Aug '11 1500: Rants and complaints...let em fly!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Isles seemed wide enough to me...but I did go at 2pm on Sunday when they were shutting down. Got a spam can of 7.62x54R for $85.00 that's only a few cents more than I found it on line. There was a couple of cans of that stuff for $70.00 but it looked like S###. Did see the best deal on 8mm Mauser, Spam can for $95.00 but he only took cash and I was out. About what I expected for a summer show.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    While I did not make it this time around (working all weekend) my wife did go, and her and my son found a decent deal on targets. 2 pads of 25 half size targets for $10, plus two more pads of rimfire targets for free. I was really surprised knowing her that she didnt come home with another stray pistol looking for a home.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There were dozens upon dozens of deals just in guns.

I got a Smith & Wesson K-22 Target Masterpiece for $400 and a Colt Police Positive in .22 WRF for $250. There were many other guns that were deals that I could have hit on if I had the green stamps.

I want to complain about the complaining.:laugh:

older models and antiques are the only guns which you can consistently find deals on there.....not many people are into many of them so their prices are usually ok....but modern weapons, there were no deals....I didn't see one gun that I cant get from Bradis, ITS, PSS, or online for considerably cheaper...and I looked through every table as usual

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    9mm bulk "deals" were ****.

depends on what you're looking for and if you're being very picky on what you buy. I got 1,000 rounds of range plinking 9mm for $200 out the door, brass cased not the steel cased russian stuff......I can't find a better price than that even online which is where I get most of my deals

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    You know what really honks me off? The @#$^@#%&#$% knife dealer that has his little case of automatic knives on full freaking display. Complete with a little sign saying "sales only to LEO & Military with ID".

That crap ticks me off. Wish just ONE of the LEO working the show would've cited / confiscated / etc.

(No, this was NOT Brad's Knives)

-J-

Agreed and repped.:yesway: A few LEO's knew about it and all he did was put a foam cover over them. I actually stopped and told him they were illegal but he told me they were legal for LEO's and military. I told him he was wrong and he told me I was wrong and for me to read the law again. :noway:
    I simply walked away thining what a idiot.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    older models and antiques are the only guns which you can consistently find deals on there.....not many people are into many of them so their prices are usually ok

Surely you are joking. Have you seen the prices of Smiths or Winchesters recently? By the ghost of Henry Hazlitt, why do you think one is able to find good deals on used guns and not new guns?

We've been over this time and time again. I think part of it is the lack of economics being taught in government schools and the entitlement mentality that sloshes over from the pop culture. I have no idea how many people walk into a gun show and expect to be given a gun. Must be over 50% of the attendees to judge by the whining.

"I paid me all of $13 I wants meye free gun."

You do not attend guns shows to gets you a mighty fine deal on a new Ruger or Glock.:rolleyes: What makes you think you would given the abolition of kitchen table FFLs? Do you think gun stores magically transport their inventory and have no overhead?:dunno:

Let's revisit a past gun show whinefest and where I drop (even more) knowledge on INGO: http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/28237-indy_1500_savings.html

You don't go to gun shows to save money on new Glocks or Rugers. You go to see what the market has. To find the treasures buried deep.

I got one at the last show, a pre-lock Smith 649 for $400. I also found a Sig jacket for the paltry some of $40.00, it was even my size.:D

My brother picked up an early '80s M1A and 15 mags for $1,500.00.

This young lady found a potentially 4-5K dollar gun for $350.00=>View From The Porch: Gun show find...

She even told you about other deals that were at the last 1500=>View From The Porch: If you're going to the Indy 1500...

You have to put in work. Too many gun owners think they should be given a gun for walking into a gun show. It must be an offshoot of the "something for nothing" pop culture that the media has bred.

You have to know what you are talking about. Price is nothing but information. If you have no clue about the market other than what you see at GunMart, then you shouldn't be going to gun shows expecting to do any good--you are unarmed.

Study, work, get organized. Funny how the more you put in, the more you get out. It's like a life lesson or something.:D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Surely you are joking. Have you seen the prices of Smiths or Winchesters recently? By the ghost of Henry Hazlitt, why do you think one is able to find good deals on used guns and not new guns?

We've been over this time and time again. I think part of it is the lack of economics being taught in government schools and the entitlement mentality that sloshes over from the pop culture. I have no idea how many people walk into a gun show and expect to be given a gun. Must be over 50% of the attendees to judge by the whining.

"I paid me all of $13 I wants meye free gun."

You do not attend guns shows to gets you a mighty fine deal on a new Ruger or Glock.:rolleyes: What makes you think you would given the abolition of kitchen table FFLs? Do you think gun stores magically transport their inventory and have no overhead?:dunno:

Let's revisit a past gun show whinefest and where I drop (even more) knowledge on INGO: http://ingunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/28237-indy_1500_savings.html

I would refrain from trying to educate people on economics whom you don't know, nor their profession/level of education. That being said, as a private collector I monitor every online auction, local forum, and ad site DAILY and visit every local store in my area weekly to check out new inventory items whether used or new...I'm well aware of current market prices for most items and at this gun show I didn't see many deals on modern firearms outside of normal prices at local shops such as PSS which already often has the best prices in town.

Yes, as a business they need to make a profit but if they are selling their products above their equilibrium price, then they are set up for failure. Also, the 1500 is an opportunity to draw in more customers even while surrounded by competitors.....so it would be beneficial to lower prices slightly to attract the attention of potential clientelle. The majority of said stores, even at their "low" prices are considerably marked up and well let's face it, in this economy it doesn't matter if I have $100 or $10,000 to spend on my "toys" ...I, like most people, am going to find the best deal for my money regardless. All people like saving money, especially in this economy. So your rant is based on major assumptions of consumers and biased hatred of young society rather than "knowledge" as you claim. I know for a fact that one store made over 23k at the last 1500 and while NOT lowering their price from normal at all. So, imagine how many people more would want to buy from them if they made their prices competitive with all the other vendors under the same roof. They probably would have sold out of their on site inventory and made even more profit all while gaining more customers on a normal basis.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Agreed and repped.:yesway: A few LEO's knew about it and all he did was put a foam cover over them. I actually stopped and told him they were illegal but he told me they were legal for LEO's and military. I told him he was wrong and he told me I was wrong and for me to read the law again. :noway:
    I simply walked away thining what a idiot.

What EXACTLY type of knife is illegal? Are you referring to "switch-blade"/completely mechanical opening? I didn't see those....spring assists are legal correct??...I'm not as up to par with knife laws as I am firearms

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    A person claiming they didn't see the greatest deal or diamond in the rough is one thing. Claiming that a business is wrong in how they are selling is different. Why not sell at cost? Get more sales that way. Won't make money, though. On top of that there is not a set dealer pricing. Volume, volume, volume. Comparing Table A to Table B they could have the same price. Maybe Table B had his lowest price possible because he doesn't have as much volume.

So many variables on price that we do not see. I cannot guess how much they make because I do not know what they pay. I know what 1 shop buys for, but not the others. Overhead is a premium also. Money can hire the knowledgeable guy that you want to talk to. I try to keep an open mind, but like you I will look for the bargains.

And I will not drive all over town using up $30 in gas to save $15. But, I know some people still don't think about that.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    A person claiming they didn't see the greatest deal or diamond in the rough is one thing. Claiming that a business is wrong in how they are selling is different. Why not sell at cost? Get more sales that way. Won't make money, though. On top of that there is not a set dealer pricing. Volume, volume, volume. Comparing Table A to Table B they could have the same price. Maybe Table B had his lowest price possible because he doesn't have as much volume.

So many variables on price that we do not see. I cannot guess how much they make because I do not know what they pay. I know what 1 shop buys for, but not the others. Overhead is a premium also. Money can hire the knowledgeable guy that you want to talk to. I try to keep an open mind, but like you I will look for the bargains.

And I will not drive all over town using up $30 in gas to save $15. But, I know some people still don't think about that.

This is true, but you completely supported my entire point. People look for the best deal for their money that they can find. What a business prices their goods for is their concern, but the majority of people on sites such as this will be up to par on current pricing so when we talk about no deals it simply means that. There were no good deals, meaning nothing out of the ordinary. That isn't meant to bash local dealers, just simply that we wish there were more bargains to be had. The previous poster simply wanted to rant about his apparent further education on economics or something.

Either way, I buy the majority of my collection online simply because it saves me money. I do travel to each local store every week, just because new trades come in all the time and i've got the time to kill. I pay attention to all prices while I'm there though.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    What EXACTLY type of knife is illegal? Are you referring to "switch-blade"/completely mechanical opening? I didn't see those....spring assists are legal correct??...I'm not as up to par with knife laws as I am firearms

Yes automatic or switchblades (same thing) are illegal to anyone in this state . period. Also throwing stars. Just an FYI and yes there were 2 different vendors who had them on their tables with those signs up.
    One guy who was selling them told a customer he was a deputy so he could sell them.:noway:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    It was my first gun show! I'm not really a gun show guy. Even when I was into cars and hotrods I rarely ever went to car shows. I suffer greatly from overwhelm factor jadism. They all start to look the same after about 10 minutes.

I would go again but I'm sure glad I didn't burn my gas to get there.

Nice meeting OneShot and Brownie at the end!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yes automatic or switchblades (same thing) are illegal to anyone in this state . period. Also throwing stars. Just an FYI and yes there were 2 different vendors who had them on their tables with those signs up.
    One guy who was selling them told a customer he was a deputy so he could sell them.:noway:

Thanks. Wow...throwing stars are illegal now...lmao...you've got to be kidding me....but not throwing knives... another pointless law IMO so what are the laws regarding carrying a knife? As far as I have ever found/read there are no regulations on carrying a type of knife so long as it is a legal to own knife?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    throwing stars are illegal now

Have been for some time after the pilot episode of Kung Fu where the trainees are throwing stars at a wooden man (not a mook jong, but a wooden cut out of a man). Garage door, flea market stars, you get the idea.

IC 35-47-5-12
    "Chinese throwing star" defined; related offenses
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    a Chinese throwing star commits a Class C misdemeanor.
    (b) As used in this section, "Chinese throwing star" means a throwing-knife, throwing-iron, or other knife-like weapon with blades set at different angles.

As far as I have ever found/read there are no regulations on carrying a type of knife so long as it is a legal to own knife?

It depends. What do you mean by "regulations"?

There is nothing in the Indiana Code, but state and federal courthouses have their own rules. Some cities and towns have certain restrictions.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I remember buying throwing stars as a kid....anyhow....I mean legality of carrying fixed blades on you in the interest of self defense.....no law against it that i'm aware of...but I have been active for a while and things change

Top Bottom