• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    What an odd situation we find ourselves in. 10 years ago if you asked any college liberal

“ if a business discriminates against someone that isn’t a legally protected group yet does that make it ok?”

they would have went raving on about how discrimination is discrimination.

now here we stand in 2020 with liberals calling for discrimination and conservatives still haven’t figured out they were on the wrong side of this debate all along even though the discrimination is largely against them.
    For the college liberal, they may answer that question that way. How do you think they would answer "should a business be allowed to prohibit guns?".

Conservatives are on the wrong side? Do you consider yourself a conservative? If so do you believe that a baker should be required to bake and decorate a cake for a same sex couple? How about should a female beautician be required to wax another "woman's" meat and potatoes? I can come up with more examples if you would like.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

nothing-of-value-was-lost-the-critic.gif

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It’s getting harder and harder to take some people seriously. Why is there no talk of the Obama variant? Not a single mask at his party. “Oh. But they were vaccinated” Ya, that’s why that county is reporting the largest increase of Covid 19 since the beginning, right? Let’s focus on governors who support people’s freedom to make their own choice, let’s ignore the politicians caught numerous times not following their own rules.

Show me where Texas and Florida is at on the Covid death count this month, then talk statistics. As long as people who tell me to where a mask aren’t doing so themselves, and as long as the hospitals are still full of vaccinated patients, I’m not doing ****. Don’t like it? Scream outside as loud as you can, someone might care, but I don’t.
    I think Obama should have canceled his party (or really limited it to close family) if he wanted to live what he spoke about the pandemic. As a guy looked upon by millions, he has a responsibility. He knew that lifetime responsibility when he ran for president. To Oprah's credit, she reportedly decided not to attend once the virus was surging. These people talk about how much more Covid has affected the poor then they can't bother to postpone a birthday party.

As to your 2nd paragraph, the hospitals are full of UNvaccinated patients. And the death rate lags the hospital rates.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    As to your 2nd paragraph, the hospitals are full of UNvaccinated patients. And the death rate lags the hospital rates.
    Then perhaps Warp Speed 2, an all out effort to find effective treatments for the virus once people already have it, should already be up and running

Given the time necessary to vaccinate everybody, even if they were all willing, why is mass vaccination considered to be the only way forward as well as some sort of endpoint - especially given the weak prophylaxis it evidently provides

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I asked the same question on faceyspace and got nothing but crickets, so I'll ask it here. How many of these new cases have previously had c19? If that answer is the same .7-1% that the last study that approached it, then why aren't we counting the natural immunity? Why can't we get straight answers?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I asked the same question on faceyspace and got nothing but crickets, so I'll ask it here. How many of these new cases have previously had c19? If that answer is the same .7-1% that the last study that approached it, then why aren't we counting the natural immunity? Why can't we get straight answers?
    I agree, natural immunity is definitely a factor that is being ignored in too many cases.
    However the natural immunity depends on the level of immune system response caused by the COVID infection. If someone had such a mild case that they barely knew they had it because they had such a low initial viral load. They would still test positive for having the virus but their immune system would not be that much better at fighting it. They could still be vulnerable to being infected with a higher initial viral load and get very sick. How much does their prior exposure count then? Are they counted the same as someone who survived a higher viral load and a serious fight with the virus?
    Same with vaccination. The immune system response is different in different people. There is a whole spectrum of responses. Some vaccinated people will be well protected and others not so much.
    The level of immunity in a population is not as simple as only counting vaccinated people. This also leaves room for biased interpretation and of course there are liars involved too, so straight, accurate and honest answers will be rare.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Then perhaps Warp Speed 2, an all out effort to find effective treatments for the virus once people already have it, should already be up and running

Given the time necessary to vaccinate everybody, even if they were all willing, why is mass vaccination considered to be the only way forward as well as some sort of endpoint - especially given the weak prophylaxis it evidently provides
    There are quite a few studies and have been several drugs given authorization. Some had it removed when more data showed it didn't work well. Early in the pandemic, doctors weren't using dexamethasone because it usually makes respiratory diseases worse. Once data showed it was helpful in the severe cases, they started using it. There are some docs using it early, but that appears to be a mistake. Point being: if you search the literature there are constantly multiple studies about how to get better at treating Covid

There is no legitimate working theory though of a really good antiviral that will shut down the attack. There was reason to be cautiously optimistic about vaccination at the beginning of the pandemic. And IMO it's far better than expected.

The short answer: is we have experience at reducing or even ending epidemics with vaccination. We don't have experience at good treatment for viruses other than supportive care.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I've seen both case reports and population data. There are studies showing that previously-infected people have improved immunity after 1 vaccine. As for determining % from total previously infected, you are going to have to start with an estimate of how many people were previously infected, including those that were not tested. It might be difficult to agree upon an answer so then what is your data worth?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I've seen both case reports and population data. There are studies showing that previously-infected people have improved immunity after 1 vaccine. As for determining % from total previously infected, you are going to have to start with an estimate of how many people were previously infected, including those that were not tested. It might be difficult to agree upon an answer so then what is your data worth?
    There are also studies that show previously infected have the same re-infection rate as those with the vaccine. Another one that showed PI had a lower delta variant re-infection rate than the vax'd. I swear there are studies that study the studies that the studies studied.

Whatever. I had it. It sucked. I don't feel like being a guinea pig so I'll let my body do it's thing.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    not sure if posted yesterday but looks like the booster plan is coming out and unsurprisingly it looks like the powers that be are making it up as they go along. Saying to get it 8 months after initially fully vaxed with no science behind that timeline. And also at the protest of the WHO on behalf of severely under vaccinated developing countries.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/202...e-us-covid-booster-plan-and-why-who-hates-it/

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    There are also studies that show previously infected have the same re-infection rate as those with the vaccine. Another one that showed PI had a lower delta variant re-infection rate than the vax'd. I swear there are studies that study the studies that the studies studied.

Whatever. I had it. It sucked. I don't feel like being a guinea pig so I'll let my body do it's thing.
    Okay. I'm not arguing against the idea that natural immunity might be fairly effective. I was just responding to the question of why isn't anyone studying natural immunity. I'm saying they have studied to an extent and it's difficult to get percentage effectiveness on

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom