"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    41572242_10215356245606569_4546021384425308160_n.jpg
    “No matter how cynical I get I just can’t keep up.” - Nora Ephron

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Tell her to mow five acres of grass every four days like I have this Summer and she can have a dandy tan too. #pleasestopraining.

Tell her not to wish for something she may not want. The sun, and tanning booths even more so, can have a very harmful effect. This is what surgery to remove melanoma from subcutaneous skin cells looks like.

(Sorry if the pic is upside down - click on the pic and I think it will appear right side up)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Are you kidding me that we - the US of freakin' A - can't figure out how many people died in a natural disaster, within a small margin of error?

Why in the world would it require an academic study to figure it out? Are there no records kept?

I kinda don't care what the number is. I care that we don't actually KNOW the number.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So this is fitting to this thread... but feel free to carry it over to genpol.

ThinkProgress said something wrong.
    The Weekly Standard fact-checked them, which prompted Facebook to flag or do something to ThinkProgress's story.
    ThinkProgress doubled-down, got pissed, and threw a tantrum.

Now... Slate... is coming to the defense of The Weekly Standard... even going as far to say that it's good to have Conservative journalists.

This is a surprisingly good Slate article.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ct-check-kavanaugh.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_ru

Dm-f4s6U0AE68Ez.jpg:large

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Are you kidding me that we - the US of freakin' A - can't figure out how many people died in a natural disaster, within a small margin of error?

Why in the world would it require an academic study to figure it out? Are there no records kept?

I kinda don't care what the number is. I care that we don't actually KNOW the number.

NBC has jumped on the tweets... abandoning journalism style sheets, apparently.

NBCPolitics
    BREAKING: Pres. Trump rejects independent study that reports an estimated 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico in 5 months after Hurricane Maria; provides no evidence to discount the study; declares, without evidence, that the higher death toll is political ploy to make him look bad.

President Trump argues that the preliminary death toll he was given immediately after Hurricane Maria could not have gone up to the toll that independent study reports with an estimated 2,975 people dead; he does not site evidence to back up his refutation of the study.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    NBC has jumped on the tweets... abandoning journalism style sheets, apparently.

In doing so, they actually help him.

I mean, its not like they can say "There were 2,975 dead people." They HAVE to say there was a study. A study doesn't mean 2,975 death certificates because of the hurricane. It means math. Math that does not actually correspond to actual people.

Which means Trump can claim victory over the MSM.

Even though WE DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW who died.

Talk about an inconvenient truth.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    So this is fitting to this thread... but feel free to carry it over to genpol.

ThinkProgress said something wrong.
    The Weekly Standard fact-checked them, which prompted Facebook to flag or do something to ThinkProgress's story.
    ThinkProgress doubled-down, got pissed, and threw a tantrum.

Now... Slate... is coming to the defense of The Weekly Standard... even going as far to say that it's good to have Conservative journalists.

This is a surprisingly good Slate article.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ct-check-kavanaugh.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_ru

Dm-f4s6U0AE68Ez.jpg:large
    Something something blind pig something acorn something...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Well, it's easy to tell how many people died directly from the storm, drowning, injuries, etc.

What is difficult is sorting out the claims of advocacy groups (money raisers) much later after the fact who will blame every death of every elderly and sick person for the next 2 years on the storm because of some tenuous causal connection that may or may not exist. President Trump is probably about right. Under 20 in the actual storm itself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom