Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well...a suggestion is not a mandate. I take issue with those who mandate something then don't do it.

During this whole pandemic, I have seen multiple examples from the top of the administration down tell us they think things are a good idea but they don't do them. Half the time we are talking about risk management (when we talk about our actions), then we want absolutes when someone else says something and does something different.

"I believe masks have some effect". "I don't always wear a mask". Those things don't necessarily equate to hypocrisy.

Who hasn't said to themselves "I knew I shouldn't have done that."? Now does that make most of us question our expertise? Nope. It proves to us we were right all along.

I can tell you to maintain air pressure in your tires or one is going to blow. Does that mean if I walk outside one day and see a low tire on the car I might not try to get it to the service station?

:rolleyes:

Okay, let's go with that. I usually believe that going to visit family during a pandemic isn't a good idea because it's a great opportunity for people to spread it to other people. But dang it, just this once, I accidentally slipped up and traveled to Delaware with family. Oops. My bad.

C'mon man. Your defense of this is looking a bit contrarian.

Maybe she should publicly talk about this. Maybe tell us her secret to traveling with family during a pandemic while reducing the risk of spreading it to others.

The problem I have with it is this: Because we're so divided now, and full of rabid Karens (you should see my SIL's facebook, OMG) when health officials make guidelines like this, they're also creating a social mandate enforced by the angry mob. Not that they shouldn't give us guidelines, they should. But also they should follow them. But because it is the way it is, it divides us more when people defy their own guidelines. It makes people on one side of an issue use points to defend their side that they wouldn't use for the other.

We don't need more division. If you're a public figure and you advocate for some behavior, you better comply with your own suggestion. Is she a hypocrite? I dunno. I think if you really believe in something, you usually find a way to follow through. On the surface it sure looks like she's being hypocritical. I think you're charitably assuming the best, where you might not be so charitable with the other. And it's not that I'm assuming the worst of her. I can't assume she believes what she's saying. And if she does, it's not helping to convince people to do as she suggests. It only hurts her credibility. I think she does need to be called out for that. She should explain it. She owes an explanation better than the one she gave:

“I did not go to Delaware for the purpose of celebrating Thanksgiving”

Uh huh.

"It was just immediate family"

Uh huh. Your kids, their spouses, and their kids. So when is it a small enough gathering to be okay?

"I don't like to put a number on it. Because you know, if you say it can be 10, and it’s eight people from four different families, then that probably is not the same degree of safe as 10 people from your immediate household."

Uh, huh. So were the people you were with from your immediate household? Hmmm?

"No. But I sacrificed too. I didn't see my parents."

Oh, well that was pretty ****ing brave of you.

Look man, this sounds like someone trying to justify doing the the thing she spoke out against. This is why if you're outspoken on a thing, and then you get caught doing something that's not the thing, the only thing you can do is confess." Instead she tried to justify it with a bull**** excuse.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    He had tweeted he was Not going to sign the budget bill (this cvirus bill is attached to that bill) cause it did not have what he wanted (something vs China, the not renaming of mil bases)

You may be thinking of the DoD funding bill, which Trump has threatened to veto if it does not include several items including section 230 reform. He has until the 23rd to make the decision and both houses have said they would reconvene to attempt to override. Graham has proffered a stand alone rule 230 reform bill, but Trump would likely be out of office before it came up for a vote. The question is why not 230 reform months ago? Congress seems to lack the appetite for a fight with big tech even while it was ruthlessly censoring half of them

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Look man, this sounds like someone trying to justify doing the the thing she spoke out against. This is why if you're outspoken on a thing, and then you get caught doing something that's not the thing, the only thing you can do is confess." Instead she tried to justify it with a bull**** excuse.

You say we don't need division, and talk about how bad Karen is for flying off the handle, then you launch in a multi-paragraph tirade about how awful this woman is.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    With most viruses (virii?), that is a feature. They mutate to become more contagious (spread more easily), but in doing so, they become less deadly. The two are correlated, since the more hosts a virus kills, the fewer hosts it can use to transmit itself. I'm pretty sure that's why the normal lifecycle of a typical virus is what it is.

Just a quick follow up to this, the mutations that are part of a virus lifecycle can also render them less deadly/transmissible. There's a randomness component to it.

A pretty good semi-rigorous roundup of what is known

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/202...om-sets-alarms-its-importance-remains-unclear
    Mutant coronavirus in the United Kingdom sets off alarms, but its importance remains unclear

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You say we don't need division, and talk about how bad Karen is for flying off the handle, then you launch in a multi-paragraph tirade about how awful this woman is.
    I’m not saying we need to hang the *****. Maybe just a public flogging will set her on the straight and narrow. :laugh:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But seriously, I’m being divisive because I think she’s being a bit elitist? How should I handle that in the future?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    But seriously, I’m being divisive because I think she’s being a bit elitist? How should I handle that in the future?

Well, you're fitting in to INGO just fine, but you may want to try to work in a paragraph about evil the democrats are. ;)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

She is awful. She is embodying a class-based system of privilege - 'rules for thee but not for me because I'm important' - and hasn't the simple decency to be embarrassed when caught out

Another hypocrite who is only sorry (s)he got caught

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Some see a hypocrite, others see a human being that wanted to be with family just like everyone else.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Some see a hypocrite, others see a human being that wanted to be with family just like everyone else.

Some might see a hypocrite if he wants to give Birx slack for disobeying her own recommendations but might not be so forthcoming for the little people who might also want to be with their family

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    She is Both - everybody wins. :)

That's the thing. Everyone else wants to see their families at Thanksgiving too. I support her getting to see her family at Thanksgiving. No one should have to sneak around. But if you say everyone else should not gather for Thanksgiving, you should at least take your own advice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom