Aug '11 1500: Rants and complaints...let em fly!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was extremely disappointed with the show as well, there was a huge abundance of garbage like someone previously said. Seemed there was just as much junk as there were firearms for sale. To my EXTREME disappointment....I saw a huge mark-up on firearms that I was interested in....some as high as a grand ($1,000) !!!! One of these said dealers had a DPMS AR10 that was in FDE w/ a bipod, no scope, magpul stock, and slight scratches on the upper receiver. I have personally held this weapon in my hands at the dealer's shop and with my own eyes seen a price tag of $1,399. SO...tell me why it was marked up to $1,899 dollars?!? I witnessed several instances where this kind of practice took place! I am an avid gunbroker, Ingunowners, Sniperhide, AR15, INshooters, and Armslists classifieds watcher.... so when I see a particular weapon at the 1500 that I have seen on one of those sites.....it usually does not slip past me. I understand wanting to make some extra cash... but why make a bad name for yourself by doing this kind of thing?!? People go to the 1500 to get a good or great deal... not be swindled for 500+ more dollars. I will say, I attend every 1500 during the course of the year, and BY FAR the summer shows are a complete waste of your time and money unless you are going for ammo. All in all, this year's August show has been awarded 5th place in my top 5 Worst Indy 1500 shows.

trip9901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I only found one good deal on ammo! i will say i was very dissapointed by the size of the show and the number of vendors. there were too many tables with things that should not have been there. i.e, jewlery and purses!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I bought ammo, it wasn't a GREAT deal, but saved on shipping and payed average price...
    7.62x54R Prvi was around $15 a box
    7.62x25 (Tokarev) Prvi was about... $17 a box I think.

About average, and no shipping, no wait.

Edit: And brass cased to reload!

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Some people should use soap and water to wash their asses before they go to the 1500.. nothing like smelling foul funky people when you go to the 1500.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Raven had some deals! 3 hours for a holster vs. 3+ months! That's a deal I plan on taking advantage of every time.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I was extremely disappointed with the show as well, there was a huge abundance of garbage like someone previously said. Seemed there was just as much junk as there were firearms for sale. To my EXTREME disappointment....I saw a huge mark-up on firearms that I was interested in....some as high as a grand ($1,000) !!!! One of these said dealers had a DPMS AR10 that was in FDE w/ a bipod, no scope, magpul stock, and slight scratches on the upper receiver. I have personally held this weapon in my hands at the dealer's shop and with my own eyes seen a price tag of $1,399. SO...tell me why it was marked up to $1,899 dollars?!? I witnessed several instances where this kind of practice took place! I am an avid gunbroker, Ingunowners, Sniperhide, AR15, INshooters, and Armslists classifieds watcher.... so when I see a particular weapon at the 1500 that I have seen on one of those sites.....it usually does not slip past me. I understand wanting to make some extra cash... but why make a bad name for yourself by doing this kind of thing?!? People go to the 1500 to get a good or great deal... not be swindled for 500+ more dollars. I will say, I attend every 1500 during the course of the year, and BY FAR the summer shows are a complete waste of your time and money unless you are going for ammo. All in all, this year's August show has been awarded 5th place in my top 5 Worst Indy 1500 shows.

Well no wonder why you were disappointed. If your shopping on gunbroker, 99.9% of the dealers in the country can't compete with a lot of the prices you find there. Don't got to gun shows expecting rock bottom gunbroker deals. It just doesn't happen anymore.

The show is a good place to find gear and guns all in one spot. If your looking for smoking deals, better stick to gunbroker and the Internet. I think these days gun shows are more about convince than rock bottom prices. Its a place where you can find about anything all in once place.

Last edited:

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well no wonder why you were disappointed. If your shopping on gunbroker, 99.9% of the dealers in the country can't compete with a lot of the prices you find there. Don't got to gun shows expecting rock bottom gunbroker deals. It just doesn't happen anymore.

The show is a good place to find gear and guns all in one spot. If your looking for smoking deals, better stick to gunbroker and the Internet. I think these days gun shows are more about convince than rock bottom prices. Its a place where you can find about anything all in once place.

I also shop on gunbroker, and unless it's a good deal on used, once you add in shipping and FFL transfer fees, I can usually find new guns locally or at least close for prices as good.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I do not complain. My friend and I go, may pick up some things I need from time to time. Did help a friend pick out his first handgun, and he got a good deal on it.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I agree with kirk, I hate all the complainers. if you thought the aisles were too small your either too fat or just plain challenged. these threads are far dumber than any thread rambone has ever had.

Tyler I am not fat nor am I dumb, but it is ridiculous when you turn a corner and see two vendors who are side by side that has pushed their tables out to the point that there is room for 2 people to stand side by side.

When the vendor has wider area to walk around inside his ring tables than the aisle, then it is more than stupidity, it is also a safety concern for all.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    As shows go the 1500 has too many flea market tables but I still feel like I get my money's worth. There does seem to be a drop-off in quality vendors in my estimation. When certain vendors stop coming to an event it can be a deal breaker for me. I haven't been to the Dayton show in a year plus because two guys who always had something of interest don't show up any more. I don't know the reasons but it is too far to drive for only a smattering of interesting stuff. I did find 3 Austrian FAL mags for $12 each at this 1500 show. Since that was one of the items on my list I was happy. In June I found an all matching (except safety bar) 1939 Mauser Luger for what I thought was a fair price. I guess it really depends upon what you are going to look for at the 1500.
    The only shows that I attend religiously which feature only gun and knife related tables are the Show of Shows in Louisville and the Wanenmacher show in Tulsa.:patriot:

Top Bottom