"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Jackson paid off the National Debt and fought to destroy National banks.

He was also instrumental in winning the War of 1812, which we were losing quite badly at the time.

It's kind of ironic that this face is on fiat currency that he fought so hard to abolish.

He was a jerk and killed lots of Indians, but this was at a time in the country where nearly everyone regarding Indians as hostile enemies, and being a jerk was admirable. Different times...

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I've read about all those harmless, peaceful, defenseless Indians. :n00b:

So in the end, they were tricked and a bunch died at the hands of the white man but before it came to that, what the Indians did was just- "some people who did something".

Meanwhile, let's wipe all the history books and internet to only focus on the evil things the whitey has done because that's what we need to push to bring this country together and not divide. Well, unless you're white because you're racist anyway and don't matter.

I think I'm seeing a pattern here...... :rolleyes:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Add County Line and Emerson Kroger to the list of places that are full of ****. Saying "it's the law" that they have to scan your ID for age restricted items.

My usual Kroger now saying they have to scan the ID. Cashier put up a bit of a stink about all stores changing to scanning the ID, including CVS, and others... and that typing the date manually will be disabled.

She says liquor stores will do that, too... but she's also just a Kroger cashier, and probably doesn't know everything.

Aside from making my own alcohol... it seems some legislation needs to swoop in and tell these businesses they can't refuse a purchase based on the unwillingness to give up more information than is required for the purchase.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My usual Kroger now saying they have to scan the ID. Cashier put up a bit of a stink about all stores changing to scanning the ID, including CVS, and others... and that typing the date manually will be disabled.

She says liquor stores will do that, too... but she's also just a Kroger cashier, and probably doesn't know everything.

Aside from making my own alcohol... it seems some legislation needs to swoop in and tell these businesses they can't refuse a purchase based on the unwillingness to give up more information than is required for the purchase.

talk to a manager. When I’ve gotten pushback the cashier was butthurt her overall scanning numbers would be hurt. Lower numbers = lower performance review results.

i put a target paster over my barcode so they had no choice.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You could go to Meijer... for many reasons.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Meijer is the first place I encountered that refused to sell alcohol without scanning ID. One on Southport, at least.

Maybe I should stop drinking.

The only time Ive had anyone flatly refuse to continue the transaction was putting cash on a gift card. CVS didnt have the option to enter the info manually. Had to scrape my privacy sticker off the back to proceed. At least that instance (fraud prevention) was somewhat reasonable. But alcohol? F*** THAT! AND the horse they rode in on!

I've pissed off my fair share of cashiers, but have yet to encounter any militant enough to refuse the transaction. Now I'm on a quest to find one. I LOVE arguing in these instances.

Typically "That barcode and all the data on it is of no consequence to [name of store] for an age verification. Everything you need is right there on the front to type in on your keypad. And if you had simply not argued with me and typed in my DOB, I'd be walking through that exit over there (checks watch) abouuuuuuut NOW.You are welcome to type in my DOB or call a manager. Your choice. I'm sure the nice people in line behind me would prefer the former. " ends the discussion typically.

And Jetta, Meijer is the WORST for this and seem to have started the trend. I think they have to type it in twice to make sure its right. Its quite joyous when you have a cashier that has ginormous (2" past the tip of her finger) fake nails struggling to use the touch screen. :rolleyes: Fake nails for a touch screen cashier is like wearing stilettos as a waitress. Not too bright.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

As I recall, the readable fields in the 3d barcode contains the same information that's on the front of the card. There's an encrypted field that has other information. But, your name, dob, address, DL# are open. I'm sure they're collecting that and using it for marketing/data-mining. There are limitations on what information they can sell at least. But they can certainly aggregate all the information they collect and sell that. It's not just booze, they do it for tobacco as well.

If they all belong to the same industry associations you probably won't find many places that don't scan. I can see why they'd want to do it. They don't want to be fined for selling stuff to minors. But this is intrusive.

Maybe you could ask to see the manager and make him/her sign something that affirms that they're not collecting/storing/selling any PII data, and that it's just for age verification.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Meijer is the first place I encountered that refused to sell alcohol without scanning ID. One on Southport, at least.

Maybe I should stop drinking.

Either things are different there, or you look way younger than me.

Try wearing a tweed jacket, that always gets them to press the "over 40" button without looking at ID.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe you could ask to see the manager and make him/her sign something that affirms that they're not collecting/storing/selling any PII data, and that it's just for age verification.

That signature and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I Scanned the barcode myself. Everything you can read on the front is on that barcode. They don’t need to know that much to sell me booze.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That signature and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

I Scanned the barcode myself. Everything you can read on the front is on that barcode. They don’t need to know that much to sell me booze.

Dude, how are the going to maintain and update all of your marketing profiles without that information?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Either things are different there, or you look way younger than me.

Try wearing a tweed jacket, that always gets them to press the "over 40" button without looking at ID.

I'm full boat gray haired and I still get carded. I don't think many do the "over 40" thing around here anymore, at least for alcohol. Don't know if it's software (register makes them enter "something") or just store policy though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Huh. Picked up some bourbon at walmart today (wife took me there for some random junk, so made the best of it). Cashier only briefly glanced at my license, still in the wallet. No scanning, no typing of info. Heck, pretty sure she didn't even really look at it. As it should be.

Like we all know, this ID thing is feel-good legislation (and policies) for chumps. Checking ID never stopped a kid from getting alcohol illegally, just a background check never stopped a gang member from getting a firearm illegally.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Update: went to the Camby Meijer today with my requisite disabled barcode. Young cashier's disdain was barely noticeable as he looked at the back and then typed in the code twice after I told him "it wont scan" . (not my fault he cant do maths and hit the "over 40" button :dunno:)

Im going to email corporate tomorrow. I suspect the cashiers claiming they ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY MUST SCAN THE ID (*stomp, heel click, and offensive salute to the almighty Fred Meijer*) are simply under performing cashiers who need every last scan to keep their numbers up and think they simply cannot afford to not scan it or else they will be penalized. or individual store managers are not uniformly enforcing an edict. My curiosity has gotten the better of me and I just have to get word from on high now.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I grocery shop at Meijer every Saturday and get my case of beer while im there. The employees rarely (maybe 5% of the time) ask for my ID, to which I open my wallet and show them it. Its in one of those enclosed slots in the wallet. Ive never had them ask me to take it out to be scanned, and when they look at it they usually just hit the over 40 button instead on typing in the dob. :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom