Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But Biden or but Trump isn't necessarily wrong if one is admitting both did it and approval or disapproval is equivalent.

My main objection is when one considers the action wrong but justified because the opponent did it. If A is objectively wrong than it is wrong no matter who does it.

Thats the action I have seen lacking in political discussion here on INGO. If I was sitting on the other side of the table from you and we went down the but Biden or but Trump path. One of us should ask is A wrong? If the answer is yes and we agree both did it, we should both agree party B and C where wrong to commit A.

On ingo, when one holds a minority position the guy on the other side who is on the majority changes every 10 minutes.

And when a majority opinion is contradicted by another majority member, the level of scrutiny appears to be at a different level.

This is the correct standard. If both parties agree that the thing is wrong, but one is calling out the hypocrisy of the other, then a "but 'your guy'" statement is admissible. But if it's intended as a justification, then no. Then it just descends into once a wrong has been committed by any side, it's justifiable by the other invoking the right of "but 'your guy'".

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I see this differently. For matters not covered by scripture, for you to try to say a certain action is wrong but your guy does it, I interpret as a pass if my guy does it or even a requirement that such become the new RoE

If you're saying the other side didn't give a **** when their guy did it, so stop giving a **** when my guy does it, it sounds like you're using the former to justify the latter. So my question is, why do you let the other side set the passes for your side's standards? Does your side have standards? Or are they simply whatever the other side does?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    This is the correct standard. If both parties agree that the thing is wrong, but one is calling out the hypocrisy of the other, then a "but 'your guy'" statement is admissible. But if it's intended as a justification, then no. Then it just descends into once a wrong has been committed by any side, it's justifiable by the other invoking the right of "but 'your guy'".

Now do this for the media.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you're saying the other side didn't give a **** when their guy did it, so stop giving a **** when my guy does it, it sounds like you're using the former to justify the latter. So my question is, why do you let the other side set the passes for your side's standards? Does your side have standards? Or are they simply whatever the other side does?

More like chemical or biological weapons. We both think they're wrong. Should your side deploy them, the gloves are off. No first use of nukes is like that also, going down that road gets me to 'weapons free'

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Now do this for the media.

The media are full of hypocrites. They can point out the sins of the other, but they can't point out those same sins when it's their own. Which probably means that they didn't really give a **** when it was Trump. They only gave a **** because it was Trump. Their guy doing it, okey dokey. **********s.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    More like chemical or biological weapons. We both think they're wrong. Should your side deploy them, the gloves are off. No first use of nukes is like that also, going down that road gets me to 'weapons free'

Wrong to build, own, or use? I would argue its okay to design, build and strategically place.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It's one thing to say it's wrong but justifiable for one's own survival. Then you aren't relying on the other side's sins to justify your own. So let's say it this way. It's okay for Trump to do quid-pro-quos because Biden did it. Is that a valid justification? I think it's fine to use "but 'your guy'" to call out hypocrisy, to accuse the other side of not really giving a **** about the thing they they complained about your guy doing. For example, they didn't really give a flying **** about Trump's supposed quid pro quo because they didn't give a **** when their guy did it. They just cared about accusing Trump of something untoward.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We aren't really off topic anyway. Several believe Covid is a Chinese biological weapon escaped from a lab

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Then jump in with some pithy or erudite comment to get the thread back on track. If you think we're just here to entertain you and no contribution is necessary then you're bound to be disappointed

I'm not entering in the "Smartest person in the Room" discussion. I'm way out classed. :cool:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay. On topic.

Why do we give a **** about comparing the percent positive across populations? That's going to vary across locations, according to many factors other than the true percentage of a given population that has covid. And that's what the percent positive is supposed to represent. In bat **** hysterical areas, people will be more obsessed with being tested and a higher portion of the population who doesn't have covid might go get tested. And so that community might tend to have a lower percent positive than an area that has people who tend to go get tested when they come down with symptoms that are associated with covid. I suppose from area to area, to get an idea how overtaxed their health care facilities might get, they could look at their specific area's percent positive and how it correlates to beds.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    It's one thing to say it's wrong but justifiable for one's own survival. Then you aren't relying on the other side's sins to justify your own. So let's say it this way. It's okay for Trump to do quid-pro-quos because Biden did it. Is that a valid justification? I think it's fine to use "but 'your guy'" to call out hypocrisy, to accuse the other side of not really giving a **** about the thing they they complained about your guy doing. For example, they didn't really give a flying **** about Trump's supposed quid pro quo because they didn't give a **** when their guy did it. They just cared about accusing Trump of something untoward.

It is even more than that. Their guy did it so they must accuse the other guy of doing it even though he didn't. This strategy has worked over and over because the media joyfully goes along with it. They can make the false accusation a much bigger deal than the real thing.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm not entering in the "Smartest person in the Room" discussion. I'm way out classed. :cool:

I think we were trying to resolve the question of "but 'your guy'" as a justification for my guy. And as Foz said, it's at least remotely related to this thread.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It is even more than that. Their guy did it so they must accuse the other guy of doing it even though he didn't. This strategy has worked over and over because the media joyfully goes along with it. They can make the false accusation a much bigger deal than the real thing.

Well, that's true enough. They impeached Trump for what their guy did. And it smelled a little like Trump was doing a quid pro quo. But it didn't actually happen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom