"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A bunch of INGOers have probably seen the Nextdoor social media app/site. Its a way to pretend you know your neighbors online.

Ok, it actually does do some good in spreading news relevant to our neighborhood. But, the signal-to-noise ratio isn't always great.

Coyotes come up sometimes. I think its cool to see pics that people have snapped of them in the area. Without fail, it turns into a discussion of whether coyotes are good/bad/dangerous/docile.

I mostly don't care about that. I'm ready to protect me and mine if a coyote or any other animal goes bonkers. (Reserving warning shots for corralling loose domesticated dogs, of course.) ;)

But, some dude actually posted - and this is basically a direct quote - that "Mr. Coyote who has more rights to this land than all of us."

Wait.

What?

An animal has "rights." To land.

To paraphrase the great Spanish philosopher, Inigo Montoya, "I do not think [any of those words] mean what you think [they] mean."

He may feel different if a loved one, or himself, is being chewed on.

I've heard similar about self defense. It is wrong because the other person deserves to live as much as the defender does. Which is B/S/.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    But, some dude actually posted - and this is basically a direct quote - that "Mr. Coyote who has more rights to this land than all of us."
    Ignorance will be the death of us all.
    Tell the dude that coyotes are not native to Indiana. They are merely occupying a niche left open by the extirpation of wolves. Mr. Coyote got here AFTER we did.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yeah, I kinda felt like I lost brain cells even reading what he posted. (Nod @jamil for reasons not to read Nextdoor.)

In the self-defense context, at least there's a basic consensus that PEOPLE actually have rights. (Nod @actaeon.)

So, no, I'm probably not going to pick up his silly little lacy gauntlet of PETA nonsense. (Nod @spencer rifle.)

:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was curious about the Nextdoor thing so i signed up....I was the first person in my "neighborhood" to sign up which is about 4 square miles.

It's like stepping back in time out here. No complaints.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, I kinda felt like I lost brain cells even reading what he posted. (Nod @jamil for reasons not to read Nextdoor.)

In the self-defense context, at least there's a basic consensus that PEOPLE actually have rights. (Nod @actaeon.)

So, no, I'm probably not going to pick up his silly little lacy gauntlet of PETA nonsense. (Nod @spencer rifle.)

:)
    Just ask if he "assumed the coyote's gender". That'll make his head explode.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    A bunch of INGOers have probably seen the Nextdoor social media app/site. Its a way to pretend you know your neighbors online.

Ok, it actually does do some good in spreading news relevant to our neighborhood. But, the signal-to-noise ratio isn't always great.

Coyotes come up sometimes. I think its cool to see pics that people have snapped of them in the area. Without fail, it turns into a discussion of whether coyotes are good/bad/dangerous/docile.

I mostly don't care about that. I'm ready to protect me and mine if a coyote or any other animal goes bonkers. (Reserving warning shots for corralling loose domesticated dogs, of course.) ;)

Wait.

What?

An animal has "rights." To land.

To paraphrase the great Spanish philosopher, Inigo Montoya, "I do not think [any of those words] mean what you think [they] mean."

OK, if you think that is the case Mrs. Neighbor, then we need to return the neighborhood to its original natural state. But you go first. Bulldoze your house and walk away so those animals can have their habitat back.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    OK, if you think that is the case Mrs. Neighbor, then we need to return the neighborhood to its original natural state. But you go first. Bulldoze your house and walk away so those animals can have their habitat back.

From time to time I'll run into people who say things like "Y'know, we have taken their habitat away. You can't blame them for wanting it back."

My reply is usually along the lines of: "I don't. I blame them for losing it in the first place and that's not going to happen to me."

Usually ends most conversations about this.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I was curious about the Nextdoor thing so i signed up....I was the first person in my "neighborhood" to sign up which is about 4 square miles.

It's like stepping back in time out here. No complaints.

My only real neighbors are the crazy old man and woman who live across the road. I don't need more interactions with than I already have.

I would have even less, but my wife insists we invite mom and dad to things like Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays, etc.:rolleyes:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE]
    Look up the best of nextdoor twitter account. Lots of entertainment there.

I swear many of my neighbors are referenced in that twitter feed.

Current hotness? Multiple people who think the city or the civic council* are [STRIKE]responsible for[/STRIKE] the source of property development. Abandonded grocery property is being rezoned so a developer can put in a self storage facility. Lots of people up in arms against it, and are suggesting all kinds of things they want there instead, as if the city/civic council can make the developer build that instead. And some of them are idiotic. Like the suggestion for a nice cafe or sit down restaurant. But its in a low rent district a half mile from houses that sell as low as $20,000. The very people that wouldnt be able to afford a higher end place like that. Total cluelessness.

*Our township has a group of citizens that hold official meetings to help give a voice to the residents. Developers present to them, and they are recognized by our city council as an official voice of the residents. They often take those opinions into consideration during official votes.

Last edited:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    How come the libs aren't going after Wreck-It Ralph?
    I mean he's like way older than Vanellope and she's gotta be what, 10?.... 12? Or is it because all the actors in it are flaming liberals so it's OK.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    SmarterEveryDay via twitter said:
    I just read the text of the bill that failed to pass the senate yesterday. The way I read it is "If a baby is born alive, we should give it medical care." If you're glad it didn't pass please help me understand why. I honestly don't understand.

Maybe he’s reading it wrong. I haven’t read the bill myself. If that’s the real gist, seems kinda reasonable. If a baby is born alive, we should give it medical care.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Maybe he’s reading it wrong. I haven’t read the bill myself. If that’s the real gist, seems kinda reasonable. If a baby is born alive, we should give it medical care.

If a baby has a heartbeat at all, we should give it medical care.

And not the coat hanger. :(

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

If a baby has a heartbeat at all, we should give it medical care.

And not the coat hanger. :(

Dems believe the yet to be born are not people yet... well they probably list them as 3/5's citizen concerning their rights.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

What bill? What's context for this legislation? I.e. what problem is it attempting to solve?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom