• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I don't recall ever feeling like I made > 100k a year. Maybe I was just too self-centered when I served and actually was fairly well off. I will have to ponder that a while.

You are correct, you never made over $100,000 per year. The figure that was quoted about was the total compensation, not pay. When you factor in all of the benefits that you received in addition to your salary the figure is much higher.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I remember this being brought up in the early 90s. We were told that the benefit was not being used and the money could be used in other areas. The increase in solders taking classes stopped the discussion and all was fine. I wonder how many soldiers are using the benefit today? Hopefully, more will sign up for classes and the same will happen this time.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I know that I will take some heat for this comment, but I'm prepared for it.

It's a good thing that the military won't be paying for college tuition in the future. Even though we can all find a cause far less worthy of our tax dollars than military tuition like illegal immigrants, food stamps, cell phones for the poor it still is an expense we shouldn't have. Members of the military and veterans are still going to receive lots of high dollar benefits without tuition assistance. Everyone seems to oppose government handouts unless it goes to the military. Our armed forces are a massive expense that this nation simply cannot bear any longer.

EVERYTHING in this country needs its budget reduced, including the military. We simply can't keep acting like our armed forces are some sacred group that are unquestionably worthy of unlimited funds.

When you consider housing, tax free shopping, child care, physical fitness facilities, healthcare, and the numerous other benefits that members of the military receive, they are not underpaid. In 2005 the Government Accountability Office estimated that the average compensation for active duty service members was $115,500 per year.

Take a look at this article from the CATO Institute that breaks down their true pay: The Pay Gap Myth | Cato Institute

How's this flame you jerk off. Spend the next 12-18 months away from your wife and kids. Miss the first steps. Miss the first word. Miss the first bike ride. Miss the first kiddie pool. Miss high school graduation, miss countless anniversaries. Miss prom, miss meeting the first boy/girlfriend. Try repairing a busted water faucet in your house over the phone with your wife turning wrenches and talking at the same time. Try congratulating your kid on being accepted to the national honor society over a ****ty phone line. Try coaching your kid in sports over a phone, not being there when their team gets crushed or, when they win big. Try missing you oldest kids Senior game. Try missing when they are elected to Home Coming court and you have to ask your brother to act in your stead because you're unable to be there. Every day away from our families is a day we NEVER get back.

I have been in 24 years now and make $46k per year. So put that in your $115k/yr pipe and smoke it!

How about taking out the O7 and up pay from that chart and see what the average really is for the guys out here doing the ****?

People like you make me sick, just ****ing sick. Prolly the first one to step up for a damned wetback getting special treatment while ****ting on a US Serviceman.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I know that I will take some heat for this comment, but I'm prepared for it.

When you consider housing, tax free shopping, child care, physical fitness facilities, healthcare, and the numerous other benefits that members of the military receive, they are not underpaid.

Take a look at this article from the CATO Institute that breaks down their true pay: The Pay Gap Myth | Cato Institute

Housing? Housing sucks! We get private-public venture now which is military owned/civilian run housing. It's a scam and rips off the military mbr.

Tax free shopping? Seriously? The prices at the exchange are just as much, if not more than on the outside. Figure a 10% tax rate, wow! Really saving a TON of money there! Same goes for the Commissary.

We PAY for child are you ill-informed troglodyte. We PAY for it with no compensation!

Physical fitness centers. What does a gym cost a month? $25? Now when it's a REQUIREMENT of the job to be physically fit to go fight wars, don't you think it's in Uncle Sam's best interest to provide gyms? Duh.......

Healthcare? Seriously you are beyond deluded! I have to schedule having the FLU two weeks in advance so I can get a ****ing Motrin! I am currently dealing with a broken neck and a broken hand that take WEEKS to get appointments for. The physical therapy for my neck took FOUR months to get the paperwork done!

Still not sure WTF you mean by "numerous other benefits" military people receive. Pease let me know!

Losing TA is huge to us! Especially when I see all the wasted dollars Bobo the Clown spends sending his Sasquatch all over the country with their two.....offspring. Or how much he spends on golf trips, ever see how much fuel a 747 and 3 C-5As burn? Not too mention all e people needed to crew them and his retinue get paid?

At least we are getting more out of TA than Bobo gets out of golf lessons with Tiger Woods.

Do the USA a favor, stay the **** over in Thailand and STFU.

That is all.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Well that was my first reaction but thanks for actually saying it Sainte.

Np man but I will prolly be the one to catch **** for it, but DILLIGAF.....

Turns my stomach to see dip****s like that talk crap about stuff they know absolutely nothing about. You know, service, sacrifice, duty, honor. Stupid **** like that.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    Oh come on Sainte, you know that government furniture in those way over priced base houses is a benefit ;) Or how about when the letter from wife explains the good news that you qualify for assistance so you get milk, cheese and peanut butter. Ya that was an awesome benefit. Or maybe having to take turns with body armor cause you hadn't received your full allotment yet, that was particularly exciting benefit. Oh I know, maybe it is letting you put on your own scrape metal trying to make a humvee something closer to armored. It was like living life as a royalty I tell ya.

I cant imagine we will get any real answer to these questions, it is clearly nonsense spouted by folks that have no idea what it is like.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Very true my friend. They have no clue what life is like living somewhere exotic where everyone wants to kill you for their religion of peace or, a nickel.

They have no idea what it's like going places that you can't even tell your wife about or, writing "the letter". You see it in movies all the time and think it cliche until you have to actually try to put into words everything in your heart and soul. Then feel guilty because there's always that "one thing" you forgot to write in your letter to her just in case.....

On a lighter note, I remember my first piece of "stick furniture" ( that's govt procured furniture for you civilians ). It was a busted old Vietnam era cot. One end was broken so that my feet hung off the end. It was made of nylon so all thru the night it made you sweat. Every time I turned or moved, it made this God-awful noise that woke me. I also had a wooden chair and a wooden milk crate to eat off for my kitchen table. Ya. Lazy-boy ain't got nuttin on that!

But hey, Just remember, A-holes and opinions I guess......

Last edited:

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Housing? Housing sucks! ...

Tax free shopping? Seriously?...

Physical fitness centers...

Healthcare? Seriously you are beyond deluded!...

Still not sure WTF you mean by "numerous other benefits" military people receive. Pease let me know!

If you don't know what these numerous benefits are I suggest you take a look at: Benefits Home

Losing TA is huge to us! Especially when I see all the wasted dollars Bobo the Clown spends sending his Sasquatch all over the country with their two.....offspring.
    At least we are getting more out of TA than Bobo gets out of golf lessons with Tiger Woods.

I'm glad your opposed to the government forcing me to hand over my hard earned money to pay for the Presidents fancy lifestyle, but are O.K. with forcing me to pay for the perks you get. Everyone is always against others getting things from the government, but never themselves.

You may not be pleased with your benefits, or even take advantage of them all, but you still have the option to receive them. Many people in the private sector would love to get military style benefits.

I wasn't just making the benefit number up off of the top of my head. The Pentagon, Congressional Budget Office, Center for Naval Analyses, and the Government Accountability Office all estimate military benefits reach six figures.

Do the USA a favor, stay the **** over in Thailand and STFU.

That is all.

I'll stop giving my opinion and complaining about how my tax dollars are used as soon as the government stops taking my money.

NiDanHeno

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    New Palestine, IN
    I would suggest that those that want all of these so called "perks" as you call them should strap it on and take one for the team. Much like those serving do everyday. I gotta tell ya jdmack, not sure if it is balls or stupidity but good for you for speaking up. As much as I appreciate that, maybe you could find some place else that conscripts their fighting force it would be much cheaper and we are would be a bit happier eh? Oh wait maybe your a all for the draft guy, ya i doubt that... Of course it is insane suggestion, so is talking about perks for guys that put it all on the line as something the private sector also deserves. Or are you saying neither deserves them? Good grief man. Are teachers also over paid? Cops? Is it about who is 'entitled' to those so called perks? I love the fact that you point out a link to benefits ya we know what benefits are offered we are pointing and laughing at you for considering them excessive.

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    No one is forcing you. Renounce your citizenship to the USA and become a citizen of Thailand. There, you no longer have to worry about supporting my "extravagant" lifestyle with all it's included perks.....

Sainte

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    Going to bed in my king sized, govt provided entitlement cot.

Cheerio!

Oh dang, I forgot to move the mint from my pillow before I laid down....

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    George Orwell once said "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." What many civilians fail to understand is that they would not be able to live their lives relatively free from violence without the sacrifice made by the nations servicemembers. Everything we have as Americans was provided by GOD and the American Soldier. I find it quite a shame that the Soldier is also the person asked to sacrifice more of himself while many in this country have sacrificed nothing. The Soldier is a working man and earns what he is given by the federal government unlike a vast majority of recipients.:twocents:

Last edited:

BustaN3T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    This is not a good thing...my son who is in the Army Reserves and currently in Afghanistan, when he is in the states he attends Florida State University...he is on his final year of college when he returns...and not having tuition assistance is going to hurt...ALOT
    Myself who has served his 20 years was given the opportunity for TA...what other options are there for thos who are serving...GI Bill...yea right...And for those who are dogging the "Perks", there are other options, i.e. get out. I have lived in both Government Housing and "Off Base", why are you going to look a gift horse in the mouth...if you live on base what ar your expenses, besides cable, internet, and phone. If you live Off Base they give thats right give you extra funds HOLA and COLA...Benefits...I pay $0 for health insurance...tricare is provided to militart members...Yea the PX or AAFEES is not the best, but hey dont knock it....I am climbing off my soap box..

Last edited:

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    My son is in the process of enlisting... He want's to serve and have a way to pay for college.

I don't know... if I was him and TA would not be a part of the package? I would have to look for better opportunities elsewhere... OR... Is this exactly how they plan on reducing the Military? Just cut any and all incentive's to serve your country? Now they won't have to "Reduce" the Military... It's going to do it all by itself.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    My son is in the process of enlisting... He want's to serve and have a way to pay for college.

I don't know... if I was him and TA would not be a part of the package? I would have to look for better opportunities elsewhere... OR... Is this exactly how they plan on reducing the Military? Just cut any and all incentive's to serve your country? Now they won't have to "Reduce" the Military... It's going to do it all by itself.

Everybody knows that TA is not the same thing as the GI Bill benefit that pays for college right? The are not changing that.

The move will suspend financial assistance for soldiers who take classes in their off-duty time after work and on the weekends.

It will not affect G.I. Bill benefits that pay for soldiers to attend college.

I agree it's still a cut, but some here think it's all college money. It's not.

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    Everybody knows that TA is not the same thing as the GI Bill benefit that pays for college right? The are not changing that.

The move will suspend financial assistance for soldiers who take classes in their off-duty time after work and on the weekends.

Well good, We'll have to look into this with the recruiter.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Good point it is not the same TA usually amounts to about 5K per year, not a lot but enough to really make a difference to a young soldier. The bad thing is this is usally touted as a recruitment tool for the guard and the reserves and to take it away is just wrong. In the reserves you don't get much to begin with besides your weekend drill pay. I can get Tricare but it is 200.00 per month for family and dental is around 80.00. I'm glad to pay that however because it is cheaper than most and is good insurance. Being in the guard and reserve is not what it was just ten years ago, now you are actually expected to do your job and to have to actually sacrifice. I've been gone about four years out of the last eight on mobilizations and especially in the guard there are those who have been on multiple deployments overseas now. The days of going to the woods and drinking beer for your two weeks in the summer are long gone. TA is a small price to pay for sending young troops on multiple deployments and often interfering and delaying their schooling at the very least.

Top Bottom