"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    What the heck did Tanika think she was going to do if she got out of the truck? Play dodge cars? Glad he told her to stay in.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Whole lotta not paying attention going on there...
    If you can’t see past your stopping distance you’re driving too fast. Even for your whoopteedoo magical SUV with 4wd, and stability control, and anti-lock breaks. If you have no idea what your stopping distance is, and you’re just driving along, and suddenly a pile of cars appears through the fog you deserve to be in the pileup. The people who did it right do not. But yer gonna hit ‘em anyway beause you’re a dumbass. Obviously rhetorical “you”.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you can’t see past your stopping distance you’re driving too fast. Even for your whoopteedoo magical SUV with 4wd, and stability control, and anti-lock breaks. If you have no idea what your stopping distance is, and you’re just driving along, and suddenly a pile of cars appears through the fog you deserve to be in the pileup. The people who did it right do not. But yer gonna hit ‘em anyway beause you’re a dumbass. Obviously rhetorical “you”.

From the video, it didn't look foggy, and certainly wasn't a whiteout condition. I could see the cars coming from at least 100-200 yards, which, if paying attention ("Hmm, I wonder what that big bunch of brake lights up ahead mean?") would give plenty of time to slow down and avoid the collision. If you're driving so fast on snow-covered roads that you can't stop in 200 yards, well, you're an idiot. (Also rhetorical "you")

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Something like that happened a few years ago here in NWI.
    As cars get better, people get more stupid.

If I could disable the anti-lock brakes and traction control on my Hyundai, I would. I've never had a car try to kill be before this one. It's awesome in dry weather, or even a moderate rain, but if it's even remotely slick, those things make it a death trap. Not necessarily those things in general, but Hyundai's version is no bueno.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I could disable the anti-lock brakes and traction control on my Hyundai, I would. I've never had a car try to kill be before this one. It's awesome in dry weather, or even a moderate rain, but if it's even remotely slick, those things make it a death trap. Not necessarily those things in general, but Hyundai's version is no bueno.
    Our 2nd car is a 2010 Sonata. You can turn off traction control but you can’t turn off anti-lock breaks.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Pull the abs fuse or relay. You'll have to deal with the abs/brake light on, but it will disable it

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Our 2nd car is a 2010 Sonata. You can turn off traction control but you can’t turn off anti-lock breaks.

Yeah, I can do that with traction control too, but you have to do it every time you get in the car. The ABS is the worst. It literally beats the bottom of my foot to death when it kicks in. And it locks the steering column so you're just along for the ride at that point. I went on some Hyundai forums and everyone said that's "normal". WTH?? So, no brakes and no steering is somehow a "safety feature"? Um, okay...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

One better. I had a Saturn Vue. It had an option for traction control and ABS. (or just ABS standard) If you didnt purchase the option, you still had traction control. You just didnt get the switch on the console to turn it off. :rolleyes: I recall trying to get to the inlaws after a good snowstorm. A foot on the ground and their road hadn't been plowed. I had to stop and couldn't get started again because I couldn't spin the wheels. Typically you spin the wheels and you would sloooooowly move forward. Not with traction control, because every time the wheels would slip out of sync, it would kill power to the wheels.

We had to shovel a path for the tires the last 50 feet so we could get to their driveway.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    One better. I had a Saturn Vue. It had an option for traction control and ABS. (or just ABS standard) If you didnt purchase the option, you still had traction control. You just didnt get the switch on the console to turn it off. :rolleyes: I recall trying to get to the inlaws after a good snowstorm. A foot on the ground and their road hadn't been plowed. I had to stop and couldn't get started again because I couldn't spin the wheels. Typically you spin the wheels and you would sloooooowly move forward. Not with traction control, because every time the wheels would slip out of sync, it would kill power to the wheels.

We had to shovel a path for the tires the last 50 feet so we could get to their driveway.

My wife's '07 Lexus doesn't have traction control off switch. Annoying as hell.:rolleyes: Have to pull the ABS fuse to kill it.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    DzuO5ycWwAE6V4e.jpg:large

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom