• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    If more of us open carried, it would eventually become less of a foreign sight for these people and would become more socially acceptable by being more of the norm. Like stated above there are benefits and downfalls to both types of carry.
    I normally prefer to CC but I like to draw as little extra attention to myself as possible.

I was going to say this exact statement.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I would not take it too personal and I'll tell you why, I lived in Florida for almost 20 years, in that time meeting/being around and working for people from around the country, you notice different traits from people from different states. What you experienced is one of the traits I have encountered from folks from that area as well, not sure why that is? but I'm sure it was nothing you did personally, call it? after effects from the lunar eclipse or testosterone imbalance.

I think its called too much inbreeding. I think this is what your trying to say without saying it, so I will.....too much bad DNA inbreeding on this one.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    The OP handled the situation extremely well. Me...I would have busted up laughing as soon as he said "Is that a real gun?". If I were able to regain my composure while he was still there, I would have said something like "Nope! I just carry this fake one around cuz it matches my shoes!...Here's your sign!"

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    He seemed nice at first because he was getting a feel for how you would react to him. Once he decided you were balanced he went on his tirade because he felt confident you wouldn't shout him. He probably left feeling like he just did a great service to the community by showing the people there how crazy you were for carrying a gun and how great he was for exposing y you for the crazy person person you are.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I wonder how many others in the restaurant were CC'ing at the time?

Good point! I think that if you are CC'ing and witness someone ranting at another for OC'ing it wouldn't hurt to point out that you too are legally carrying. I'm guessing the idiot would have been dumbfounded to find he'd missed one!
    Ah, I envy the cowboys in the old west who could openly wear their guns into saloons, down the street, wherever and nobody batted an eye. (sigh)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ah, I envy the cowboys in the old west who could openly wear their guns into saloons, down the street, wherever and nobody batted an eye. (sigh)

Stop getting your history from movies! Gun control COMES from the Old West!

Look up Tombstone, Dodge City, etc. They all had total bans on carrying guns in city limits. If you like western movies then check out Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven (1992) - IMDb

NovemberKilo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Questions for the "assaulter:"

Do you wear your seatbelt when you drive your vehicle? Why?
    Are your car doors locked right now? Why?
    Do you lock the doors to your home at night? Why?
    Do you avoid driving through seedy areas of town? Why?
    Do you carry medical insurance or life insurance? Why?

We can't control the times or places in which unfortunate, dangerous or life-threatening situations arise. We can't predict when we may be attacked, involved in an accident, victimized by burglary or killed while riding a bicycle. The best we can do is carry insurance against such misfortunes and avoid danger whenever we see it coming our way.

Statistically, you're correct... That man is far more likely to kill someone with his automobile than you are with your firearm. That man is far more likely to be killed driving home than he is eating lunch in the same room with you - every single day of his life.

Statistically, that man has likely been around thousands of people carrying firearms throughout the course of his lifetime. He may or may not have noticed any of them, but they've been there: at Wal-Mart, at the movie theater, at the gas station, at restaurants, at social gatherings...

He was either a) afraid of something he doesn't understand (most likely) or b) making an intentional effort to throw you off balance and cause a scene.

Generally speaking, people experience a cognitive disconnect when they encounter a situation they perceive as "dangerous," but that they've never experienced before. It seems counterintuitive for him to "call you out" for carrying a firearm, but psychologically, it makes sense. He was indirectly attempting to draw attention to himself and to you because he felt he would be somehow "protected" or "shielded" from the "threat" he perceived if others were on his side.

Ever notice how kids on the playground weren't really all that likely to get into a fight unless they were being egged on by others? Ever notice how when people do enter into an altercation, they normally seek support from those surrounding them?

It's an involuntary reflex.

In this case, you did an awesome job by staying cool. If anything, your girlfriend would have done better by refraining from the conversation altogether. Her involvement likely escalated the "threat" in his mind and opened up another front from which he felt he was being "attacked."

I have little time or patience for such people, so I probably would have just said, "I'm enjoying my lunch/dinner, and I'm not bothering anyone. Why don't you do the same? Thank you. Have a nice day/evening."

If he kept at it, I probably would have called the manager over or called the police.

Either way, I think you did well.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

Look up Tombstone, Dodge City, etc. They all had total bans on carrying guns in city limits. If you like western movies then check out Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven (1992) - IMDb

True. Much of it did. BUT there were still plenty of places to carry without anyone caring about it. Don't assume too much from a few examples.

Already saw it, thanks.

Last edited:

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Good thing he was concerned about the kids when he went all mental and started drawing attention to himself when he launched into his profanity laiden rant. :n00b:
    Yea, the kid's. Let's hope he doesn't breed, and pass those cursing habits on to the youngster's:rockwoot:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Awesome job keeping your cool on this one! With regards to "educating" someone--some people, usually those radical enough to go off vehemently on someone in the middle of a calm and quiet meal--will not get the message because they've already closed their minds to anything opposing their point of view. CC or OC probably wouldn't have made any difference if this loon had seen/suspected a gun on someone. Aside from trying not to lose my temper to this &^%%$, I could only hope I'd have had the presence of mind to ask the gf to call the police and report a disturbing the peace, and recorded his plate number if/when he drove away. Making it obvious--ask him to pause for a moment as I explained that she IS reporting a disturbance of the peace, that HE is the disturbance, and that he could feel free to stick around long enough for the LEO's to arrive. I wonder how he'd have felt about that????

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

I was under the impression that the "gun bans" in those Old West cities were for newcomers, and that citizens could still carry. Am I mistaken?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I was under the impression that the "gun bans" in those Old West cities were for newcomers, and that citizens could still carry. Am I mistaken?

Yes, as far as I know the gun bans were fairly widespread in "civilized" towns. Check out some Wikipedia articles such as "Old West", and "The Earp Gang". Also google "gun control old west" and there are some hilarious articles about how "Dodge City was 200 years ahead of current US cities in gun control". They also compare the shootout at the O.K. Corral to modern tragedies like Tucson and say that "only 3 people died at the O.K." and make the conclusion that that's better. (The O.K. Corral shootout was over the Earps trying to disarm the cowboys after the Earps had beaten them up the night before).

The gun bans in western towns that I am aware of were for everyone, there wasn't even reciprocity for lawmen form other parts.

Top Bottom