Not open for further replies.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    But he's not stopping people from being vaccinated.
    It's a severe form of government intervention to prevent businesses from deciding what customers should come in. He's also forbidden school mask mandates, hasn't he?
    So you'd be okay with a "No Blacks" sign on a business, I'm assuming?
    Because that's quite literally what "vaccinated only" means, if you dig into statistics.
    First, that's a different topic but it should be up to the business owner. However, I would not support such a business.

And no, it's not at all the same as trying to minimize infectious disease spread. Abbott's anti-masking stance and preventing others from asking about vaccines is aiding infectious disease. It's not rationalized by saying "oh but racism". The vaccine is free and it's a choice, not something people were born with.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Well since it's been recalled probably not, they are probably using one of the other 250+ tests that still have approval.
    But it isn't recalled till end of year. I know places are still using them and without covid ever being isolated I highly doubt the other tests can differentiate either

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's a severe form of government intervention to prevent businesses from deciding what customers should come in. He's also forbidden school mask mandates, hasn't he?

First, that's a different topic but it should be up to the business owner. However, I would not support such a business.

And no, it's not at all the same as trying to minimize infectious disease spread. Abbott's anti-masking stance and preventing others from asking about vaccines is aiding infectious disease. It's not rationalized by saying "oh but racism". The vaccine is free and it's a choice, not something people were born with.

So, then I guess we need to go back to that decision about baking a cake then.

Or is it, sometimes it's okay, and sometimes it's not, depending on which side of the issue?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But it isn't recalled till end of year. I know places are still using them and without covid ever being isolated I highly doubt the other tests can differentiate either
    They issued a recall for one specific test, the emergency use authorization for a different one expires at the end of the year.
    Here is the recall for the one.

And here is the explanation for the removal of EUA for the other, notice it's not because it can't differentiate between viruses.

ETA and yes it has been isolated, it was last year.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Or is it, sometimes it's okay, and sometimes it's not, depending on which side of the issue?
    IMO prohibiting discrimination through force of law is unconstitutional. It is a violation of the 1st Am right of freedom of assembly(association) which includes the right to not associate with who one doesn't wish to.

As to whether it's okay to discriminate, IMO yeah it depends to some degree.

So you'd be okay with a "No Blacks" sign on a business, I'm assuming?
    Because that's quite literally what "vaccinated only" means, if you dig into statistics.

See above, yes I believe it should be allowed. Whether I would patronize such a business is another issue.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville

Property and first amendment rights only apply when it's something a leftist believes in. Otherwise, there are no rights.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Okay.
    Since we can see a shot record for THIS instance, then I guess we open the door to see your ENTIRE shot record.
    Not updated on your Tetanus shot, no entrance.
    I see you're getting a shot for HIV. Well, no entrance.
    etc
    etc

And then, a few years later, why stop there?
    Had a few heart attacks? Well, we don't want you dropping dead in our business, no entrance.
    Stroke? No entrance.
    etc
    etc

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    When they make everyone else follow the rules, they reduce the overall disease risk and privilege themselves to be the few to take advantage of that.
    For a different example, Abbott in Texas is going so far as to prevent businesses to control their own environment. [from infringing on the constitutional (both state and US) rights of citizens in a knee-jerk, fear based reaction] If a bar wants to just have vaccinated patrons, they can lose their liquor license
    Explain how that would be any different than requiring patrons to demonstrate that they are below a certain BMI, which is not only evidence of an unhealthy lifestyle and increased susceptibility to WuVid, but potentially disgusting. Where does it stop?

Must everybody and everything be an enumerated protected class in law in order to be protected from ad hoc discrimination? And, if so, when everyone gets their particular carve out from the rules won't we just be pretty much back where we began

Meanwhile he just took Regeneron for a Covid exposure even though he is already vaccinated. This would lead one to think he is more concerned about the virus than his public policies suggest.
    Someone in another thread said it best. The people who think if they only give up enough rights they will get their freedoms back have never read a history book. IMO we should not go down that road, and I feel that you focus too much on the particular and insufficiently on the broader implications of such policies

Reasonable precautions should actually be reasonable. If the vaccine does not prevent you from harboring the virus at transmissible levels nor from catching a case from an infected vaccinated person, how can such a restriction be in any way reasonable (root word 'reason')

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Explain how that would be any different than requiring patrons to demonstrate that they are below a certain BMI, which is not only evidence of an unhealthy lifestyle and increased susceptibility to WuVid, but potentially disgusting. Where does it stop?

Must everybody and everything be an enumerated protected class in law in order to be protected from ad hoc discrimination? And, if so, when everyone gets their particular carve out from the rules won't we just be pretty much back where we began

Someone in another thread said it best. The people who think if they only give up enough rights they will get their freedoms back have never read a history book. IMO we should not go down that road, and I feel that you focus too much on the particular and insufficiently on the broader implications of such policies

Reasonable precautions should actually be reasonable. If the vaccine does not prevent you from harboring the virus at transmissible levels nor from catching a case from an infected vaccinated person, how can such a restriction be in any way reasonable (root word 'reason')
    You don't have a "right" to use a particular business.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Protected class? You seem to be advocating for making being unjabbed a protected class.

Aren't you advocating for removing the right of business owners to determine who they wish to have on their property? So you're okay with forcing others to give up their rights.
    Since it's SO IMPORTANT, why are we NOT going after things that make it worse?
    Such as weight, blood pressure, etc?
    Good question.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Okay.
    Since we can see a shot record for THIS instance, then I guess we open the door to see your ENTIRE shot record.
    Not updated on your Tetanus shot, no entrance.
    I see you're getting a shot for HIV. Well, no entrance.
    etc
    etc

And then, a few years later, why stop there?
    Had a few heart attacks? Well, we don't want you dropping dead in our business, no entrance.
    Stroke? No entrance.
    etc
    etc

We all need that implanted "health" chip in our hands to carry this out for a safe and secure society.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Protected class? You seem to be advocating for making being unjabbed a protected class.

Aren't you advocating for removing the right of business owners to determine who they wish to have on their property? So you're okay with forcing others to give up their rights.
    You are incorrect, which is getting to be unsurprising. I am criticizing the already long laundry list of special people who are somewhat immune from arbitrary discrimination and simultaneously lamenting that the only way to PREVENT arbitrary discrimination seems to be to add to that list rather than see people mount a robust defense of all freedoms

You don't have total freedom of association and you know it, and your pastel worries about the unvaccinated being made a protected class is given the lie when contrasted with your desire to make the vaccinated a protected class

Maybe the best way forward is not to make any new protected classes, and perhaps rethink some of the already existing ones. The willingness of some to bend and twist rights for the purpose of merely getting what they want at the moment alway leaves me SMH

I see '... Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness ...' but I don't believe 'safety' is ever mentioned

Good question.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    It’s getting harder and harder to take some people seriously. Why is there no talk of the Obama variant? Not a single mask at his party. “Oh. But they were vaccinated” Ya, that’s why that county is reporting the largest increase of Covid 19 since the beginning, right? Let’s focus on governors who support people’s freedom to make their own choice, let’s ignore the politicians caught numerous times not following their own rules.

Show me where Texas and Florida is at on the Covid death count this month, then talk statistics. As long as people who tell me to where a mask aren’t doing so themselves, and as long as the hospitals are still full of vaccinated patients, I’m not doing ****. Don’t like it? Scream outside as loud as you can, someone might care, but I don’t.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom