• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I would suggest a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm. I have carried one every day for 8 months now. Never once expirienced a malfuction of any kind. I actually own two. I paid $430 for the first one and last night bought a second one for $410. (Those are out the door prices). I have seen them online for as low as $359 although I didnt look into the shipping details, plus that would require an FFL transfer. For 410 I'd rather just buy it at my LGS. $359 plus shipping and transfer fees and you'll hit $410 anyhow. By far the BEST $400 dollar pistol I have ever owned!

+1 on the S&W Shield. I see you are in Seymour, stop by Acme and look around.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    For sub $400, this. I've actually fondled one that had the Apex kit installed and it's perfectly serviceable. For under $375 with tax and kit, you can buy some defensive ammo and have a good piece of weapon. Maybe not the best on the planet, but for the price range, who are you kidding?

As for the used Glock crowd, yes and no. Some of the people locally are thinking their third gens are gold lately and haven't received the message about the panic being over. The Fourth gen crowd is out of their mind. Summit Gunbroker online has used police trade in G22s for uber cheap ($15 shipping, go to a solid place with a $20 or under FFL and you have a lightly used, night sighted G22 for under 4 bills). Not concealable enough? Get a hacksaw, files and a G23 magazine and get cutting.

Or if you want something with a little more oomph find the 40 cal SD, I think that will be my next attempt at trying .40.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Don't over look Bersa. If open carrying you can probably find a full size .45 for right around $400. They are built real solid, and pretty darned reliable.

If hiking in wilderness I would second the suggestion for a minimum of .357 revolver or .44 mag to keep 4 legged critters away.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    I would look into a police trade in M&P or Glock. I would try and hold either one and see what fits you best. AIM surplus right now has some police trade in M&P 40's for less than $400.

MacEoghan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Franklin
    I'd recommend the s&w m&p shield. Usually around 450 brand new, might be hard to find one in stock though. If you are ok with used, you can get one in your budget. I have one and I'm a fan of this gun!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Canik has some great values. Based on proven design and made very well.

If we leave this in the realm of new handguns at realistic street price, then your winner is the Canik/Tri-star series of pistols.

if you are willing to look at used pistols there are quite a lot of excellent choices available at or under $400.

I'd carry a SIG SP2022 without hesitation, but I haven't seen a new one for under $400 in some time. Back when Slickguns had them at $269 I should have bought 10.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Looking for a personal protection handgun to carry while hiking. Open carry is fine,
    so size is not too much of an issue, I would like it to be fairly light. Revolver or semi-auto.
    Looking to spend $400. Caliber good enough for personal protection.

What are your suggestions?

SMITH AND WESSON MP40 SHIELD 40SW PISTOL

$389.99
    SMITH AND WESSON MP40 SHIELD 40SW PISTOL @ Sportsmans Outdoor Superstore:

[url]http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/115177/c/semi-auto-handguns/brand/SMITH%20AND%20WESSON

[/URL]

Last edited:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    police trade gen 3 Glock 22 40 cals can be had for $400 easy.
    I saw some at the last Indy1500 show.
    Saw Glock 23 police trades too.
    I think they were $375 with 1 mag

Glocks will be light, hi-cap, quality, easy to find holsters & mags, durable... need I go on?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I don't have a lot of handguns. I've sold off a lot more over the years than I have now. Each one I have now serves a specific purpose. That being said, $400 and under range is limiting UNLESS you're willing to go with used. Then, it's all about patience and being at the right place and the right time. Deals can be had, but not if you're not first to them and willing to buy used.

All but two of my pistols right now I bought used. I haven't paid a penny over $400 for any of them. The new ones I bought specifically for .22lr practice and training newbies. The rest are Sigs, Kahrs, Glocks, and Berettas that were all used and $400 or less. I was simply patient and when a deal came up I happened to be the first one on it. That's how it works on good deals. Gunbroker is another option and usually very competitive/hard to beat in pricing on used items. That is unless you get swindled on shipping or don't find a fair priced FFL transfer.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Depending on the location of your hikes and what critters you may run into, I recommend a revolver in .357 or .44 Magnums. I would carry this revolver in a Diamond D's Guides Choice Chest Holster. The .44 Magnum will take care of any critter you could face here in North America.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I have a thing for S&W pre-plastic semi-auto pistols. I have a bought quite a few of them recently because as the new poly ones are hitting the market, it seems that a lot of these are coming up for sale and in many cases are overlooked. Can find many in the 275-400 range on gunbroker. If you go back and read some reviews and ask for opinions, you will find that many of these were very reliable shooters. From what I understand, and don't just take my word for it, you might want to stay away from the first generation as they had a few issues. Those are the 2 digit pistols if I remember correctly, 59, 39 and so on.

I have had a 908 for a few years, somewhere in 2007, maybe a bit earlier. Good gun, nice trigger, great for carry. As I see those similar models coming up for second hand sale now, I just cannot help myself and buy them. I like to take them apart and try my hand at gunsmithing a bit here and there. Nothing major, seeing how it works mostly. Maybe polish this and so forth. Something to keep me busy etc.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    CZ P-07 ... you can thank me later ;) CZ P07 Duty 40 SW Pistol 12 Round 3.7 Barrel Black

I'd try to find one in 9mm tho, but thats just me

58053.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom