"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I also totally understand WHY a mom, dad, parent, or guardian would post that flyer.

I also understand why it would likely not produce the desired result. Assuming, of course, that the desired result is an increase in safety for that child. I could be wrong.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Assuming, of course, that the desired result is an increase in safety for that child. I could be wrong.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this is not her first go-round in the "I know better than you how you should act" circus.

...I could be wrong, but I'm not.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    As to the first, I think we HAVE to assume the parent is doing that already, and has always done that. And will do that even with these signs, because - as we all know - you can't trust people.

Why wouldn't you go to the next step? Afraid of pissing someone off? If it reduces the chances of poisoning your kid by 1%, is the potential embarrassment too much?

Why would I?

And, why would you think I have the position I have because I'm afraid of pissing someone off?

Why do you think I wouldn't shame-post just to avoid embarrassment?

When I contemplate what I would do if I were in that position, trying to bend the world to meet my needs would never make it to the list of options. That's just a foreign concept. I was raised to understand that the world is what it is and that I need to work within the realities that are.

That is foundational to the concept of individualism. So I'm going to tend to interpret other people's actions within my own world view. I think GPIA is exactly right, that demanding the 99.4% of the world change its behavior for just 0.6% of the population is not taking responsibility for her child's needs, it's delegating responsibility to society.

But I do understand within today's society why this mom would think it's a thing to do. Understanding why people do absurd things don't make it any less absurd.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay, here's a compromise. I think it's fair to inform people that 0.6% of the population has peanut allergies (notwithstanding that 3x that number self-report peanut allergies).

So maybe these moms can get candy makers to provide free pins that indicate peanut allergy. Kids with peanut allergies can wear the pin on their costumes, and then treaters can give "safe" candy to the kids who have the pin. As BBaJ says, some people will comply, some won't, so parents will still need to inspect the candy anyway. But doing that might make more of the night's take enjoyable for the kid.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Okay, here's a compromise. I think it's fair to inform people that 0.6% of the population has peanut allergies (notwithstanding that 3x that number self-report peanut allergies).

So maybe these moms can get candy makers to provide free pins that indicate peanut allergy. Kids with peanut allergies can wear the pin on their costumes, and then treaters can give "safe" candy to the kids who have the pin. As BBaJ says, some people will comply, some won't, so parents will still need to inspect the candy anyway. But doing that might make more of the night's take enjoyable for the kid.

I'd be down with that. You should start a foundation. Get some endorsements. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Let's look at things, which may be familiar, other than peanuts. Where does your mind go whenever some nitwit perpetrates a mass shooting in a GFZ? Do you "feel" that everyone that has the tool to do so should be punished or shamed? I can say with some certainty that I'm not going to go shoot up a preschool myself, but why should my tools be taken from me just because someone else would?

I LIKE peanuts, and many children do, as well. I don't know whether this is all due to GMOs or high fructose corn syrup or these are just the kids that would have died 100 years ago without adequate explanation, and we've learned enough to keep them alive to adulthood. It's great she wants her son to feel as normal as possible, but let's not have the bullying and hostility, shall we (I can imagine where she'll stand on that, never being sufficiently self aware to see the irony)? Her son is different, and it's down to her to deal with that. I have enough on my plate (and some of it has peanuts in) but just tell me not to, and I won't serve him up a big plate of Kung Pao Chicken. I won't even ask why.

M'lady has some serious food allergies, including nuts and eggs, and they were adult onset, so we've kinda missed out on early exposure. She doesn't mind if I have eggs, and she'd even cook them for me. I help her watch out for things, and I've got pretty good at finding them, but I'd feel a right tosser putting up a sign like that, and I'll have to say, if I saw it I'd have some hostility to work through.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'd be down with that. You should start a foundation. Get some endorsements. :)

Well, I was kinda serious kinda joking.

It may be of help and let the people have some way of helping. I would probably participate.

But, I can't help thinking of the likely result. We'd see at least 1 out of 5 trick-or-treaters wearing the pin even though only 0.6% actually have peanut allergies. The helicopter moms won't want to take a chance that their kid might have peanut allergies so they'll put the pin on them just to be on the safe side. Other moms will pin it on their kids just so they can be special too.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I read a book one time called "May Contain Nuts" which pointed out some of these absurdities, although unfortunately it didn't snap the author back to reality. The titular scene involved some parents, at least one pair of which were treating their son as if he was allergic to peanuts just in case he might be. The term "may contain nuts" was imprinted on a package of... nuts.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, but I wonder why KKK? Why not pedophiles or something more current.

Race is a bigger/easier blanket to stir people up with. The commenters on the release (on facebook) took it at face value, and screamed about how these people need to be locked up and voted out based on this (without evidence).

Sort of funny how it all works that way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom