• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I tried to find some Weller 12 year a while back and never could get it done. I need to look again. I think I saw some at the store as i was glancing around before I picked up my bottle of Ocean.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I tried to find some Weller 12 year a while back and never could get it done. I need to look again. I think I saw some at the store as i was glancing around before I picked up my bottle of Ocean.

There are 3 different "commonly" available variants of Weller. Each are different. I've never had the Weller 12. Its another I'd love to try. The Weller I was able to find is the WL Weller Special Reserve.

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    WHERE did you find Weller ??? Last place in Indy had it for $124 / bottle

Weller Special Reserve is not expensive. You can find it in Indy for $20 a bottle. Special Reserve is one of my everyday pours. I also recommend the Weller Antique 107 (when you can find it). It found one last weekend for $30. A107 is also a wheated bourbon at 107 proof. IMHO, it has better mouth feel than SR. Good stuff.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I love Blanton's. It's still at the top of my list. It was hard to find there for a while and now it seems to be everywhere again.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What do you guys think of Blanton's? It's right at or above the $50 mark, but that stuff just warms my soul.

I am not a fan of Blantons.

Not a fan of Woodford Reserve either.

Can't stand Four Roses.

Then again, I am clearly in the minority on those as all 3 are very popular with large followings. The only really good bourbon is the one YOU like.

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    I am not a fan of Blantons.

Not a fan of Woodford Reserve either.

Can't stand Four Roses.

Then again, I am clearly in the minority on those as all 3 are very popular with large followings. The only really good bourbon is the one YOU like.

True that! Everybody's got a favorite. I guess what I look for most in any drink is that it evokes a fond memory... mentally transports me somewhere pleasant. For me, Blanton's puts me right in the middle of a local pipe tobacco shop with my dad when I was a little kid.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    UMBXyvH.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Fenway, no offence, but I honestly can't understand how/why people can drink Four Roses Single Barrel.

I suppose in a mixed drink it would be fine, but there are plenty of lower priced bourbons that will do that task just as well, and some are much better when sipped neat, or with a few drops of water. But my local liquor purveyor was trying to sell me some limited edition Four Roses, he poured a tiny bit for himself and for me. I said 'wait for the burn' before he brought the glass to his lips. He sipped it, about 3 seconds later his face contorted and the burn hit him hard. That is when I said "and that is why I don't buy Four Roses."

Simply the taste is unremarkable, the burn is unpleasant.

Any report on ocean 3 yet? Still considering picking up a bottle...

I have a short glass of each of the OCEAN Voyage 2 and the Voyage 3 sitting next to me know. Voyage 2 has very little heat, what there is at the bottom lingers for a bit. Voyage 3 has a short burn after it goes down, doesn't last long, and is not objectionable. Voyage 3 is a bit spicer up front too, but still has a nice little hint of salt brine. It makes for an interesting combination, spice & salt.

Honestly I like Voyage 2 better than Voyage 3, but Voyage 3 is very good indeed.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I'm not a fan of 4 roses myself. Just never cared for it. But, I do like Woodford and Blantons.

and I wouldn't wait on picking up that bottle of Voyage 3 ;)

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    None taken. The burn doesn't bother me and I prefer it neat. I tried Makers 47 on recommendation here and I prefer the 4 roses. I don't like this Buffalo Trace but it's cheap. I've been enjoying this thread. Any suggestions based on not caring for the 47 but tolerating 4 Roes :)

Fenway, no offence, but I honestly can't understand how/why people can drink Four Roses Single Barrel.

I suppose in a mixed drink it would be fine, but there are plenty of lower priced bourbons that will do that task just as well, and some are much better when sipped neat, or with a few drops of water. But my local liquor purveyor was trying to sell me some limited edition Four Roses, he poured a tiny bit for himself and for me. I said 'wait for the burn' before he brought the glass to his lips. He sipped it, about 3 seconds later his face contorted and the burn hit him hard. That is when I said "and that is why I don't buy Four Roses."

Simply the taste is unremarkable, the burn is unpleasant.

I have a short glass of each of the OCEAN Voyage 2 and the Voyage 3 sitting next to me know. Voyage 2 has very little heat, what there is at the bottom lingers for a bit. Voyage 3 has a short burn after it goes down, doesn't last long, and is not objectionable. Voyage 3 is a bit spicer up front too, but still has a nice little hint of salt brine. It makes for an interesting combination, spice & salt.

Honestly I like Voyage 2 better than Voyage 3, but Voyage 3 is very good indeed.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Fenway, agreed about Buffalo Trace. Its cheap, its OK, but Makers Mark is better, INHO. Have you tried the Elijah Craig 12. Also fairly inexpensive, nice and smooth. If its bold flavors you like then try the BOOKERS, but realize its a 'cask strength' bourbon.

I'm not a fan of 4 roses myself. Just never cared for it. But, I do like Woodford and Blantons.

and I wouldn't wait on picking up that bottle of Voyage 3 ;)
    Agreed, I wouldn't wait too long to pick up the Voyage 3.

Well it has been a long day today. This morning I spent my time with the Marian Catholic H.S. fencing team, spending some time fixing broken stuff and a good deal of time with the Saber squad. This afternoon I was with the Lowell H.S. fencing team. Both schools started Christmas break today and the kids who made practice clearly didn't have their minds on fencing.

Now there are two small glasses sitting beside me. Glass 1 has Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 2 while glass #2 has Jefferson's Ocean Voyage 3. Both neat.

Truth be told I absolutely love the Voyage 2 but while I think that juce is among the best bourbon ever produced, I don't understand why some people in the bourbon collectors groups are offer up harsh criticism of Voyage 3. Voyage 3 is very good too. It may not be as good as Voyage 2, but its still very good bourbon, even if a little bit too hot for my liking.

The flavor of Voyage 3 is very nice, the complaint I have with it is the heat tends to slightly overwhelm the flavor on the finish. I don't pick up as much brine in Voyage 3, which is a shame, its one of the things that makes Ocean unique. Honestly not upset that I bought 2 bottles of Voyage 3, only wish I had found 3 bottles of Voyage 2.

So not a full blown review, these are my thoughts. There is still some brown juice sitting next to me in those 2 glasses. Both are darn good. One is better than the other. I am glad to have both. I am sorry that neither is available year round.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Added a few drops of water to the remaining Voyage 3 . . . wow. The burn on the finish is all but gone. The taste of the salty brine is enhanced.

Just a few drops of water, a world of difference in the flavor. Add some drops of H2O and all of a sudden Voyage 3 rivals Voyage 2.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Voyage 2 was outstanding the one time I've had it. I wish I had my own bottle. Getting ready to crack open voyage 3.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Fenway try eagle rare... If you haven't tried regular makers mark you may want to consider it as its not as "harsh" as MM46.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Cracking open a bottle of 14yr old OBAN Scotch today with some friends at our Christmas day dinner. I'm not a Scotch drinker and it was my job to buy the Scotch so I walked up and down the aisle and looked for Scotches that were produced in regions and cities that I had the pleasure to visit on my trips to Scotland. Been to Oban on the shores of the Western Highlands a few times so that is the only reason I picked the OBAN Scotch. One of the guys at the cigar lounge said it is very good. Guess I'll find out later today.

Plenty of various bourbons to drink if the Scotch is bad. Merry Christmas to all :ingo:

Top Bottom