• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Free float does not matter, but sling does.
    No monopodding on magazine allowed.

4 Stages to the course of fire:
    Standing 10 rounds in 2 minutes at 100 yards.
    Sitting 10 rounds in 55 seconds at 200 yards (includes a transition from standing and a mag swap)
    Prone 10 rounds in 65 seconds at 300 yards (includes a transition from standing and a mag swap)
    Prone 10 rounds in 5 minutes at 400 yards (counts double on test)

That's it.

What are the hit requirements for a "Rifleman?"

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Back in the day they gave you 40 rounds, scored 3s, 4s and 5s on a standard Repair Dog target, and gave you ten rounds per stage doubling the slow fire prone. the total possible score was 250 and expert was considered 210 or above. That is 80percent.

At Atterbury we will give you the 4 and 5 ring and just ask for 80% hits on that target from the same stages. The target can be seen in my previous post. It is 19.5 inches at the base. that picture was taken through a spotting scope obviously from 500 yards and they were YHJ's 500 yard sighter group. At that distance it is just under 4 MOA wide and 2.5 tall (?).

Just big enough to be fun and just small enough to be kinda tough.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Back in the day they gave you 40 rounds, scored 3s, 4s and 5s on a standard Repair Dog target, and gave you ten rounds per stage doubling the slow fire prone. the total possible score was 250 and expert was considered 210 or above. That is 80percent.

At Atterbury we will give you the 4 and 5 ring and just ask for 80% hits on that target from the same stages. The target can be seen in my previous post. It is 19.5 inches at the base. that picture was taken through a spotting scope obviously from 500 yards and they were YHJ's 500 yard sighter group. At that distance it is just under 4 MOA wide and 2.5 tall (?).

Just big enough to be fun and just small enough to be kinda tough.

Should be a fun challenge coming from the full size E types I'm used to!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    How did I miss this thread?

Hmm, I'm turning into an Appleseed KD junkie and have done 3 days @ Atterbury & 1 @ Redbrush.

Doc was talking about me getting sunscreen in my eyes & not being able to see on the last AQT (or to drive home). I was doing pretty good with a 20" AR & iron sights so you don't *have* to use a scoped gun. JVE was talking about my non-free floated 14.5" ACOG equipped AR too so don't count out the shorter barrel guns either.

I can't seem to shoot rifleman with a .22 but got it done 3x at KDs using these:
    IMAG0284.jpg

I'll need to check my schedule for this one.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Dec 2, 2009
    Scopes are not encouraged/discouraged. Just know the ins and outs of whatever resides on top of your rifle.

I think it's been a fair balance of irons and glass at Atterbury (the ones I've attended).

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies

Hmm, I'm turning into an Appleseed KD junkie and have done 3 days @ Atterbury & 1 @ Redbrush.

Doc was talking about me getting sunscreen in my eyes & not being able to see on the last AQT (or to drive home). I was doing pretty good with a 20" AR & iron sights so you don't *have* to use a scoped gun. JVE was talking about my non-free floated 14.5" ACOG equipped AR too so don't count out the shorter barrel guns either.

I can't seem to shoot rifleman with a .22 but got it done 3x at KDs using these:
    IMAG0284.jpg

Sharp rifles! I think it's easier to shoot full distance AQT's with AR15 than 25 meter AQT's with .22. Don't know why, just seems easier.

zoglog

Expert
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I will already be at Atterbury for AT, so I am super excited to be signed up for my first appleseed! I got confirmation from RWVA, but havent received anything about my serial number yet, and that was 3 days ago. Any ideas?

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I will already be at Atterbury for AT, so I am super excited to be signed up for my first appleseed! I got confirmation from RWVA, but havent received anything about my serial number yet, and that was 3 days ago. Any ideas?

The Serial number is what Appleseed needs from you for the rifle you intend to use. This needs to be on the form in case Gate guard inspects your vehicle. no firearms allowed on base except for the rifle you give the SN for.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    Zoglog - What is the issue specifically? You don't have the SN? You don't know where to send it? You have not been issued a rifle for the event?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Atterbury as your 1st Appleseed is jumping into the really deep end of the pool. I drug my brother in law out there for his 1st and gave him as much info as I could but it was still pretty tough for a 1st timer.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012

IMAG0284.jpg

Looks to me like its time for irons.

boljr01 - Assume nothing. You don't need a scope for this. Irons do fine.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield

I just went through the in box and responded to all. If we got your info, you should have gotten a response now. Folks been busy, thanks for kicking us :)

YHJ

IndyND

Plinker
    Apr 18, 2013
    I have read and talked about appleseed as I am planning to get to one myself before I bring the kids. Since I have never been to one, this thread has been very informative (but of course I still have questions). Are first timers discouraged from this particular event? Obviously there is an emphasis on centerfire at this event, but could .22lr or .17 hmr be used as a primary or back up? Thanks.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    A .17 could be a viable back up I would think. I have shot a .17 at distance and it is just fine as long as it it isn't windy. If it turns out to be a windy day you will most likely struggle to figure out the dope for the wind. I know I did. Is it optimal no but is it doable yes.

zoglog

Expert
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    The Serial number is what Appleseed needs from you for the rifle you intend to use. This needs to be on the form in case Gate guard inspects your vehicle. no firearms allowed on base except for the rifle you give the SN for.

Thanks, I drill at Atterbury and my unit is responsible for its upkeep. When I registered I also had to send the serial number to someone at Appleseed. I was told that I would get a response in 48 hours.

I am not mad at appleseed, I understand that they are busy, I was just getting nervous. It is all worked out now tho!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I have read and talked about appleseed as I am planning to get to one myself before I bring the kids. Since I have never been to one, this thread has been very informative (but of course I still have questions). Are first timers discouraged from this particular event? Obviously there is an emphasis on centerfire at this event, but could .22lr or .17 hmr be used as a primary or back up? Thanks.

This event is open to anyone, no previous experience needed. As far as a 22lr or 17HMR, please don't. This is a centerfire event. While a 22lr or 17HMR may work and a good rifleman could dope them even in a 10mph wind, it will be more intensive than we would like. Too time consuming. Besides, we are providing FREE CENTERFIRE AMMO.

YHJ

Top Bottom