"Are you kidding me?" / Facepalm Thread (pt 2)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

Update. Southport PD says there was a theft in the area.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Jaquon Dean says he was sitting in his car at a northwest side apartment on Aug. 18 when a security officer approached asking if he lived there. Dean says the officer also asked his name and called in backup when Dean declined to answer his questions.

Dean filmed his interaction with the officer, James Reynolds, who identified himself as a courtesy officer for the complex.

The confrontation between Reynolds and Dean turned physical when two assisting officers from the Southport Police Department arrived.

The Southport Police Department released a statement on the incident, saying the officers responded to a call in the same apartment complex just a few hours earlier to assist IMPD on a stolen TV. The caller on the stolen TV said the suspect was somebody in the complex who is known to carry a gun. When the officers arrived, they couldn’t find anybody, but Reynolds kept looking and saw Dean, who fit the description of the suspect.

Read part of Southport Police Chief Thomas Vaughn’s statement below:

“All three officers were legally there investigating a possible theft. They had every legal right to ask Mr. Dean’s (sic) for his identification, and to make sure he was a resident and not the suspect they were looking for earlier. Mr. Dean escalated the situation by refusing to follow a lawful order, at that time the officers had no other option but to place Mr. Dean under arrest.”

Dean was taken into custody and charged with resisting arrest and refusing to identify. Under Indiana law, when an officer believes you’ve committed a crime and you refuse to show ID, you’re committing another crime.

Dean later claimed to media he was a resident of the apartment complex but the apartment complex stated in writing to the Southport Police Department that Dean is not on any lease and is not considered a resident.

The apartment complex states they have strict rules on loitering and working on vehicles while on their properties. One of the responsibilities of the courtesy officers is to establish if they live on property and to report anyone violating the rules.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    2ii19vatfzi11.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    And has now the ex-officer has been convicted. In retrospect, this does not seem like an "Are You Kidding Me/Facepalm" instance. Not even police officers can fire on people that aren't an articulable threat to themselves or others.

Yeah the very initial report went here... so I just kept updating that post as it progressed. Didn't see anyone else make a thread on the situation.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Apparently, landing on the moon first isn't an "American" event.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nei...-american-flag-on-moon-gosling-defends-2018-8
    Neil Armstrong movie 'First Man' omits the American flag being planted on the moon, and star Ryan Gosling defended the decision

The movie omits the moment of the American flag being planted on the moon
    was a "human achievement" that didn't just represent an American accomplishment, and that's how Armstrong viewed it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Apparently, landing on the moon first isn't an "American" event.

https://www.businessinsider.com/nei...-american-flag-on-moon-gosling-defends-2018-8
    Neil Armstrong movie 'First Man' omits the American flag being planted on the moon, and star Ryan Gosling defended the decision

The movie omits the moment of the American flag being planted on the moon
    was a "human achievement" that didn't just represent an American accomplishment, and that's how Armstrong viewed it.

We're going to need a citation of that outrageous assertion, Alex!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ah yes, I remember the human flag being planted on the moon...

Anyhoo, easy way to please everyone- just show all the other national flags that have been planted on the moon.

I am willing to bet that the "citation" will simply be to Armstrong's iconic quote upon setting foot on the moon. Nothing more.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While I'm sure the Hollywood hypocrites are saying it's because it's a "human" thing, I'm sure it's more of a "let's broaden the audience we can sell this movie to" thing.

Though I will state, it was a great step for all of mankind.
    And we took that great step.
    Our astronauts took the danger.
    Our taxpayers funded it.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    While I'm sure the Hollywood hypocrites are saying it's because it's a "human" thing, I'm sure it's more of a "let's broaden the audience we can sell this movie to" thing.

Though I will state, it was a great step for all of mankind.
    And we took that great step.
    Our astronauts took the danger.
    Our taxpayers funded it.

John-Young-salute_NASA1.jpg

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My middle-school science teacher showed us a video explaining why the moon landing was fake.

Back then, being as impressionable as we were, it was pretty convincing, and I'm sure I believed it for a while.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The paper had some Subway coupons in it, so I went there for lunch. I grabbed the buy a 6" get one free w/ purchase of a drink. After a tremendous display of the skill of slow sandwich making, I was confronted with the confusion the employee. After a minute of reading the coupon and looking at the sandwich... "But that's a footlong!?!?" I said "It's two 6"s". She just looked at me confused. Thank God her coworker was there to explain it to her.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My middle-school science teacher showed us a video explaining why the moon landing was fake.

Back then, being as impressionable as we were, it was pretty convincing, and I'm sure I believed it for a while.

Early in my Jr. year of high school, there was this guy who came to our school to do a presentation of energy and conservation. He was really smart and funny and did a bunch of demonstrations about how electricity is generated, and how we all could help conserve at our homes by turning off lights, using less hot water, and all that.

He also came in to our Chemistry class to give a presentation on nuclear power. He talked at length about how good it was and how safe it was. In the Q & A, several of us asked questions about safety and about disposal of spent fuel and other things. No matter what the question, he had an answer to the effect that nuclear power is perfectly safe, that there was no possible way that there could be any kind of accidental release of radiation. He left most of us convinced that nuclear power was the way of the future and with no worries at all.

It wasn't four months later that 3-mile island happened.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Early in my Jr. year of high school, there was this guy who came to our school to do a presentation of energy and conservation. He was really smart and funny and did a bunch of demonstrations about how electricity is generated, and how we all could help conserve at our homes by turning off lights, using less hot water, and all that.

He also came in to our Chemistry class to give a presentation on nuclear power. He talked at length about how good it was and how safe it was. In the Q & A, several of us asked questions about safety and about disposal of spent fuel and other things. No matter what the question, he had an answer to the effect that nuclear power is perfectly safe, that there was no possible way that there could be any kind of accidental release of radiation. He left most of us convinced that nuclear power was the way of the future and with no worries at all.

It wasn't four months later that 3-mile island happened.

And if you study the reports regarding 3 Mile Island, you'd find that the release of radiation and the radius of contamination was much, much smaller than was anticipated for an event of that magnitude.

Nothing is perfectly safe. The risks associated with nuclear power generation are manageable to point of making it the most attractive long term option for electricity generation.

Evidence: France.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Buzz Aldrin has something to say about not having the flag scene.

Buzz Aldrin slams 'First Man' movie controversy, posts photos of US flag on moon with 'Proud to be American' hashtag | Fox News
    Buzz Aldrin slams 'First Man' movie controversy, posts photos of US flag on moon with 'Proud to be American' hashtag

Buzz Aldrin blasts First Man for not showing the planting of US flag | Daily Mail Online
    'Proud to be American': SECOND man on the Moon Buzz Aldrin shames Neil Armstrong biopic for not showing planting of US flag with his own patriotic pics after movie portrayed him as 'obnoxious loudmouth'

I still think it was a decision made so that they could sell to broader audience.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom