IN-GO CHAPEL!
    IN-GO CHAPEL!
    IN-GO CHAPEL!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I love it when folk throw the judgment scripture in Christians face as an argument for conversation, based around observation.

Who is being judgmental?

See post #5:
    It says more about them and their insecurity than it does of our faith.

By definition...

Judgment (or judgement[1]) is the evaluation of evidence in the making of a decision. The term has three distinct uses:

***SNIP***

You mean like in that other thread where it is agreed that the sign was right and all "deserve hell."

According to the very scriptures Christians profess to believe in that's not your (generic "your", I didn't follow that other thread far enough to see if you personally made that particular claim) call to make.

It appears at first to be a coversation winner, but it is really just a weak way of saying, I don't like what you have observed about my statement, so there.

Nice rationalization.

But actually, all I was doing with my own quotes was simply responding to one quote with a set of other quotes to show that even using the very Bible Christians profess to believe in it's not as cut and dried as Expat would believe it to be.

One could just as easily say, How can you see the splinter in my eye through the plank in yours?

That works both ways.

But the OP's point is easily recognized. Why so much Christian hate? It's plain and simple spitefulness on the day we celebrate our Saviors Resurrection.

Or maybe, in at least some cases, its because of people getting tired of folk like you attributing motives like the above to people who simply believe differently than you do.

In fact the OP of that thread actually stated himself that his whole purpose was to draw a direct attack to Christian on their day. :rolleyes:

How would you feel if some Asatru came on here come December 21 and said that it was "sad really" that there were people here who didn't believe in the might of Odin on Yule, the holy day of Odin and who even mocked it by adapting the Rites into their own religious observance?

Folks who are not Christian run into this "sad really" concept all the time. And when we try to explain why we don't believe in your concept of God, we run into the "insecurity" bit quite frequently too. This from a religion that preaches love not just to its own but to everyone:

You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor and hate your enemy." But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48)

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. 31A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. 32So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 33But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. 34He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. 35The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'

"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"

The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him."
    Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."(Luke 10:25-37 To fully understand this one, you have to remember the way Samaritans were reviled in that place and time.)

Not all Christians are like that but, unfortunately, the one's who aren't are all too often willing to let the one's who are go unchecked.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ... I was responding to the "it's their insecurity" comment.
    My comment stands. It was also in reference to specific posts that were clearly mocking and attacking those that believe in God, yesterday, on Easter - as per the start of the thread. If you are not one of those, then it does not refer to you.
    I'll gladly discuss my faith with someone that is interested in hearing about it. Otherwise, I do not. This thread started with a reference to those openly mocking and attacking, not to a lively intelligent debate.
    One choose any people group and find people they like or dislike being around. Christians and atheists are no no different. The point is that of late the attacks are intentional toward Christians.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My comment stands. It was also in reference to specific posts that were clearly mocking and attacking those that believe in God, yesterday, on Easter - as per the start of the thread. If you are not one of those, then it does not refer to you.
    I'll gladly discuss my faith with someone that is interested in hearing about it. Otherwise, I do not. This thread started with a reference to those openly mocking and attacking, not to a lively intelligent debate.
    One choose any people group and find people they like or dislike being around. Christians and atheists are no no different. The point is that of late the attacks are intentional toward Christians.

Your "comment" may stand but the belief that you are gifted with mind-reading powers to see into the motives of others is, from where I sit, nothing more than hubris.

And if it's not mind reading but simply the only reason you can think of, well, that' speaks to a lack of imagination on your part rather than any correctness of the imputed reason.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Three things that will always cause an argument:

Religion!! (My god can kick your god's butt, mine is the true god, there is only one god, there is no god.)

Politics!! (Liberal, liberal, Deocrat, Republican, Libertarian, libertarian, Leftwing, Rightwing)

Women!! (They're always right ask your wife, mom, girlfriend, sister, aunt, neighbor they will tell you so.)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Yep, and then the person who was offended because someone made fun of Jesus starting telling others to lick his b***s because they said he drives a Dodge. Kind of hard to take the high ground from there in my opinion.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    My comment stands. It was also in reference to specific posts that were clearly mocking and attacking those that believe in God, yesterday, on Easter - as per the start of the thread.

Here is the thread in question: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/84761-best_zombie_day_evar.html

Maybe somebody can explain to me what the big deal is!?!

NOTE: Please see how the hollier than thou attitude expressed goes quickly from "you are mocking my religion" to "lick my balls"... Now, I find that offensive, but the OP... not so much.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep, and then the person who was offended because someone made fun of Jesus starting telling others to lick his b***s because they said he drives a Dodge. Kind of hard to take the high ground from there in my opinion.

That was the biggest chuckle I've had so far today. It's quotes like that one that keep me coming back to the break room!

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Come on Eddie, be real. If one "Christian" says something out of taste (when poked in the chest.) are ALL tossed in the same boat.

DBurkhead, no mind reading required. Again, this is referring to specific posts, not all posts, not all posts by "atheists".

If I chose to make a joke about say, Mohammad on a Muslim holiday or holy day, I would deserve some rebuke and be a first class JERK. Does not require any mind reading, just common sense decency. Doesn't mean I support the Muslim's beliefs, but I do respect the person. That is why I say those types of posts say something about the type of person making the post.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Come on Eddie, be real. If one "Christian" says something out of taste (when poked in the chest.) are ALL tossed in the same boat.

I didn't say all. I just find it ironic that the OP took offense to what Dustjunky wrote but then told someone else to lick his b***s when they said he drove a Dodge. I'm sure that most Christians don't go around getting offended and telling others to lick their testes over choice of vehicle issues.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    OK... This is all in reference to "one post" (i've already linked to it twice)... Can SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN what is so offensive about this post??? If not, you can all lick my nutz! (I've got some seasoned almonds).

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Here is the thread in question: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/84761-best_zombie_day_evar.html

Maybe somebody can explain to me what the big deal is!?!

NOTE: Please see how the hollier than thou attitude expressed goes quickly from "you are mocking my religion" to "lick my balls"... Now, I find that offensive, but the OP... not so much.
    :+1:

Isn't that the proper response???

Catholic mass you turn shake your neighbors hand and say "Christ be with you." and he/she responds "Lick my balls!!"..

Isn't that normal.:laugh:

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I didn't say all. I just find it ironic that the OP took offense to what Dustjunky wrote but then told someone else to lick his b***s when they said he drove a Dodge. I'm sure that most Christians don't go around getting offended and telling others to lick their testes over choice of vehicle issues.

I assumed he meant Baseballs, it is that season. I had no idea he meant his man parts..:)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

DBurkhead, no mind reading required. Again, this is referring to specific posts, not all posts, not all posts by "atheists".

The mind reading comes not from commenting on the content of the posts. It comes from your attributing specific motives to the posts.

If I chose to make a joke about say, Mohammad on a Muslim holiday or holy day, I would deserve some rebuke and be a first class JERK. Does not require any mind reading, just common sense decency. Doesn't mean I support the Muslim's beliefs, but I do respect the person. That is why I say those types of posts say something about the type of person making the post.

It might make you a Jerk but would it necessarily mean that you were doing it because you were insecure in your Christian beliefs? That's what I was getting at.

I'm not saying that mocking the Christian Religion on Easter was a good thing to do. While I don't believe in the Christian Religion (and, in fact, don't believe in any religion that tries to put Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnibenevolence, Eternal Punishment, and the real world into the same being) and will explain why if anyone is interested I try to avoid mocking beliefs. I may think that the beliefs lead to an irreconcilable contradiction but can accept that folk can take it as an article of faith that said contradictions can actually be reconciled. I may think they are wrong but "wrong" and "bad", or even "worthy of mockery" are not the same thing.

However, I'm only human, and after enough time of hearing my beliefs mocked and put down by Christians I find sometimes that the tendency to respond in kind--sometimes to someone who is not the guilty party but who just happens to be handy when my annoyance level reaches critical--gets the better of me. I'm not justifying it, just pointing out that I'm not perfect either.

OTOH one would expect Christians who supposedly believe in love and forgiveness would be willing to accept and deal with that kind of human failing with a minimum of self-righteousness.

OTGH I also recognize that just like everyone else Christians are human too and can fall into the same human failings as everyone else, including the failing of snapping back because their own buttons have been pushed one time too many.

Personally, I think that if there is a God and there is a "Heaven" and "other place" (filters would probably censor the other's correct name) that most people will end up being quite surprised at who ends up in one place or the other.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Personally, I think that if there is a God and there is a "Heaven" and "other place" (filters would probably censor the other's correct name) that most people will end up being quite surprised at who ends up in one place or the other.

Reminds me of a quote:

The sins of the flesh are bad, but they are the least bad of all sins. All the worst pleasures are purely spiritual: the pleasure of putting other people in the wrong, of bossing and patronising and spoiling sport, and back-biting; the pleasures of power, of hatred. For there are two things inside me, competing with the human self which I must try to become. They are the Animal self, and the Diabolical self. The Diabolical self is the worse of the two. That is why a cold, self-righteous prig who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute. But, of course, it is better to be neither.
    -- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom