"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Mad cow? Yeah, we have that here, too.

1miqdy.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ho. Lee. ****.

All the more reason to avoid the open-mic style games with strangers. I know it can be a blast (did some of those in ArmA) but maaaan... it just ain't worth it at this point.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yep...they did it knowing the force that could be brought to bear. The people responsible for initiating the call should have the book thrown at them.

Man **** this ****. This is homicide, and we can argue about the degree.

One call of duty player threatened to call a fake swat team report on another. The other gave a false address. The swat was called.

Swat arrive, get in position. Man walks out the door, police kill him.

Man killed by police; online gaming community blames 'swatting' | The Wichita Eagle

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think that's (what would be called in Indiana) Involuntary Manslaughter or Reckless Homicide. If you intentionally create a dangerous situation and someone gets killed, there's criminal culpability.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ho. Lee. ****.

All the more reason to avoid the open-mic style games with strangers. I know it can be a blast (did some of those in ArmA) but maaaan... it just ain't worth it at this point.

I don't use my mic because I want to maintain the illusion that I'm female. :):

Unfortunately, here's a case where children, who are incapable of fully understanding the consequences, got a hold of a figurative loaded gun.

They also don't understand, "It's only a game."

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't use my mic because I want to maintain the illusion that I'm female. :):

Unfortunately, here's a case where children, who are incapable of fully understanding the consequences, got a hold of a figurative loaded gun.

They also don't understand, "It's only a game."

I disagree. I am liberal on a lot of issues, but this isn't one of them. "Children" today are far more savvy and streetsmart than they were 60 years ago. They are very knowledgeable in exactly what swatting is and the potential consequences of it. It has been reported hundreds of times and the gaming community especially is aware of its potential consequences. That they knew enough to swat indicates a knowledge of swatting itself. Just search Youtube for swatting and you can see dozens of videos of gamers getting swatted.

The kids who do the swatting are throwing a live hand grenade into someones home. The LEO's have been given extremely disturbing information that would set anyone off and feel the need to respond quickly to save a life. When something like this happens I wish for a very long time in a very small cell for those responsible in order to reflect upon their grossly negligent actions.

Regards and Happy New Year,

Doug

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, there's been enough chatter about swatting for a couple years now that any g4m3r is going to know about it, and the risks.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I disagree. I am liberal on a lot of issues, but this isn't one of them. "Children" today are far more savvy and streetsmart than they were 60 years ago. They are very knowledgeable in exactly what swatting is and the potential consequences of it. It has been reported hundreds of times and the gaming community especially is aware of its potential consequences. That they knew enough to swat indicates a knowledge of swatting itself. Just search Youtube for swatting and you can see dozens of videos of gamers getting swatted.

The kids who do the swatting are throwing a live hand grenade into someones home. The LEO's have been given extremely disturbing information that would set anyone off and feel the need to respond quickly to save a life. When something like this happens I wish for a very long time in a very small cell for those responsible in order to reflect upon their grossly negligent actions.

Doug

Bolded for agreement.

On one hand, kids are savvy, on the other hand kids are Millennials with no senses...

Regardless of the era, I don't think biology has changed, so I stand by my assertion that children's brains aren't fully formed. (how old is the kid in question here?)

Nevertheless, a heinous act has been committed and punishment must be meted.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel

Gamester 1: "100 Quatloos on the SWAT team."
    Gamester 2: "200 Quatloos on the innocent resident at the fake address."
    Gamester 3: "300 Quatloos on the SWATter spending some time up the river."

Children, whatever arbitrary age you use to define that state, are a huge variable. Some are perfectly mature and able to keep it together in this kind of situation at 12, some people never mature enough to live in polite society. I was in traffic with this guy that just about blew his head gasket (not the one on the engine) because I wouldn't let him in ahead of me to move up one position in traffic to get pissed off at the next guy. That's the kind of scrotumneck that would SWAT someone, and he was an actual adult. It's like firearms; some kids can be trained for safety younger than others.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, knowing the effects of SWATTING and "knowing" the effects of SWATTING are two different things.

Knowing the police could show up and shoot someone is different than the knowledge that goes with that. That a person will never come back. The effect on loved ones. Etc. That is abstract knowledge for many, and requires seasoning before it can sink in.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It's like a lot of people's ideas of fighting and/or guns.
    They see tv, and "know" how a fight is. And they can kick anyone's ass.
    Then to be in a fight, get your nose broken, and have a dozen hard kidney punches land, now you KNOW what it's like.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Doug

I agree in part. Gamer 1 definitely needs a long vacation at the Gray Bar Hotel for swatting. Gamer 2 also deserves punishment for giving Gamer 1 a false address knowing what he intended to do. Where we disagree is that I fail to see any justification for the police officer who pulled the trigger. Put this in perspective: A SWAT team shows up at someone's house on an anonymous tip and shoots a man for having the audacity to open his front door with no 'intent' to do anything but discover WTF is going on in front of his house. I see a problematic lack of any attempt to verify that there was indeed a problem situation before firing. Are the police the only people in the English-speaking world who have apparently never heard of swatting?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom