• ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    $9.99 on sale at CVS Pharmacy.

Its a super easy to drink bourbon. Enjoyable cold, at room temperature or (and this is my favorite way) warmed up in the microwave for a few moments.

Its only available in the fall season. There is a similar product from Jack Daniels that will be back on the store shelves, it comes in a bottle over wrapped with a white label and I think its called Tennessee Winter Cider or something similar to that, the Evan Williams is a bit smoother/sweeter. So if you like smoother/sweeter then pick Evans. If you like a bit more whiskey flavor pick the JD.

IMG_4325_zps7a94aaff.jpg
    WOW this stuff is gooooooooood. The wife and I killed this bottle last night. As for the way we liked I would say refrigerated first then 2oz warmed up in the microwave for 20 seconds and last at room temperature.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Went down to Bear Wallow Distillery in Brown County earlier today. Since they are new you can only buy the "moonshine version." Tried the 80 proof, the rye, and the 120 proof bourbon version. All of them were excellent and my only complaint was that I couldn't buy it on Sunday. Can't wait until they get some aged and ready to go!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Looking to try some of the new BIB & TUCKER bourbon that aclark was telling me about.

It's a California bourbon, aged 6 years, but I can only find info about the distiller going back 3 or maybe 4 years. I may need to do more searching but this may be another rebottled brand that comes from Lawrenceburg, IN? Or another distiller?

It's supposed to be good, no matter where it comes from, and that is the whole point. I just like to know.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Well i can find history of the distillery seems to go back to 2011 but the offer a 6 yr old bourbon and a 10 yr old whiskey.

Now I'm even more curious who the real distiller might be. They are a division of a winery that has been around for a while and the family has been in the wine biz for about 100 years. Maybe they distilled it at the winery and sold it to themselves? They appear to be distilling their own non-aged spirits, I just don't see how they could have legally distilled their own aged spirits.

Still, I'm a fan of good bourbon, no matter who makes it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sipping on the WIDOW JANE tonight after coming home from the fencing club. My bottle is from barrel 92, bottle 172 of 2013. It is 91 proof. Each bottle is individually remarked with the information specific to the bottle, batch, year and proof. FWIW, its aged 7 years.

Widow Jane is a dark caramel color, somewhat darker than many other bourbons of a similar age range, so I suspect the barrels are charred to a darker char.

Poured about an ounce and a half into a glass and tried it neat. Its got a nice sweet taste up front with some spice on the back end and a nice finish. Its got a mild burn, not an intense one, when it hits your belly. You notice it, it is more than a warming feeling. But its not too objectionable. I will admit that I burnt the roof of my mouth on some deep fried Chinese food, consequently the alcohol content hurt the roof of my mouth a bit and that may be altering some of my taste buds in this review too! Still, I enjoyed the flavor straight.

Dropping in a single cube of ice and letting it melt down a bit I noticed the spices at the back of my mouth really sharpen up a lot but the burn in the belly was virtually eliminated. It was still sweet up front.

This is a nice bourbon, despite my burnt mouth. Poured another half-ounce into the glass, added a bit of the water from a melted ice cube, and enjoyed it again. I think I like this bourbon with a bit of water more than I like it neat. Its got some nice rye spice to it and some great complex flavors. I suspect its the mineral water that makes this just different enough to put this into my "favorites" list. Honestly I think the Garrison Brothers may be a bit better, but this is very very good. Not available in Indiana, its a mail order item here, but worthy of consideration if you find it. I won't rate it up with the Jefferson Ocean. I will even say that the Jefferson Reserve is a better value, given that it costs less and and is just as good. Bookers is probably better. Col E.H.Taylor Single Barrel is on par with this. All of these that I've named are, sadly, over $50.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    So tonight after fencing practice I poured a short glass of BARTERHOUSE bourbon.

It has a wonderful sweet and spicy aroma and it hits your tongue and tastes so good, but then it goes down and it BURNS. Like water on the wicked witch of the West it BURNS. Not what I like in a bourbon. Not at all. Its got some spice to it, which is not at all objectionable, but rather is interesting. Its got some sweetness to it, again, adding a layer of complexity and keeping things interesting. If you spit it out at this point it would be wonderful. But you swallow bourbon, you don't spit it out.

So I added an ice cube let it melt down. That fixed it. NOT! It still has an objectionable burn. But on the plus side, its still wonderfully sweet and spicy and has a great flavors in the mouth. Sadly it burns. Its a 90.2 Proof bourbon, I've had plenty of others with significantly more alcohol that had far less heat to them. So the alcohol level is not to blame. I've had spicier bourbon that had less burn. I even tried to let it air out a bit. Then I put in another ice cube, so it was now about 1/2 frozen water and 1/2 bourbon. Stuck my nose in the glass and boy does this smell wonderful. Certainly the burn must be tamed by now? Right? Ahhh, finally the burn is tamed down. Sadly some of the sweetness is watered down and some of the spice is mellowed too. But the aroma remains to remind you of this brand's potential.

Is this bad? NO. Is this as good as it should be? NO. Am I glad I have it in my cabinet? YES. I'll try it again some other day and see if it burns as bad the next time.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I found this write up on the BourbonBlog about the Wild Turkey Diamond if you are interested => Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary Bourbon | BourbonBlog

Oh, and I'm happy to report that I paid slightly less than the MSRP of $124.95 for my bottle.

I'm looking for a couple other bottles. The 2014 edition of JEFFERSON'S OCEAN has not yet come to my local shop. I'm also trying to find a bottle of WOODFORD RESERVE "Masters Collection" Boubon that is aged in Wine Barrels.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Just starting to get my bourbon tastes back after a protracted vodka phase. So far, have been through a bottle of Bulleit, Knob Creek, and tonight am enjoying a glass of Ridgemont Reserve. Had a nice glass of Angel's Envy at St. Elmo's the other night and I was going to buy a bottle tonight, but it's a bit out of my price range.

Last edited:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    excellent.

well, if you ever see it around, let me know. I probably need to check a couple local stores next time I get into town.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    excellent.

well, if you ever see it around, let me know. I probably need to check a couple local stores next time I get into town.

I only know of 1 store in my county that is allocated any of the OCEAN. You will need find a store in your area that sells a lot of Jefferson's, if they sell enough then they will be allocated a half dozen bottles for the year.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    imagejpg1_zps5147f911.jpg

It is probably 5 o'clock somewhere but it was only a bit after 11am here when we did a bit of a taste test at the cigar lounge. And a mighty good taste test it was. 4 of us were sipping. 2 of us are INGO members.

Texas made Garrison Brothers first batch (spring '14) was rated the #1 of the 4 of these we had. Bib & Tucker, a brand new Kentucky brand, was also rated very high, just behind the first batch of the Garrison Brothers. The 2nd batch of Garrison Brothers (fall '14) was very different from the first batch, sharper and a totally different flavor profile. It was ranked 3rd. Then there was the Michigan offering from Journeyman's and it was so far below the other 3 brands that it was not even in the same league. Sort of like comparing Pee-Wee football to the NFL. Journeyman's is just that bad in comparison, and it was not just my opinion it was the collective opinion of the group that there was simply no comparison between our bottom ranking of the Journeyman's and the other 3 offerings.

My first choice was the first batch Garrison. Garrison is a boutique brand from Texas, price is about $75-$80 per bottle, and they are sayingn that each will be different from other brands. There was a big difference between the Garrison #1 and the Garrison #2. Taste profiles were different, spice profiles were different.

Bib & Tucker, priced about $50-$55 per bottle, is a new brand being introduced and its a milder flavor, milder spice, very easy to drink, and very very good.

Top Bottom