"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    How to seem like you're doing something worthwhile, and have an 'accomplishment' you can point to, while not tackling ANY of the hard stuff. A Democratic/progressive specialty

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    How to seem like you're doing something worthwhile, and have an 'accomplishment' you can point to, while not tackling ANY of the hard stuff. A Democratic/progressive specialty
    In pursuit of unconstrained subjective morality.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Or we could get rid of the day altogether.

As I watch the basketball tourney, maybe we could let some huge corporation give a pile of money to the country (not Congress), and we'll name that day after them.

"This day off brought to you by Amazon--while you're sitting at home, buy something from them!"

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Because we wouldn't want to offend. :n00b:

New Mexico state Senate votes to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-mexi...lace-columbus-day-with-indigenous-peoples-day

We can discuss current mores and how they may have affected the "age of explorers" had they been in place at that time...but why?

People have been exploring, invading and conquering for a long, long time. Even in the "new world" before Columbus got here...and before the Vikings as well.

What happened, happened.

Great men are seldom perfect men. I have no issue with celebrating historical greatness.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It's not like all was sweetness and light before the Europeans got here. Tribal warfare was ongoing and serious, and many native communities were in a race to see who could get new, powerful allies among the "invaders" to help them against their tribal enemies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It's not like all was sweetness and light before the Europeans got here. Tribal warfare was ongoing and serious, and many native communities were in a race to see who could get new, powerful allies among the "invaders" to help them against their tribal enemies.
    That’s what I keep telling people who insist we contritely acknowledge that we took the land from native Americans. Well. Who did they take it from? Who had it first? How far down are we willing to go? I didn’t take it anyway.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    That’s what I keep telling people who insist we contritely acknowledge that we took the land from native Americans. Well. Who did they take it from? Who had it first? How far down are we willing to go? I didn’t take it anyway.

I visited the Jamestown Settlement park in Virginia a couple of years ago. One of the park rangers asked a group of people I was with who the land belonged to, the settlers or the Native Americans that they took it from? The crowd, naturally, all responded that it belonged to the Native Americans. He then explained that those particular Indians had only been there 3 years and had gotten the land by exterminating the tribe that had been there previously.

I don't know if any of it makes Columbus worth celebrating or not, that is a separate issue. However, attempting to assign "good guy" and "bad guy" hats to historical figures always tends to be messy if you spend any time at all studying history. It's like almost any issue, the more someone insists that they have the answers, the more likely it is that their confidence is simply an indication of their ignorance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't know if any of it makes Columbus worth celebrating or not, that is a separate issue. However, attempting to assign "good guy" and "bad guy" hats to historical figures always tends to be messy if you spend any time at all studying history. It's like almost any issue, the more someone insists that they have the answers, the more likely it is that their confidence is simply an indication of their ignorance.

Absolutely. The "good guys" of history are not always that good.

Look at the movie Free State of Jones. They seriously whitewashed Newton Knight as this righteous man. He apparently was anything but. But he did do some good. (some might say that movie summed up the entirety of his life's good work)

Having trouble locating the article at the moment, but I read a fairly long piece that showed his true colors and that he wasn't the awesome wholesome figure portrayed in the movie.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    D2BlarFWoAI1C8f.png:large

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom