.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Last night was the last evening our daughter was home for Thanksgiving break. We decided to stay home, eat dinner in the living room and watch a movie. I pulled a bottle of FOUR ROSES SINGLE BARREL out of the cabinet and poured 2 ounces and dropped in a single, fairly large, ice cube. This is a fairly "hot" bourbon with plenty of tingle and a long lingering burn, but a nice flavor.

To the nose, the FOUR ROSES hits you with a bit of sweetness and maybe some honey and only subtle undertones of alcohol actually are sensed by your snout. There is something else in there, not sure what I pick up, but its a really pleasant bourbon aroma.

I let the cube of ice melt down almost completely, the drink was now cool with only a small amount of ice remaining. Taking a sip into my mouth and there is still tingle in the mouth but its not overly objectionable, the burn in the belly was reduced to a modest simmer that stays with you but it doesn't burn on the way down. While the mouth tingle is mostly gone, its still lingers in your gut for quite a long time, in fact too long. Unlike some other bourbons where the flavors become sharper with a little bit of water this bourbon this one retains its nice mellow semi-sweet flavor with its hint of honey.

FOUR ROSES SINGLE BARREL has got a mellow flavor but its also got plenty of heat to it with all that lingering tingle on the lips and that burn in the belly that continues to simmer away. Its got a very long finish that I do not enjoy, if the burn in the belly was shorter, if the tingle on the lips waned faster . . . I'm not one to enjoy the burn that FOUR ROSES SINGLE BARREL delivers but I do enjoy the flavor.

I really think this bourbon should be reserved as a "mixer" because its going to stand up to flavors that are added to make the mixed drink of your choice. Might be one of the better choices for an Old Fashioned or Manhatten because of its stout body, and because it will stand up to the ice cubes that are typically added to many mixed drinks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Finally getting some time to try out the Woodford Reserve MASTERS COLLECTION Sonoma Cutrer bourbon. Roughly $100. I sampled it previously but really just shot. So tonight will be the real test as I have some time to sip and consider.

imagejpg1_zps9dd851eb.jpg

First off this has a reddish brown color to it and when you get your nose anywhere near the glass you pick up very strong scents of vanilla, it is perhaps the best smelling bourbon on the planet. Rich, sweet vanilla.

In the mouth you also pick up some of the vanilla, there is a modest bit of mouth tingle and a bit of burn, but the burn is overshadowed by a long flavor finish that lasts. This has many characteristics of traditional bourbons, specially the traditional Woodford Reserve, but the second aging in the wine barrels adds a lot of character to this drink. I suspect that this is second aged for an extended period.

Many bourbons that are second aged only pick up hints of other flavors and are typically second aged for a few short months. Now I have no clue how long they second age this in the wine casks, but it certainly picks up a lot of flavor and complexity. Some may not like the bold flavors of this bourbon but I tend to like bold flavors, and this bourbon has plenty of flavor to spare. It also has a nice rich mouth feel, its not watery or thin, but rather it coats the mouth. The flavors are full and rather sharp, while you smell plenty of vanilla, you don't taste a lot of vanilla, at least not up front. After the drink is down your throat you will still pick up some flavors on your pallate and one of those will be the vanilla, but you also taste some butterscotch, and some spices like a spicy root beer.

I suspect that this bourbon is going to divide people. Love it or hate it. I personally hate the regular line of Woodford Reserve. But this bourbon from their MASTERS COLLECTION is something that I like.

And I like it plenty fine straight. But for the consistency in testing I am going to drop a small ice cube into my glass now that I have sipped down about 1 ounce of the 2 ounces that I poured. So I picked out a small cube, dropped it in and let it melt down about 1/2 of the way. Swirled my glass around to incorporate the water and the bourbon and the beautiful vanilla scent remains. Right away I noticed the change in the flavor, its certainly sharper, and also seems much weaker in flavor and thinner in mouth feel. I pulled out the remainder of the ice. I personally wouldn't recommend this fine bourbon on ice. I would say if you like it you will really enjoy it straight up, but there is no point in watering it down. Ice doesn't add to this drink.

Do I like it? Yes I do. Woodford Reserve MASTERS COLLECTION Sonoma Cutrer is a very different bourbon, and I think a very nice one, if you like different.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I suspect that this bourbon is going to divide people. Love it or hate it. I personally hate the regular line of Woodford Reserve. But this bourbon from their MASTERS COLLECTION is something that I like.

Do I like it? Yes I do. Woodford Reserve MASTERS COLLECTION Sonoma Cutrer is a very different bourbon, and I think a very nice one, if you like different.

sweet! I've been waiting for this review. :) Glad to hear how it turned out as well. Thanks!

Just so you are forewarned, this has strong flavors that are nothing like you will taste in Makers Mark, Jim Beam, etc etc etc

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Stopped off at the local liquor purveyor tonight on my way home from the fencing club looking for the new fall 2014 release of Jefferson's OCEAN. Still not there yet. But he had a set of RYE WHISKEY that I picked up. Not cheap. Not outrageous either. These are 1/2 bottles, BTW, not full 750ml but rather only 375ml bottles. It is NOT bourbon. Bourbon has to have at least 51% corn in the mash, this stuff may not have any corn? Don't know, it doesn't say. But its got plenty of rye.

imagejpg1_zpsd8262472.jpg

Broke open the "NEW CASK" tonight for a sip, poured just 1 ounce into a juice glass. No ice. Not one of my regular taste tests. Just wanted to sip a bit to see what this stuff is. What I found out was that it is a very spicy rye. Very spicy but not a whiskey that has a harsh taste or a harsh burn. In fact the burn is more of a warming glow. The peppery spice, however, tingles in your mouth long after the warmth in your belly is calmed.

This is an interesting drink. Not something I'd go to for a soothing drink, the rye's spicy character is a little too intense for that. If you like peppery drinks this might be a great choice for you. I don't dislike it. I like it. Don't love it. I'm looking forward to trying a real taste test of it, probably with the aged cask as a comparison.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Enjoyng some WIDOW JANE bourbon tonight. Really like this juice. I know its an NDP with, apparently local mineral water from the Widow Jane mine in NY state added to bring it down to selling proof. I have no problem with NDP bourbons, although I would prefer that the sellers be honest about it on their label, as per the law. But all that aside, Widow Jane is a wonderful bourbon to drink, neat. Sweet followed by some spice and a bit of heat. Very drinkable. Only available by mail order here, but my lovely wife got a bottle for me a couple months ago. Fine woman is she. I will be sad when this bottle is gone.

Also got a phone call from my friendly liquor purveyor. They got their delivery of JEFFERSON'S OCEAN. 1 case of 6 bottles. He is holding a bottle for me. He said he sold 3 bottles already, had a couple other people on the "call list" waiting for it to arrive. So I'm guessing it is all sold out?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Been waiting and waiting but my ship finally came in. I got my bottle of Jefferson's OCEAN Voyage 3 today. Only 6 bottles were allocated to my county and I got 1 of them. I still have some of my bottle of the 2nd voyage so I'll be able to compare these two rare bourbons. Its the only bourbon that is actually aged while on a ship that crosses the equator (4 times) subjecting the barrels to changes in waves, temperature and humidity to give this stuff a very unique character. I'm thinking I'll crack this open on Saturday evening after the JV Team fencing tournament.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! I just called my local store and they have 3 bottles in the case! One of them now has my name on it :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sipping on some of the WL WELLER Special Reserve tonight. Poured about an ounce and a half into a short glass to give it a try.

WL WELLER Special Reserve is a 90 Proof "wheated" bourbon, meaning it is mostly corn with the second ingredient being wheat instead of the usual rye.

It smells beautifually sweet with some vanilla and carmel tones. When it hits your mouth you pick up a real nice sweetness but that is followed by some alcohol tingle on your lips and then you get a good bit of burn in the belly, more burn than you want. But you come back for more because it tastes so good in your mouth before the burn. I didn't have an ice cube to tame it down any but there was a bottle of water next to me so I added a few drops. My biggest concern was that I would water down the wonderful flavor trying to tame the burn.

After adding the water I brought the glass up to my nose and noticed that some of the sweetness/caramel scents were reduced so I feared that maybe I'd ruined it trying to tame the heat. The water seemed to really help this bourbon! The heat was all but gone. The bourbon to water ratio was probably 12:1, so not too much water. There was still the wonderful mouth coating sweetness, there was still SOME of the alcohol tingle on the lips, but the majority of the burn was eliminated, with only a bit of warmth remaining. For about $23 a bottle this stuff is a massive bargain, so much so that I think it should replace Makers Mark as my top pick in the low priced category of "everyday" bourbons. The ONLY reason it simply cannot replace Makers Mark is that the WL WELLER Special Reserve is not widely distributed and typically not available year around. But as much as I like Makers Mark, this stuff is better juice and if you find it you need to buy it. But buy 2 because if you find it today it will likely be gone next week.

Good stuff this is. Very. Very good stuff.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Sipping on some of the WL WELLER Special Reserve tonight. Poured about an ounce and a half into a short glass to give it a try.

WL WELLER Special Reserve is a 90 Proof "wheated" bourbon, meaning it is mostly corn with the second ingredient being wheat instead of the usual rye.

It smells beautifually sweet with some vanilla and carmel tones. When it hits your mouth you pick up a real nice sweetness but that is followed by some alcohol tingle on your lips and then you get a good bit of burn in the belly, more burn than you want. But you come back for more because it tastes so good in your mouth before the burn. I didn't have an ice cube to tame it down any but there was a bottle of water next to me so I added a few drops. My biggest concern was that I would water down the wonderful flavor trying to tame the burn.

After adding the water I brought the glass up to my nose and noticed that some of the sweetness/caramel scents were reduced so I feared that maybe I'd ruined it trying to tame the heat. The water seemed to really help this bourbon! The heat was all but gone. The bourbon to water ratio was probably 12:1, so not too much water. There was still the wonderful mouth coating sweetness, there was still SOME of the alcohol tingle on the lips, but the majority of the burn was eliminated, with only a bit of warmth remaining. For about $23 a bottle this stuff is a massive bargain, so much so that I think it should replace Makers Mark as my top pick in the low priced category of "everyday" bourbons. The ONLY reason it simply cannot replace Makers Mark is that the WL WELLER Special Reserve is not widely distributed and typically not available year around. But as much as I like Makers Mark, this stuff is better juice and if you find it you need to buy it. But buy 2 because if you find it today it will likely be gone next week.

Good stuff this is. Very. Very good stuff.

WHERE did you find Weller ??? Last place in Indy had it for $124 / bottle

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I found it at a chain liquor store in Merrillville (Lake County).

I plan to go back tomorrow to see if they still have it on the shelf, if they do I'm going to grab another bottle.

imagejpg1_zps32fdf111.jpg

I have to go over to IL this week, but make it worth the trip my Wife gave me the address of a place that claims to stock a good selection & have weller.. If I don't get lucky there I might see if she is up to a road trip up north...

Top Bottom