• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • When should the next INGO NWI Greet & Shoot be?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Where:
    Winamac Fish and Wildlife Area
    Rifle/Shotgun/Handgun
    Range: Pulaski CR 200W, .25
    mile north of CR 500N, Winamac 46996
    (574) 946-4422
    PDF Map: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw_Winamac_map.pdf
    The range is right above circle #4 on the map.
    You can see it from the side of the road. DO NOT follow the sign for the SKEET RANGE that goes EAST INTO the park.

When:
    TBD BY POLL
    Either ...
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 or
    Sunday, Augsut 8, 2010
    Time: 10am CST (Chicago Time) @ the 25 yard range

For those of you who have not been to Winamac range please see these AAR:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/943648-post67.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_e...on_report.html
    and
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo_e...d_shoot-8.html

Attendance:
    jediagh + ??

Equipment:
    Handguns
    1911 5' [.45] Jediagh has limited ammo (under 40 rounds)

Rifle
    AR-7 [.22LR] Jediagh will have ammo
    WASR-10 [7.62x 39) Jediagh will have ammo

Shotgun
    Please note we can only use #4 or smaller shells on the 25' yard range. Birdshot is OK as well.

Moss500 w/ SpecOps Stock [12g] Jedigh has no ammo

Food:
    I would like a volunteer or two to handle the food stuff. Donations or members bringing in items would work. However the "food committee" wants to deal with this is OK with me.

NWI INGO Food Committee Chair #1: :dunno:
    NWI INGO Food Committee Chair #2: :dunno:

We are allowed to brnig food (ie small gas grills) onto the range based on our July 11, 2010 outing. Last time hot dogs and polishes were cooked on a small propane grill, box of hot chips and browines were brought. The food was primarly brought by two people (melensdad and AuntieBellum).

If we decide to do food this time I suggest we orgainze a bit more and either pitch in money wise or bring food to cook. It was very kind of melensdad and AuntieBellum to bring the food the last time but think it's only fair if the rest of us (or at least those that want to eat) pitch in a bit more.

NWI INGO Range Officer:
    I would like a volunteer or two to handle being the offical INGO 25' range officer and have us as a group go over the rules and observe us all on the line.

NWI INGO RO #1: GhostofWinter
    NWI INGO RO #2: :dunno:

Plywood Donation for the Range:
    DNR can only put new plywood up on Mondays. I would like for us as a group to donate some money to get new plywood for the 25' yard (3 plywoods) and see if someone can bring it. Either on Sat/Sun when we go or the Monday of the week we go to have it up for us. DNR advised that the state has tighten their funds so they can't always put fresh plywood up. The 11 JUL 10 outing plywood was heavly damaged before we got there and I'm sure by the time we left it was even worse.

NWI INGO Plywood Person:
    Trooper Lefty

Need free printable targets? Try this website:
    FREE TARGETS from TARGETZ.com

Last edited:

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    My wife and I will definitely be there, and this time, I'll be able to stay a bit longer and we will bring some nosh. This last meet was really successful.

Jediagh, I just want you to know that you do a great job organizing these shoots, and based on the responses from INGO people throughout the rest of the state, we seem to be the only region organizing a regular meet, and you are the one putting it together everytime. Don't get me wrong, I know a few charismatic individuals like Bubba and AuntieBellum, GhostofWinter, 451_Detonics, and really everyone else are a big part of why these meets are so successful, but Jediagh, you seem to really be the one who posts the dates and gives everyone a point around which to rally.

I only mean that your enthusiasm is a big part of why NWI INGO is so active. And why I've got a place to blast, and people with whom to do so.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Your welcome woodrow but I can't take any of the credit. Sure I "start" the event going but there are so many others that have a heart of gold at these events for allowing me and others to use their guns and ammo without every asking for anything. I've leaned on AuntieBellum for her girly purple 10/22 and GhostOfWinter's slew of .22s guns. In addition AuntieBellum's name tags and table setting has been great! Now it looks like we might have food as well at these events so everyone does their part and the most imporant thing we all have fun. Now if we can just bring more "new" shooters that would be even better!

I challenge each of you that are thinking of coming to the this outing to bring at least one new shooter.

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Indeed, everyone up here is a huge part of why NWI is so successful. The wife really enjoyed the vibe of the group and the individuals and we're really excited about the cigar night and next month at Winamac. I'll vote when I get a better idea about my schedule and what day of the week, but I'll be there whatever day it is.

johncarbaugh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Logansport
    I had two coolers full of drinks but I think most had there own. I took two almost full coolers back home. I think a good idea might be put a donation jar on the INGO table. All the money that gets collected goes into food and supplies for the next meet. Hope to make it next time but will have to wait and see what day it is on.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Jediagh has an idea of Range Officer(s) (one of us) when we shoot and I feel like this is a good point for everyone's safety. Teamwork on everyone's part is what makes the Meet and Shoot work so well and getting more popular with time, just look in a previous reply where an INGO member was looking to see if ther was an activity like the Meet and Shoot around the Indianapolis area. One only has to look at the INGO Events Forum for the July NWI Meet and Shoot to see the numbers, 184 Replys and 2544 Views to see how many people are interested in what we do with most participants traveling over an hour to get to the Winamac range. More is better, everybody who reads this is welcome to come and see where the fun is with friendly people who like to shoot guns and sometimes BS.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I really think for the the ease of the shooters given the numbers that have been coming we should really think about asking that rifle shooters other than 22s use the fifty. I see nothing wrong with our group shooting on two ranges and normally they don't other non-INGO folks on the fifty.

I also agree with the idea of a qualified RO, I spent about half my time keeping an eye on the firing line and did correct some gun handling faux pas.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I really think for the the ease of the shooters given the numbers that have been coming we should really think about asking that rifle shooters other than 22s use the fifty...
    This seems pretty reasonable.

Handguns and 22lr on the 25 yard range.

Centerfire rifle cartridges on the 50 yard range. Firing the 6.5 Grendel, the Mosin and even a 223 at targets on the 25 yard range was sort of silly, but as everyone was gathered there that is where the shooting took place.

What about pistol caliber carbines? 25 or 50?

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    How busy have the rifle ranges been on the weekends for these events?

Need to wring out a couple of project rifles, 50 yards isn't going to tell me what I need to know.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    How busy have the rifle ranges been on the weekends for these events?

Need to wring out a couple of project rifles, 50 yards isn't going to tell me what I need to know.

When I was leaving at 1:30 +/-pm there was NOBODY on the 100 yard range. 1 person on the 200 yard range. 3 people on the 50 yard range.

When I got there at 10:15am there was NOBODY on the 100 yard range, NOBODY on the 200 yard range. A couple people on the 50 yard range.

As I stayed down by the BBQ grill and my guns, all of which were down by the 25 yard range area, I have no clue if there was much or any traffic on the 100 and 200 yard ranges. The 50 yard ranges had some traffic as people moved back & forth to/from the 25 yard range.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I think everyone has a good idea in having a range officer. When we first started shooting/meeting we were only getting a handful of folks (about a dozen). Now that the group seems to be growing by leaps and bounds (is it the weather or the like minded folks? I'll let you decide), it has started becoming rather congested at the firing line. Add in a mixture of new shooters as well as experienced ones and you have the potential for problems. By having one person who's sole 'job' is to make sure everyone is safe it allows the rest to enjoy themselves a bit more.

Maybe we should have some sort of a safety handout or talk before hand to insure that everyone is on the same page? ( I am thinking out loud here...) Perhaps have a few folks that are willing to volunteer to 'mentor' new shooters to ensure that they follow the rules as well perhaps? I think we have a GREAT thing going here and would LOVE to see us continue to grow, but like everything that evolves we need to keep ahead of any potential problems to avoid them. The idea for how to do the food is another place we need to think about. I think it worked out well this time, but there is always room for improvement.

I also have to agree that shooting centerfire calibers on the 25 yard range is a bit silly. I mean they have a 100 and 200 yard range there. It would be fun to see how well folks do with stretching the legs on their rifles. As for how busy it has been. We have been there on Sundays only and they have been pretty quite. I think I have only seen a handful of other shooters there at any given time. This may change however the closer to hunting season it gets, then again it may not.

Ok I think I have written enough of a novel here. I'll let you poor folks rest your eyes now. LOL

Greg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If you guys have it on Saturday and wish to invite me, I can bring some steel for you guys to play with.

They do not allow steel on the range, paper target only with clays on the skeet/trap range.

It will definitely get busier the month before deer season opens, my understanding is on weekends there can be a line for a bench.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    <<Comments for the MODs>>
    Hum... I understand why you moved the post since we are now "talking" about the next event and not just posting "who is coming". It would have been nice if the website would have sent an email notice about the move or that "new" replies have come donw the pipe. I think when the thread was moved the auto-eature of new post got axed. Not sure. In any case I found the thread again.

Bring the thread back into line and will post this on the OP as well.

Here is what I suggest we do.

1) Need at least 2 volunteers to be "RO" for us. These two can take turns if they like doing the watching. I have no concept of RO rules other than COLD/HOT and STOP so I don't feel fully qualified to do this but would like to learn. To me what my friend's daughter did of having the barrel pointed down while backing back to the bench was "ok" in part becuase I saw she had finished her 10 clip but do understand that Ghost had no idea of this and was seeing the action mid-way.

2) If we are going to bring food for the next one then would like to see 2 people volunteer to handle it (food, donations if need be, etc..)

3) A member PMed me that the boards were real beat up this time. The one I was on (far right) had some huge wholes in it (SG suspect). This member had talked to the the DNR guy who said the state budget is tight and they can't change the boards all the time anymore. Well I called the range today and told them about our group, how we go down once a month, how nice the palce is, thank them for the facilities and asked if we could either donate boards, given them money or put the boards up ourselves. The lady on the phone said that the easiest thing to do would be to bring pkywood (std. size) and they can put it up. They can only put them up on Mondays when the range is closed.

I don't have a truck to bring plywood but I would like for us as a group to pitch in some money and bring them some plywood even if we don't get to use it that weekend. Unless we can get a member to do it on the monday before we go.

What do ya think?

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    WELL, it's official I am having Carpal Tunnel Surgery on Friday Aug 6th right BEFORE the shoot, so I will NOT be doing ANY shooting, and to be honest I kinda doubt I will be in any condition to monitor the line either. We ARE though planning on coming iffor nothing else to enjoy the company of the rest of you fine folks.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The 4 Rules of Firearms Safety:
    1. Handle all firearms as if they were loaded.
    2. Never point the gun at anything you're not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you have made the decision to fire the weapon.
    4. Know your target, and know what is beyond the target.

This is a start and I am sure others will add to the list for the next Meet and Shoot. :dunno:

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I don't have a truck to bring plywood but I would like for us as a group to pitch in some money and bring them some plywood even if we don't get to use it that weekend. Unless we can get a member to do it on the monday before we go.

What do ya think?
    What was out there? Kinda hard to tell after it absorbs 30lb of birdshot, but I think 1/2"? It's about $10 a sheet at Lowes, which if my memory serves correctly would work out to about $0.85 for every man, woman and child that attended on 7/11 to redo the 25yd target line. Or, taking a rough estimate of the average attendance for the last few shoots, a little over $15 per person to outfit the 25yd range with new plywood every month for a year. INGO sponsorship, anyone?:ingo:

As far as rules go, CL got the big ones. All we need to add is that all firearms not actively in use must either be cased or holstered and any unholstered firearms must have actions/cylinders locked open where possible. Also that any firearm being moved from one place to another behind the line should have the muzzle pointed skyward. If we choose to organize this, we need to agree on a narrow focus for the safety officers, both for their convenience and our enjoyment. For example, I don't think we really need RO's a la Kingsbury range, calling regular cease fires and such (I didn't directly observe a time where someone was handling firearms on the line during a cold range) but we do need someone to watch for drifting muzzles and to be the guy that knows when we are hot and cold not just asking the person next to you who may or may not have been paying attention.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    FWIW, I think there are 'gun safety' rules and then there are 'range etiquette' rules.

For example, I shoot at home, and often alone, and rarely think about locking back the bolt on one of my ARs before I go check a target or if I just set the gun aside. But at the shoot on Sunday my guns were back at the BBQ grill and I noticed that someone had locked the bolt back on my daughters pink AR15. That is the RIGHT THING TO DO at most ranges. Clearly I didn't think about it when I set the gun down after bringing it from the car (that gun was not cased).

In my mind the gun was safe, it was not pointed at anyone, it was unloaded, there was no magazine, so it pretty much followed the 4 Gun Safety Rules that have been so often copied from Col. Jeff Cooper's Gunsite Training Academy.

But what is in my mind, and what is VISIBLE TO OTHERS are 2 different things. So while I don't know who had the good sense to lock the bolt back, I do extend my thanks. Again, that falls under "range etiquette" and that is clearly something that becomes visible to ALL shooters.

Because I may only frequent a public range very infrequently I may not follow some of the range etiquette procedures, newbies to shooting probably won't follow them, and may not even follow the 4 basic safety rules. Further what is common range etiquette in one type of shooting may not be common for all types (I'm a former trap shooter, never shot pistol competitions, etc so I don't know their range procedures). That said, someone may want to actually come up with a set of range guidelines we should use at the INGO range days, print out 30+ copies, and hand them out to people as they show up, staple them to the shooting tables, etc???

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    If you follow the basics that is good enough but as some have said, some folks are not used to shooting around other people at a public range. Folks like that have habits that differ from the folks who have shoot with other a good bit. These are habits that may be safe when alone but not safe around others. Other than the above I cannot stress these enough...

All rifle and/or pistol actions MUST be opened, chambers empty and magazines removed (if possible) at ALL times when persons are downrange. Rifles and/or pistols unattended behind the firing line MUST also have actions opened and magazines removed (if possible). A cased firearm meets the listed criteria. (Note: Use of an Open Bolt Indicator O.B.I. is recommended to designate compliance).

No handling of firearms behind the firing line...period. (We can designate a safe gun handling area)

Before anyone goes forward on the firing line, all firearms shall be made safe. All actions must be open and magazines must be removed. Absolutely no touching firearms while people are downrange.

All persons NOT in the act of firing MUST remain behind the firing line. (a coach is ok but it has been getting overly crowded on the line)

I am a NRA Range Officer and would be happy to act as RO for part of the day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom